Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
10/2015
Country
US
State
Kentucky
One of the most frustrating parts of my Fibro is my sudden inability to carry stuff or get up the stairs. Even going down the stairs makes my legs start to shake. I used to be able to carry stuff with the best of them, and now I can barely carry a suitcase down the stairs. I can't seem to hold onto anything that's more than a pound or two.

Any recommendations for coping with this?

Boy, that's a tough one. I've had this too but it comes and goes. Slide the suitcase down the stairs? How about a cart with wheels to move things around on. I don't have stairs on purpose as before we built this house 8 years ago I read stairs are the no.1 reason for seniors having to move. I'm sure someone with stairs will be able to help out more.

have you considered an electric chair lift? I'm not sure if they are covered by insurance or what the cost of one is, probobly cheaper then you breaking your neck. I have a friend that has seizures, her hubby brings everything down stairs to her in the am and takes it back up in the pm.

That's a good tip right there. Many times our health insurance is covering for things we don't even know about and that can provide a good help.

When researching my daughter's fibro, I often found myself ending up on bodybuilder sites. One area of interest in fibro is the mitochondria, and their ability to produce energy. So, I would focus on supplements that power the mitochondria, and also helping to carry away the byproducts of exercise. D-ribose can be helpful. Acetyl-l-carnitine. Adeno B12. If you haven't been tested for MTHFR, I'd look into it. If you need L-5-MTHF, it might make a big difference. Or -- you could try a form of L-5-MTHF, such as "active B12 lozenges", and see if they are helpful. We also use B12 patches a lot.

Fibro is like sports and bodybuilding, it's just that for us, walking to the kitchen is like running a marathon and walking down the stairs is like twenty minutes on the weightlifting machine.

Thanks for the tips! I'm stuck living in an apartment without an elevator for the time being, so I unfortunately am unable to add any lifts or anything. I'll be moving out in a few months, luckily.

I take a multivitamin, biotin, and Vitamin D every day. I'll have to look into those other supplements!

gryfalcon you are spot on with all you say about fibro/chronic fatigue. What a great parent you are. I wish i had someone in my corner like you as i have learnt and fought alone like so many of us.

I have had the reverse experience with many of my family and friends...disbelievers etc.

I had never heard of MTHF?

I tried d ribose years ago but got concerned as i aged with high blood sugar due to stress and inactivity and having to use lactolose regularly that is also high sugar.

When researching my daughter's fibro, I often found myself ending up on bodybuilder sites. One area of interest in fibro is the mitochondria, and their ability to produce energy. So, I would focus on supplements that power the mitochondria, and also helping to carry away the byproducts of exercise. D-ribose can be helpful. Acetyl-l-carnitine. Adeno B12. If you haven't been tested for MTHFR, I'd look into it. If you need L-5-MTHF, it might make a big difference. Or -- you could try a form of L-5-MTHF, such as "active B12 lozenges", and see if they are helpful. We also use B12 patches a lot.

Fibro is like sports and bodybuilding, it's just that for us, walking to the kitchen is like running a marathon and walking down the stairs is like twenty minutes on the weightlifting machine.

I think you are doing a great job putting things in perspective, I believe this is a necessary step so that we can start living our life again.

Various conditions cause muscle weakness. It first manifests as muscle fatigue and twitching which occur over prolonged periods of time. These muscle twitches correspond to specific areas of the body or tender points and tend to irritate nerve fibres. Muscle fibres don't have nociceptors and chronic degenerative disorders are not painful and cause energy depletion. Deep heat massage and the use of creatinine has been known to ameliorate the condition.

That is why I always mention osteopathy. Osteopaths know exactly where to massage to produce the relief.

I hear ya, when I need something to be carried upstairs I ask my fiance to do it for me, is more than capable to do it, and we both know my back is not so well. I know this doesn't sound like the ideal thing, but if something is heavy enough I think there is no choice... of course taking something downstairs is easier... I just slide it down step by step. Can't think of something to actually get things upstairs on my own.

I find climbing the stairs like trying to do the final bit of climbing a steep hill...very slow with sooo much effort and pain and clinging on to the banister to help.

Hard to believe 9 years ago i could run up and down like a child.

It is as if the batteries that make the muscles work have drained down to 5%.

Anyone else like this every day????

Over a year now and loosing hope it will ever change.

I have times when I loose hope, but somehow it always come back. Don't loose hope Willow, it ain't over till the fat lady sings, and I can't sing!!!

Yes, sometimes my muscles have become so week I've had to call my son to my bathroom to reach his arm in so I could us both my arms and legs to pull up!!! I had tried to use the paper holder and it broke off. I considered adult diapers after that.

I purposely don't have stairs. I decided on that almost 20 years ago. If I had to climb stairs there are days I would be stranded on one level. The last home we rented had an upstairs we designated as my sons. I rarely went up but twice my stenght just dropped and I fell down. That was it. I can't walk the dog anymore because my strength has suddenly gave and he's took off!

I'm sending some hope your way Willow. There has got to be a better treatment. There is an answer somewhere, probably hiding in plain sight. A better treatment and I've have heard of people waking up one day and it's just gone. (No I don't hold my breath for that one). Sometimes I think it just keeps going on forever and with the pain and all the psych losses it feels like it will never end. Maybe it won't, but there is a good chance it will. I hope.

So true, better treatments exist and you'll find them to make your days better!

Thank you Opirtosonto. Every peice of encouragement helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back