Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
01/1995
Country
US
State
Pennsylvania
I saw this in an old newspaper clipping, and since it contains all natural fruits and other ingedients I thought I would post it and see if any of you have ever tried it.

Use:
2 apples, quartered with skins on
2 quarts of water
6 dried figs
8 prunes
10 dried chestnuts
3 ounces of dark raisins
1 ounce of barley
2 tablespoons of honey

Combine all ingredients in a 4 quart sauce pan, bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for an hour and a half. Drink a half of a cup of the liquid, as hot as you can stand it, three for four times a day.

Says it will loosen up chest congestion and help cure a cold and sore throat. The cooked fruits can be eaten, but most of the flavor will be in the liquids.

Siderea

Diagnosis
10/2013
Country
USA
State
ND
Barley? Interesting. This sounds like a strong syrup that would coat the throat, which would be nice. I tend to stick to lemon, honey, and raw apple cider vinegar in hot water. It works, but doesn't coat my throat.

DDavies

Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
12/2013
Country
US
State
NC
I make a syrup out of honey, lemon juice, garlic, turmeric and crushed red pepper. I've never run across this recipe but it sounds interesting. It would at least be a decent shot of vitamins.

Trellum

Legendary member
Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
04/2011
Country
NL
State
NL
Dried figs? That's an odd ingredient for a natural sore throat remedy, I must say :) I was given a really awful tea a few weeks ago, supposedly an Indonesian tea... it tasted like dang chili! I felt like I was drinking hot sauce, lol. But was actually a strong mix of some kind of pepper and ginger. I was told it'd help me cure my sore throat. Not true at all :( I guess the infection was really tough!

Thanks for sharing this one :) Next time I get a sore throat I will surely drink this, I bet it tastes way better than that awful Indonesian tea I tried some weeks ago.

sanders89

Reason
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
Uni
State
Oregon
Thank you for sharing this. I have a few recipes as well that are tried and true that always help me get better quicker. I drink echinacea juice with honey and ginger, this one really helps. I make a tea with ginger root, grapefruit juice honey and peppermint tea. And I gargle tons of salty water for my throat, it really helps your throat feel better. I hope this helps! And thank you for the recipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.