Reason
Undiagnosed
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
TX
I have not been diagnosed with FM but I am thinking I have it. Everyone, including neurologist think it’s all anxiety. (Rolling eyes).

Here are my stats:
38 year old female
Nurse
2 children: 5 and 8
On Zoloft (2 years) because I am anxious
Migraines since 18 years old but treat with over the counter medication

History
In 2004 (I was 22) I had a headache, extreme fatigue, anxiety, weird pins and needles and electric type feelings mainly in leg. Labs suggest anemic but otherwise fine. MRI on brain - normal.

2010 (I was 28 and in nursing school). Weird electric feelings mainly in legs, pins and needles, feelings like water was dripping down my legs at different times. Fatigue, anxiety. Lower back pain. Visited back doctor and have degenerative disks in lower back. Labs suggest anemic but otherwise fine. Had another MRI on brain - normal.

2018 (I was 36). Electric feelings, pins and needles, twitching awake at night, not sleeping well, muscle twitching All over body at random times big muscles and small tiny ones, all other weirdness from years before, stomach issues, Right hip starts to hurt when I do certain things and lower back pain. Occasionally right leg feels weird (when hip hurts). Visited primary care doctor 2 times, and a neurologist where I had a neuro exam. Normal. No MRI this time as the neurologist and primary care both think it’s all anxiety. Lab work: Low normal WBC and RBC and B12 on low end of normal (366 on normal range of 200-1100).

2020: Muscle twitching almost constant, no muscle weakness, weird pins and needles occasionally still, electric feelings in legs occasionally, lower back pain and right hip pain come and go. Sometimes shoulder pain that comes and goes. My chest sometimes feels bruised, I bruise super easy but have for a while, random aches and pains, headaches (Sometimes migraines sometimes normal ones), just have weird nerve type things come and go. Lab work: Normal but Low normal on WBC, RBC, Hemoglobin and Hematocrit)B12 on lower normal range (300 on a normal range of 200-1100).

Seems like my body “attacks” itself almost every Fall but a few times throughout the year. I am doing acupuncture and trying supplements (magnesium, calcium, zinc and b12).

I am healthy otherwise, hardly ever get sick with any seasonal illnesses, never get strep or flu. Very rarely get sick. Haven’t gotten coronavirus even being a nurse at the hospital. Praise the Lord.

I am now thinking this could be fibromyalgia (my husband thinks I am ridiculous)...and that I am just going to have to manage symptoms on my own. It seems almost every day is different.Large portions of the year I feel pretty good but when one of these “attacks” happens it seems like something is going on more than anxiety which I feel I have mostly under control. I try not to go down a rabbit hole of the worst illnesses out there which can cause me a great deal of panic but I feel like if it was something awful by now I wouldn’t be able to walk or see etc.. something. The muscle twitching is annoying as heck and that has caused me a great deal of stress but I don’t know what else to do. I don’t have muscle weakness and this has been going on for at least a year maybe two (since my last trip to the neurologist).

Any thoughts or tips?

LA

there is a group on fb called bfs. Have all your symptoms for years as well. Just started Zoloft but have insomnia and feel like can’t breath so thinking of quieting it before it’s too late ( I only took two pills so far). Honestly, I hope you don’t get mad at me for saying this, as I suffer from all of your symptoms as well! I think it is somatic! And it freaking sucks, I don’t know how to fix it. It’s like the brain brakes from over stressing ( my mom says I ve been a nervous reck on and off my whole life). And it just catches up. My only hope is that one day brain will heal with time

Tattat... I DEFINITELY am now starting to think it is psychosomatic or FM. My husband thinks I am ridiculous. My primary care, neurologist, every doctor I have seen since this all started many years ago thinks its nervous/anxiety. I have been on Zoloft for 2 years now and I think it helps a little but definitely not the saving grace and a lot of my symptoms are still there with the Zoloft. Until then, I will be getting massages, acupuncture, taking vitamins (b12 and magnesium) and going to see a chiropractor.

And also, I have read on the bfs forum that Zoloft can trigger muscle twitches to start if that happened after your started the meds?

Tattat... I DEFINITELY am now starting to think it is psychosomatic or FM. My husband thinks I am ridiculous. My primary care, neurologist, every doctor I have seen since this all started many years ago thinks its nervous/anxiety. I have been on Zoloft for 2 years now and I think it helps a little but definitely not the saving grace and a lot of my symptoms are still there with the Zoloft. Until then, I will be getting massages, acupuncture, taking vitamins (b12 and magnesium) and going to see a chiropractor.
Have you ever tried to go off Zoloft? I am starting to regret taking those two doses but scared to quick. Although I have only taken two 25 mg doses

Do you by chance the adrenaline rush/nervousness feeling come and go through out the day?

100%; Have you been to a neurologist yet? I saw that you said in July you were 2 months out from your appointment.

And also have you had your thyroid level checked? My best friend had constant spasms, fatigue, itchiness, depression. And her problem was thyroid

I have definitely thought about changing from Zoloft to some other anxiety medication. For about the first 1.5 years it helped me stay calm when I would have any symptoms and instead of going into thinking it is something like als or ms and going into a nervous wreck panic mode that happened 2 years ago where I was literally having panic attacks because I was so fearful the Zoloft does help me keep from going there....

I have a prescriptions for flexeril, klonopin, ativan bc 2 years ago... I was jerking awake and couldn't sleep... every time I would dose off I would jerk awake like when you wake up from a dream where you think you are falling. That was happening every night all night for weeks. Nothing worked except klonopin.

That is crazy... Yes, the constant muscle twitching started after Zoloft. At least I think... 2 years ago a lot started (symptoms and panic and zoloft) so I am not 100% sure but it was around that time.

All my labs are normal except my B12 and RBCs are all on the low normal. Like literally my RBC's are 3.91 on a normal range of (3.80-5.10) and my Hemoglobin is 12.0 on a normal range of (11.7-15.5); Vitamin B12 is 303 on a normal range of (200-1100).... One thing that it did say about B12 is that albeit rare... some people can have neurosychiatric and hematologic abnormalities when their B12 is between 200-400 which mine has been for at least 2 years ... before 2 years ago I have no idea what my B12 was but I guess it could have been low for a long time...

And by muscle twitches I mean ALL over my body... little muscles, large muscles randomly quick and short. Could be my ankle, back of my hand, thigh, forearm, knee, back of knee, back, glute...

Lol have you had the slow rhythmetic contractions? Those I hate. Those quick pops don’t bother me

I hate them all! They wouldn't bother me either - I don't think - if they weren't so constant!

I don't really have any good advice, but I feel like you are telling my story. I am the same age as you are and I had the same issue with twitching so bad at night when I would doze off, I ended up going to the hospital! I was so sleep deprived. Something always hurts and its one test after another and I hesitate going to the doctor because I'm afraid she is going to think I am crazy. I currently have awful upper arm pain that radiates into my armpit, which scares me. My anxiety is awful. I'm sorry you are going through this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back