Sofs

Reason
Undiagnosed
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
CH
Hey guys.
So my story is probably similar to others here. To start, I was born with pancreatic insufficiency. Ever since I was a teenager, around 15, I've been experiencing ongoing mystery gastric issues. Over the years this has escalated into the following situation:
- I'm always either constipated or with diarrhea
- lactose intolerant
- gluten intolerance
- excessive bloating
- acid reflux
- general anxiety disorder
- panic attacks (mostly because I feel sick every now and then and no one takes me seriously)
- nausea
- feeling tired and sleepy even though I've slept for over 7.30 hours
Recently I got covid, and a wave of symptoms seem to have arrived months after I recovered from my mild infection.
- pain on my body, like someone was hitting me with a hammer,
- shaking and tremors
- can't sleep
- when I do sleep well I feel super tired
- depressed
These symptoms just come and go, like waves, and I think my trigger is either a very stressful situation or eating bad stuff for my stomach, like caramel or chocolate.
Doctors don't think I have anything serious. I've done some blood work recently and it was normal, did multiple ultrasounds last year and all came out well.
These "crisis" episodes pop every few months. Apart from that I only have to deal with mild symptoms such as frequent diarrea or constipation, and of course anxiety.
What do you guys think? Should I mention FM to another doctor?

Hi sofs, there's no way to know if you have FM unless you get tested for all the other things this could be (and there's a long list) and eliminate all of those.

Have you gone gluten-free? I only ask because some of your gastro-intestinal symptoms are common with people who are gluten-intolerant.

I also suggest that you do anything you can to address the stress, anxiety, and depression, whether that is counselling, or herbal remedies, or stress-reduction practices, or whatever. Try things until something helps, because it sounds as if you have a big problem with these things, and of course they are severely exacerbating everything else.
I am not, of course, saying this is all in your head or caused by your mental state! But I am saying your mental state can make the other things better, or can make them worse, so addressing that as best you can is a good place to start.

Also, if you know the things that are bad for your stomach, I expect you are strictly avoiding them? I hope so. No matter how tempting, they are not worth the result.

Hi, Sofs. Sounds like you have a lot in your hand, but that's all right. I know you can overcome whatever it is. This is such a nice place to be as you won't feel isolated or alone at all. Just do whatever makes you feel better and try not to overthink or feel depressed about all this. Don't hesitate to reach out.

Hi Sofs, I too can see 3 areas: gut/GI, anxiety and sleep, worse after CoV - perhaps long-CoV, but not nec, and not necessarily fibro either.
As sunkacola says finding your diet, CBT, relaxation or similar seem most important, whether or not it's also fibro. Parallel to CBT I('d) pinpoint for 'wakers' to improve your sleep. For IBSD/C btw I'd try psyllium too. Hammering pain alone might 'just' be the sleep. I can't see anything I'd take meds for. That'd be the main reason for talking with docs about fibro. OK, I don't tolerate meds anyway, but in the stage you are in at the moment I'd try everything else first... :)

I recommend you read "The Auto-Immune Fix" and also "The Plant Paradox". Both of these books were recommended by my functional medicine doctor and are about healing gut issues which then heals chronic auto-immune issues. They have been helpful to me and since I have implemented the recommendations in the books (and from my doctor) in January I am already feeling a lot better. I read "The Auto-Immune Fix" first and I felt like it helped me to understand things a lot more and then I read "The Plant Paradox" which is a stricter plan and I have been transitioning into those recommendations over the past few weeks and I do think ultimately is helpful to me. I was afraid these diets would be very difficult as I have tried like every possible diet out there in the past to help heal my issues but I am feeling good, noticing solid improvement, and enjoying the food and so it's been relatively easy to make these changes even if they require some planning and cost more money than what I was eating before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back