DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
09/2014
Country
US
State
TX
Hi everyone:

I now have 2 rheumatologists who confirm I have fibro. The curious thing is that they can't seem to agree on who should treat me.

My first rheumo initially diagnosed me, but said he didn't treat it. Usually Neuros do.

Then I saw a neurologist who also said he doesn't treat it, Rheumos do. He referred me to a rheumo after checking that HE treats it.

I see rheumo #2 this week, who was much more knowledgeable about FMS but said his options are limited - we can try the meds combinations, but we might end up having to Pain management (already have one of those doctors for back injury!)

So anyways - I'm curious - how many of you see a rheumo vs a neuro for your FMS followups? :?: :?: :p

None my Dr treats me , the hospital said there can't give me any diffrent meds then my Dr does. But I'm in the uk so maybe diffrent where you are .xx

My rheumatologist diagnose me, but my GP is treating me.

I was diagnosed by a rheumatologist and internist, but am now working with a family medicine doc who takes care of my meds.

Some people I know get their treatment from a rheumo for the body pain. However, the body pain and fatigue are the symptoms that emanate from a disorder in the lower brain. Therefore, the seed of the problem lies in the lower brain and this is what needs to be cured. Most neuros however will probably not know much about fibro or CFS (I had an MRI done and it was normal). Fibro is thought to be the result of chemical changes in the lower brain that bring about abnormalities in the body's autonomous functions i.e, sleep, sensitivity to environmental stimuli such as pain, bright lights, temperature etc. I saw 10 doctors in the last 7 months and none could help. Now trying some Ayurvedic treatment. I would suggest taking alternative therapies that best suit you.....this is probably a trial and error process. Keep faith and you will recover. Love.

Short answer - Rheumatologist and GP

I have only recently been diagnosed with FMS. I was already attending a rheumatologist for Psoriatic Arthritis. My GP suggested I might have it and said I should bring it up with my Rheumy. My rheumy diagnosed me on the very next visit (he said it's quite common to co-exist with Psoriatic Arthritis). he said he is happy for my GP to monitor and treat whenever I see her, but any issues I can call him or make an appt. As I see him every 6 months minimum he said he will review the FMS at these appointments. I had previously seen a neurologist as I had this electric shock type pain, plus pins and needles and memory issues. He thought it was MS to start with, but ruled it out. Gave a diagnosis of small fibre neuropathy. Treated with Lyrica. When I informed my Rheumy of this he said those symptoms may be as a result of FMS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back