Need help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jenersin

hello everyone. My spouse has been fibro for over 20 years. She had been using tramodol for over 10 years. Our doctor left his patients. We have a new doctor now. She did a drug test about 10 days ago. We honestly did this test. After the test Tramodol stopped completely. currently using Lyrica now. but this drug affects our daily life a lot. because it makes you feel very tired. And she sees double. That's why she can't driving now. Hers old medicine, tramodol, was really helpful. and we survived on this drug for 10 years. I do not know what to do. I love my spouse. And I don't want her to suffer. If you have any ideas I would be really grateful.

Hi Jenersin, and welcome!

How loving of you to reach out to find some help for this.

Tramadol is the only opioid that is nowadays generally still seen as viable for fibro, despite the justified clampdowns due to their abuse. But: It is one, and so can cause mid- and long-term problems. So it's understandable that docs try alternatives.

Pregabalin/Lyrica is a good one, as fibro meds go (which isn't far...). First question there is how long she's been taking it. The dizziness and drowsiness usually only last 2-3 weeks and it can take up to 4 weeks to help.

Once it's longer than 4 weeks you could go back and ask to try a different one, as we're all different, like duloxetine/Cymbalta or amitriptyline/Elavil or milnacipran/Savella or gabapentin/Neurontin.
That's if she isn't able to go without....:

Because here actually quite a few of us do recommend learning to reduce and manage our pain etc. without meds if possible, see @sunkacola's advice post (although I do think most here are using meds, at least off and on).

thank you so much for giving a time. just worrying. I know it takes time. All I want is to keep her pain at a certain level. I am aware that she is addicted as she has been using Tramadol for a long time. I think she's back off and it's causing more pain. I hope we will be better soon. We have a doctor's appointment for Monday. We wish everyone and our loved ones to feel better as soon as possible.

Hi Jenersin,

Tramadol is now being regulated because it is an opiate and is highly addictive and does more harm than good if taken frequently over a long period of time. It is for the best if your partner does not take it regularly any longer.
Other drugs like Lyrica, Cymbalta, and Gabapentin have serious side effects for some people and don't work at all for some people, and they do help others.

I used to take tramadol daily until I realized the grave dangers of that, and not wanting to take drugs any more is what started me on the journey of learning how to manage my fibro without drugs. The result of that is that I spent about 2 years learning and experimenting and these days I am far, far better off that I was when taking drugs was my method of managing the pain. I have less frequent serious pain, and am able better to manage what I do have, and can live an almost normal life. Although not what it used to be before fibro, far better than I was living with daily tramadol. I strongly suggest that you check out my post ( Jay provided the link) on this and give those things, whatever seems right to you to try, a chance to make things better.

Jay is also correct that most of us are using some medication. That includes me. But I have managed to get to the point that the medication is not my method for managing the condition, but rather something I only use when absolutely necessary, and that turns out to be only once or twice a month most of the time. At that rate, it cannot do a person any harm or become addictive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back