Muscle Twitching and More!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Try taking buproprion ( brand name Welbutrin) for anxiety.
Also try medical cannabis if you can get it.

Try a TENS machine for the twitching.

And read my post about Advice on how to manage Fibromyalgia which is in the General forum.
If you have FM it is a systemic disorder, and cannot just be treated with drugs. You have to treat it systemically and my post details ways you can do that.

And if your husband thinks you are "ridiculous" (which you have said twice) then tell him that if he gives a damn about you he needs to stop saying that because it makes things worse.
He can think whatever he wants, but doesn't have to say it out loud, which is hurting you. You are not ridiculous. And no one deserves to be told that when they are trying to deal with physical and/or mental problems!

Thank you for your reply. My husband is wonderful but on this particular topic it’s hard for him (As I imagine many significant others) to understand as all my symptoms are internal.

Why your suggestion on switching to Wellbutrin? Have you also heard Zoloft causing muscle twitching?

Thank you for your reply. I am sorry for you, too. It is helpful to talk to others experiencing things. You should see a doctor bc maybe you can get relief.

I am sorry you are going through this - I was diagnosed when I was 27 and I’m now 60. Back then fibro wasn’t well understood and still isn’t all that much and you will find that you need to be your own advocate
I started cymbalta 2 weeks ago and I heard the pros and cons but for me it sure helped my anxiety, my pain and did lessen the muscle twitching
Hang in there and be willing to have an open mind about what to try safely
Massages always help ... take care

You haven't mentioned things like PT, trigger pointing, osteopathy? I'd try lots of different things and therapists in this direction.
B12: Following a suggestion I've not only been taking the pills for a few years, but now 5mg subcutaneous injections every 2 weeks. Now my level is 2700! instead of max 700, lol, so docs have said I maybe could stop these...
And you haven't mentioned counselling for anxiety? I had social phobia 30 to 20 years ago and still had a lot of anxiety issues about 7 years ago. Counselling helped a bit there, as did books and especially a big social phobia-mailing list in the 90s, helping with ideas like: "FACE - ACCEPT - FLOAT - LET TIME PASS". And the still remaining issues, like fear of heights, stage, being photographed, birthdays (others as well as my own) I got rid of most of, inside, by learning the knack of concentrating on the Here&Now, standing on a cliff, means standing SAFE (and not going to fall, not letting myself be reminded of having fallen). Falling in my sleep I've learned (using and practicing anti-nightmare-techniques in half-sleep) to develop into flying, and enjoying this skill, feeling it as a thrill instead of a threat. If necessary followed by autogenic training to get my pulse down again.
Pain meds harmed my skin and worsened my seizures, others my gut, so I'm always wary and am only prepared to use them as a short-term life-saver until I've installed non-med relief.

I am new to this thread but I want to say that for the past few years I have regularly had a flare up in August/September and I think it's related to the heat. And stress. I get a lot of neurological symptoms like pins and needles and brain fog even though I haven't seem a neurologist. I dislike how your husband thinks you are ridiculous but can relate because my husband similarly doesn't understand what I am going through and gets frustrated that I don't feel good so very often. But I agree with him about trying to figure out how to manage things on your own. I second PT though, it's been very helpful to me in a short period of time.

I have similar issues and was just diagnosed. Left arm and hip pain, lower back pain, ache under ribs, ear pain, tingling in feet, hands and face. front neck pain, fuzzy feeling in head. I thought I was going crazy but kept going back to doctor. Everyone kept telling me anxiety which drove me crazy. I do get anxious now but because of how bad I feel. Hang in there! 😊

I can relate to the electrical sensations, dripping, and twitching. I have fibro, but initially I started with sciatica in my left leg and I had a Morton's foot neuroma. Then, I had a cortisone shot in for the neuroma and two weeks later after walking a few miles I took a shower and when I bent down to dry my toes I had a huge electrical like shock sensation from my foot partially UP my left leg. Suddenly, my entire life changed - could not stand long, had strange muscle twitches , occasional dripping feeling, and all sorts of bizarre sensations. Long story - it's been 25 years and I still think a lot is from my back, sciatica/piriformis, and overall tight fibro muscles. I had every neuro and other test around - similar to you- and the same thing all same normal! It is very frustrating - I think science has much to discover still in terms of how tight muscles affect us. It is especially hurtful and frustrating if a dr. merely attributes it to anxiety - an easy out for a dr. I hope you can be helped. I found a good PT (not typical PT) that worked more with the muscles. Rolfing helped me a little. I feel certain for me the dripping is from a nerve because I had never had dripping until I experienced it short-lived immediately after an EMG test (with the needles).

LA - I'm taking citalopram (Celexa) and guanfacine (Tenex) for anxiety, and I'm pretty happy with the results. It's been 2 years for the citalopram and 1 year for the guanfacine. Side effects have decreased over time and were never that bad. I've been twitchy most of my life, but it's increased over the last few months and jerking has begun. I have an MRI scheduled on 04/02.

This sounds exactly the same as me! My eyes couldn't roll hard enough when the neurologist said its non organic most likely anxiety. I've never felt so unheard.

Got my MRI results back. Nothing out of the ordinary. Next up, neurologist.

I had my neurologist appointment two days ago. Physical exam was normal. The neurologist ordered an EEG.

Hi Dennis: EEG? I'd've expected an EMG first, is that coming up too?

Hi Dennis: EEG? I'd've expected an EMG first, is that coming up too?
The neurologist didn't say anything about an EMG. I'll ask about that at the next visit.

Try taking buproprion ( brand name Welbutrin) for anxiety.
Also try medical cannabis if you can get it.

Try a TENS machine for the twitching.

And read my post about Advice on how to manage Fibromyalgia which is in the General forum.
If you have FM it is a systemic disorder, and cannot just be treated with drugs. You have to treat it systemically and my post details ways you can do that.

And if your husband thinks you are "ridiculous" (which you have said twice) then tell him that if he gives a damn about you he needs to stop saying that because it makes things worse.
He can think whatever he wants, but doesn't have to say it out loud, which is hurting you. You are not ridiculous. And no one deserves to be told that when they are trying to deal with physical and/or mental problems!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back