My dental Amalgam ( silver mercury permanent cavity dental filling) was probably causing the Fibromyalgia

BombayMum

Reason
Other
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
IN
State
Bombay
dear friends,

I've not posted anything in a long while and thought should share my latest discovery.
during the covid time, I got scant time/ will to visit a hospital, much less a dentist. I had also stopped my depression medication, started exercise and recently joined a gym as well. So, when the teeth were paining a little bit too much, I visited a nearby government hospital dentist. It turns out that he was actually an old friend of ours and had seen my teeth once before, but I hardly remembered due to the time and he was just starting off in his career, quite a young man. So, we caught up and he tells me that I am allergic to silver amalgam. I ask what it is. He says, its the dental filling and he knows I'm allergic to it. I went back home and check whether silver amalgam filling, used by dentists, which is apparently stopped since 2008, is actually a known cause for fibromylgia. I found these articles online, which I confess I haven't read in detail, but here is the abstract:

"The purpose of this review is to examine the evidence for a relationship between mercury (Hg) exposure from dental amalgams and certain idiopathic chronic ill- nesses – chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), depression, anxiety, and suicide. Dental amalgam is a commonly used dental restorative material that contains approximately 50% elemental mercury (Hg0) by weight and releases Hg0 vapor. Studies have shown that chronic Hg exposure from various sources includ- ing dental amalgams is associated with numerous health complaints, including fatigue, anxiety, and depression – and these are among the main symptoms that are associated with CFS and FM. In addition, several studies have shown that the removal of amalgams is associated with improvement in these symptoms. Although the issue of amalgam safety is still under debate, the preponderance of evidence suggests that Hg exposure from dental amalgams may cause or contrib- ute to many chronic conditions. Thus, consideration of Hg toxicity may be central to the effective clinical investigation of many chronic illnesses, particularly those involving fatigue and depression."

In retrospect, I would say that I did suspect this. Metal filings and metal crowns have always had a funny taste in the mouth and I'm allergic to jewellery as well. There is still a post and core filling covered with a ceramic cap, in my dental work and my fibromyagylia pains started soon after. Then I read about mercury poisoning and this heading was sufficient to confirm: Mercury exposure from dental amalgam fillings in the etiology of primary fibromyalgia: a pilot study - PubMed " Mercury exposure from dental amalgam fillings in the etiology of primary fibromyalgia: a pilot study".

So, could slow mercury poisoning from the dental filling (done years back) have been a trigger for fibromyalgia? Also, could calcification caused in the body due to dental disease have any link with auto immune disorder? I hope to test my theory on my own. I got the dental amalgam removed today and replaced it with IRM.

Bests

Hi BombayMum - Sorry that I've overlooked this post! (Found it by looking for "unanswered posts".)
Also interesting that your external link hasn't been discovered and removed yet, but pubmed is of course actually no worry. I'll repeat the name of the study tho, in case it is deleted later (forum rules).

First I stumbled over your expression "silver amalgam", but I assume he and you mean silver-coloured amalgam, meaning mercury amalgam.
Then "IRM"- I've found that means "Intermediate Restorative Material", i.e. Temporary Filling Materials. Good description on darbydental: up to a year. After that "ceramic"? Or gold?
I had all my amalgam taken out 30 years ago and interestingly a long list of strange symptoms which I felt may be related actually did then stop. Something I only realized lately when I remembered that list in comparison to my new long lists for which I can't just take anything out. ☹️. Some say the process of taking it out is worse than leaving it in, but that wasn't my experience. :)

Your pubmed study "Mercury exposure from dental amalgam fillings in the etiology of primary fibromyalgia: a pilot study" is from 1995. 🕰️
These are more recent and show that there still seems to be very slight possible evidence:

Review 2014: Evidence supporting a link between dental amalgams and chronic illness, fatigue, depression, anxiety, and suicide.
The following two are very small and about metal allergy / sensitivity.
2014: Metals as a common trigger of inflammation resulting in non-specific symptoms: diagnosis and treatment
2013: Metal-induced inflammation triggers fibromyalgia in metal-allergic patients.

So I hope and do think that the effort may be worth it for you and anyone with a sensitive body.

Outside links are prohibited normally, but since this was a link to a published medical study at an acceptable site, it can remain.

Does this mean our fibro will improve if we change our fillings? or has the mercury poisoning already done damage to our system? are they ways to counter mercury poisoning like detox or something to take?, I'm one of the 7 dwarves today, I'm sleepy 😴

Does this mean our fibro will improve if we change our fillings? or has the mercury poisoning already done damage to our system? are they ways to counter mercury poisoning like detox or something to take?, I'm one of the 7 dwarves today, I'm sleepy 😴
Conventional theory is that mercury in amalgam is almost inert and can't harm the body from the tiny ("trivial") amounts of vapour, if at all it does harm putting it in or taking it out, if it helps then only because people stop worrying (e.g. Cleveland Clinic). Functional theory is that these traces continue to harm the body of sensitive persons, and that any symptoms we have may improve if we get it taken out.
Problem once having fibro being that taking them all out will be a strain on our bodies.
Compromise would be to do it bit by bit by waiting if they need repair anyway (Also Cleveland Clinic).

Thanks for your input @JayCS . You explained it rather well.

Further to this discussion, I developed some form of numbness ( peripheral neuropathy?) in just three of my fingers in my left hand. I told this to my dentist, but he couldn't link it to the teeth business. The joint pain, which I associate with fibro is also now localised to this hand only. Generally when I used to travel by the airplane, I would get some pain in my teeth as well. I travelled twice by plane this month, no further pain.

Further to my dental issue. The dental issues do not seem to be resolved. A day after a recent(month back) dental RCT dressing, I got acute pain in neck, high fever and gastro reflux. My lymph nodes felt swollen and I was hardly able to swallow. I felt that my breathing was also getting restricted. We decided to simply use salt water gargles as a symptomatic relief. This continued for days and when I visited dental doc again he took an xray. He wanted to reach the cause. The cause he says was maxillary sinusitis, which could be attributable to a recent migrane episode also. Nothing needs to be done, he says and he injected something( a lot of it) that has to be kept in dressing to be evaluated after a month. According to my spouse doc, best way would be to take a CT scan to confirm cause. I'm still wary of getting that done.

Two interesting things happened after this episode:
1.fever is back. I don't remember getting fever in last 8-10 years.
2.voice changed from soft sweet to husky soft.

what are these maxillary sinuses and how are they related to body & health?

Üdvözletem Mindenkinek,
Bombay Mama a CT kimutatja az arcüreggyulladást, ami lehet krónikus, ilyenkor nem mindig van láz. Akut esetben majdnem 100%.
Maxilláris sinusitis= arcüreggyulladás.
Antibiotikum kivételesen javasolt, majd a CT alapján a fog kezelése. Rendbe fog jönni.
A többit lásd fenn JayCS.
By Senior

According to my spouse doc, best way would be to take a CT scan to confirm cause. I'm still wary of getting that done.
a CT scan is really not anything to be worried about. it is pretty quick and painless.
you lie on a table, and get slid into a large donut looking machine... you might have to hold your breath for a moment or two, depending on the specific area being scanned.
It is not very noisy - compared to an MRI which can be very loud, and there is less radiation than a standard x-ray.

Üdvözöllek cookiebaker,
A fogászati CT nem kell belefeküdnie. Állni kell .Van 2 kapaszkodó amit fogsz. Gyorsan megvan. Azonnal kiértékelhető. Elforgatható a felvétel minden irányban és szögben ,mélységben. Precíziós műszer.
Barátsággal: senior

Üdvözöllek cookiebaker,
A fogászati CT nem kell belefeküdnie. Állni kell .Van 2 kapaszkodó amit fogsz. Gyorsan megvan. Azonnal kiértékelhető. Elforgatható a felvétel minden irányban és szögben ,mélységben. Precíziós műszer.
Hi,
I have never had a dental CT scan, so had no idea..
I have had the regular type, however.
Thank you for the clarification. =)

Üdvözöllek cookiebaker,
Thanks for recommending the dental CT. I was wary that its like the MRI machine.

There are some studies trying to ascertain link of oral health, sinusitis and FM

1. Oral Health and Fibromyalgia Syndrome: A Systemic Review, 2020: "Losert-Bruggner et al. evaluated the correlation between FM and craniocervical disorders and craniomandibular disorders. They evaluated pain through a pain index after a bite splint therapy (myocentric) and a neuromuscular relaxation method. Any improving symptoms were registered in a significant manner and authors say that these patients could take advantage by an interdisciplinary approach. Fibromyalgia therefore has clear correlations at the level of TMJ and oral health.......The results show an important correlation between fibromyalgia and alterations affecting the craniomaxillofacial and craniomandibular district."
2. Fibromyalgia syndrome in patients with chronic sinusitis, 2009 : "However, there was no significant difference regarding CT scores between the groups (CT scores were 16.57 ± 6.39 in patients with fibromyalgia and 16.39 ± 6.41 in patients without fibromyalgia, P > 0.05)"

You need to find a Dentist where you can measure possible allergies and contraindications.
The amalgam must be removed with cofferdam to prevent it from entering stomatch , but only at slow pace.
in addication, vitamn C and selenium are recommended.
Senior

Back