My advice for managing fibromyalgia (especially for newcomers)

gringasalsera

Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
09/2020
Country
US
Thank you so much Sunkacola. This post is really helpful, and I think that I will try piece by piece what you suggest for diet. I have always eaten healthy, but I haven't had the courage to try what you suggest because I guess it is hard for me to believe that it will make a difference. Seeing your suggestion in writing gives me the hope that maybe it could, and so I think that I will give it a shot. Maybe start with flour? If I start with sugar, would this include honey?

sunkacola

Very helpful member
Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
Uni
State
Somewhere
Thank you so much Sunkacola. This post is really helpful, and I think that I will try piece by piece what you suggest for diet. I have always eaten healthy, but I haven't had the courage to try what you suggest because I guess it is hard for me to believe that it will make a difference. Seeing your suggestion in writing gives me the hope that maybe it could, and so I think that I will give it a shot. Maybe start with flour? If I start with sugar, would this include honey?
Good for you! I am delighted that my post is helpful.

I would suggest starting not just with flour but with all things that have gluten in them if you want to try gluten free. Gluten is in wheat, rye, barley, and triticale (which is just wheat and rye together). You have to read all ingredient labels because wheat is in almost everything, even things you wouldn't think would have it. For instance, most people don't know that soy sauce is made of wheat.

As for sugar and honey, honey is actually good for you IF you are using whole, raw, organic honey that comes from your own area of the world. The kind you buy in a supermarket may as well be refined sugar. It has been heated and treated to the point that there's no nutritional value any more.
I only use honey that I get at a farmer's market or roadside stand and it comes direct from the apiary that is within 50 miles of where I live. This kind of honey is good for you and you definitely can eat it, but don't just substitute it for sugar; be sparing in your use. One to three teaspoons a day at most. If you are wanting to try cutting out all sugar to see if that helps, then cut out honey as well. Wait three to four weeks to see how you feel, and then if you wish you can add a small amount of honey daily.

Flexecif

Reason
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
CA
State
Canada
thanks a lot for sharing this, I'll take this as a guide.

Saz1987

Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
02/2021
Country
UK
State
SW
Hi all I'm a newbie to fibromyalgia well symptoms seem to be worse pain was only in my back for years just thought it was normal back pain but since having my third child via c section this time due to him being breached ...well symptoms started getting worse november right shoulder burning pain arm also felt weak but it wasnt clinically weak went to the hospital pain was bad they thought frozen shoulder...I had muscle twitching random around my body mr google came up with Als well panic mode then shoulder pain went and twitching did also brain fog was forgetting everything and struggled with conversations my mind would go blank and forget what I was talking about embarrassing lol...anyway was fine all december and half of january brain fog seemed to go only had my back pain lower and middle ...then 3 weeks ago twitching muscles started then the burning shoulder pain right shoulder woke up to left leg aching right shoulder pain gone ....then few days later right shoulder back left leg fine ...now I have left shoulder burning pain right shoulder fine ....twitching muscles mainly left leg thigh I sometimes get twitching in my stomach muscles that's weird lol...with all this brain fog is back and dairy needed again just to make sure I have everything I need to do written down takes alot of worry away thinking I'm going to forget something ....doctor as said it's looking like I have fibromyalgia but got blood work monday to check for anything that could mimic fibromyalgia ....my main thing I'm curious about is twitching common with fibromyalgia? Sorry for the long message thanks for reading hope all is doing well ...sarah xx

srdodla123

Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
NJ
Good for you! I am delighted that my post is helpful.

I would suggest starting not just with flour but with all things that have gluten in them if you want to try gluten free. Gluten is in wheat, rye, barley, and triticale (which is just wheat and rye together). You have to read all ingredient labels because wheat is in almost everything, even things you wouldn't think would have it. For instance, most people don't know that soy sauce is made of wheat.

As for sugar and honey, honey is actually good for you IF you are using whole, raw, organic honey that comes from your own area of the world. The kind you buy in a supermarket may as well be refined sugar. It has been heated and treated to the point that there's no nutritional value any more.
I only use honey that I get at a farmer's market or roadside stand and it comes direct from the apiary that is within 50 miles of where I live. This kind of honey is good for you and you definitely can eat it, but don't just substitute it for sugar; be sparing in your use. One to three teaspoons a day at most. If you are wanting to try cutting out all sugar to see if that helps, then cut out honey as well. Wait three to four weeks to see how you feel, and then if you wish you can add a small amount of honey daily.
Thank you for your inputs here . Amazing to have your advice

srdodla123

Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
NJ
Apologies

Last edited:

AimB143

Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
08/2020
Country
US
State
MO
Sunkacola~What a beautiful & well-written, ENCOURAGING post! Thank you so much! Much of what you said is how I want to live my life ...even though I have Fibro! We can do this! Thanks again.

cjshipi

Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
10/2015
Country
US
State
PA
Thank you so much for sharing you're experiences. I agree that each person with fibromyalgia is different. Stay well my friend.

Elaine Still

Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
12/2020
Country
UK
Thank you so much really good advice. It's so good to see it in black and white. I figured in my had that stress might have been a big trigger for me but seeing it written down its really just hit me. I was diagnosed in December and been struggling ever since.
I will definitely try to cut down my sugar intake which has increased only since been diagnosed. I was more savoury however I thought it was my body telling me I needed more sugar.
Thanks for the advice

PEREZMODESTO

I think I have fibromyalgia cause I ache all over my body tired fatigued brain fog muscle tenderness I wake up so exhausted hurting all over poor concentration and that's not all there is allot more but my doctor refuses to even consider fibromyalgia what can I do to show her that it can be something I'm going through I can't keep living like this