My experience with functional medicine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Affinity, if you need any recipes email me. I make a tomato free sauce that is excellent. Even my Italian husband likes this! I didn't know about the seeds and skin so thank you. The white or purple potatoes are the best substitutes for flavor and cassava or yucca is great also. There's a pizza crust you can buy by dairya made with almond flour that's wonderful.
Also a great no tom ketchup that tastes better than regular. Made with beets, sweet potato and carrots.
I will say it's been 6 years on this diet and I have less flare ups and they last for alot less time. My worst flare up without the diet lasted weeks to months, on the diet the worst lasts 3 days to a week.
I am so glad to hear that this type of diet has worked for you! I feel like I have tried just about every diet under the sun to control my symptoms but this is the first time I really do feel like I am making some progress. I ordered an almond flour pizza crust mix from thrive that I am looking forward to trying. I am also making a cauliflower crust this week and probably a pesto sauce. I haven't ventured into the "no-mato" sauces yet but I would love a recipe if you have one.

I have two big notebooks filled with recipes. I can now convert any recipe! I grow, preserve and make everything from candy to mayo to full meals and baked goods. I'm very tired, lol. It's fun and worth it to me. My hubby helps ALOT.

I have two big notebooks filled with recipes. I can now convert any recipe! I grow, preserve and make everything from candy to mayo to full meals and baked goods. I'm very tired, lol. It's fun and worth it to me. My hubby helps ALOT.
Creola, Your last post (seen above) included an email address link, which we don't permit on this forum because it is an outside link. Outside links can be hazardous to click on, so we don't permit them, and that is why your post has not appeared. Please do not put direct links into your posts. Thanks.

Interesting how nightshades can be made more agreeable, thanks for the info, @Affinity
Yellow peppers have a bit less sugar than red, better for cardiovascular reasons; green'd be best, but yuck...
Tomatoes pressure cooked... hm... is that praps why baked beans seem OK for me?
Sweet potatoes are OK? They taste strange, can't eat too much, but better than nothing, and if I can tolerate them better, I'll try.
Avocados: oh good, my GP says they are too fat, but my lipidologist says no problem as I don't eat meat. Been starting again.
Dark chocolate: 70% & vegan is the compromise my tongue is learning to appreciate, but 23% sugar still seems a lot. I try to keep down to 10g by sucking them for a few minutes, that also somehow reduces the bitterness. Or I add some hazelnuts when the bitterness comes up.
Unfortunately this is all not making me feel generally better, but my stomach & gut are good this way, so I can find triggers, like melatonin... Glad you're feeling better tho! :)

Creola, Your last post (seen above) included an email address link, which we don't permit on this forum because it is an outside link. Outside links can be hazardous to click on, so we don't permit them, and that is why your post has not appeared. Please do not put direct links into your posts. Thanks.
Sorry, my bad

Interesting how nightshades can be made more agreeable, thanks for the info, @Affinity
Yellow peppers have a bit less sugar than red, better for cardiovascular reasons; green'd be best, but yuck...
Tomatoes pressure cooked... hm... is that praps why baked beans seem OK for me?
Sweet potatoes are OK? They taste strange, can't eat too much, but better than nothing, and if I can tolerate them better, I'll try.
Try the white or purple sweet potatoes, not as sweet and add garlic. You can even use them in potato salad. You can make them taste more savory then sweet, really.

Ah, thanks, good idea. Garlic - everything onion-like - is a main trigger for my hyperacidity, I usually don't season anything. But I'll try to mask the taste with something with a strong taste that I tolerate, like olives with or without JayCS-agreeable herbs.

I love sweet potatoes and so they are working well for me. I often have then ready to go i the frig pre-roasted and then use the sweet potatoes in place of bread and have sliced sweet potatoes with eggs, they are good! I am getting some Japanese purple sweet potatoes in my farm box this week so I am excited to experiment with those, I think they are going to be less sweet than the garnet sweet potatoes I have been getting.

And yes Jay, pressure cooking gets rid of the lectins in beans as well and so in this plan beans are allowed for vegetarians as long as they are pressure cooked (and for others later in the plan, he has separate phases but that's overly complicated to explain here).

I am still experimenting with these things myself and am not 100% compliant on this plan but am working towards it and figuring it out as I go along. I will be getting new blood work done later this month and so can compare that to the blood work taken back in January or February to see how these changes are affecting me that way.

If you really don't like sweet potatoes go with cassava or jicama. Although jicama is a little sweet. Jicama goes great in beet or zucchini fritters!

Is it good/OK to eat sweet potatoes raw...? - I don't cook much. And used to treat heartburn with a small raw potato - apparently they are alkaline too, so might work.
Some pages I found even recommend eating them raw, but I've also read warnings of a bit of cyanide caused by some sorts (cassava) and oxalic acid (which in my experience isn't good for me, at least I don't tolerate beetroot, neither raw nor cooked and assume it's the oxalic acid/oxalates in it)...

Is it good/OK to eat sweet potatoes raw...? - I don't cook much. And used to treat heartburn with a small raw potato - apparently they are alkaline too, so might work.
Some pages I found even recommend eating them raw, but I've also read warnings of a bit of cyanide caused by some sorts (cassava) and oxalic acid (which in my experience isn't good for me, at least I don't tolerate beetroot, neither raw nor cooked and assume it's the oxalic acid/oxalates in it)...
Just an opinion from someone who is not expert on sweet potatoes (I don't even like them!) but if you are concerned you could just try a little bit and build up and see if you have a reaction. Just out of curiosity, why do you want to eat them raw?

Just out of curiosity, why do you want to eat them raw?
Hehe, like I said in the first sentences: I eat mainly raw veggies, don't manage to cook much, altho I do like cabbage/kelp stuff too, just has to cool off, as my stomach doesn't tolerate warm food.
And secondly if they help as well and quickly as potatoes for stomach hyperacidity (heartburn, reflux & burning stomach) then I wdn't have the solanine problem. The herb mixture (Gastritol, similar to Iberogast) I take, and which helps me is with alcohol, which is tougher on my stomach and its hyperacidity at night than potatoes, and also bitter. Still better than nothing, but a bit of raw sweet potato wd be a better alternative.
But I'll just try it, as you say (and my wife does too, often it helps if more than 1 person recommends me something ;-).

If you really don't like sweet potatoes go with cassava or jicama. Although jicama is a little sweet. Jicama goes great in beet or zucchini fritters!
I love jicama :)

I don't eat sweet potatoes raw so I don't know. I usually roast them whole and have them ready in the frig.

Last night I made baked oven fries using Japanese purple sweet potatoes and the texture was quite different than what I am used to with the orange ones.

You sure are a trooper, God Bless you. I don't trust doctors anymore, with my experiences. I am reading and trying things on my own but I have another problem, I can't use my right leg; completely different other problem too. I have been in chronic pain with that for 4 months now, and have been to so many doctors and they really discouraged me. I am tired of not being able to walk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back