malloryrose

Diagnosis
10/2009
Country
US
State
CA
Hello group,

In one week, I will be going to see a Neurologist for the first time (per the recommendation of my Rheumatologist). Can anyone tell me what I should expect from this appointment and/ or give me any advice?

Thank you in advance,

Malloryrose

Let the doctor do tests and diagnosis your condition. Don't tell him or her, what you think you have, this generally does not go over well. Just explain your symptoms and try not to be overly nervous. If you are going because of the rhemy wanting you too, then he must feel there is a need for it.

Be brave and have courage. The best of luck to you that the dioctor your are seeing understands and believes in fibro, and is willing to help you with whatever problems that you have. :)

Thank you, 1sweed! That is generally my demeanor when seeing a new doctor because they have their egos (sorry to say it.) They want to be in control, so I give them control! Haha Luckily, my rhemy is very kind and patient. She's been a source of rejuvination for me.

Will the neuro do any "electrical" testing on me, meaning do they do anything to stimulate the nerves? Is it painful?

I have been to a neuro but that was for carpel tunnel..so yes they zapped me it wasn't to bad..I think you are going in with a good attitude

Tests depend on what your rheumalogist said was reason for the referral. The tests are not normally painful. Like you say the doctor's additude is usually the hardest thing to figure out. Sometimes their really nice and helpful, but other times they are only pretending to be nice and then their report says otherwise. The "ego" is often larger than necessary. lol

I had the nerve tests and MRI's and CT scans. They often check your muscles really good and have you do exercises to see about your balance and how limber you are. Often blookwork is done and they ask questions to see if you know who the president is and etc..

Let us know how you make out with this new doctor. :)

Hahaha Thanks, guys! 1sweed, I'll study up on the presidential facts in preperation :D

I've done upwards of 30 blood tests this year, and tested positive for an ANA screen last month. I've had a diagnosis of FMS for over 5 years, but my rheumatologist thinks I might have another undefined problem. I've been taking Cymbalta for 1.5 years and Gabapentin for 8 weeks (those don't include the myriad of other prescriptions and supplements that I've tried). The Gabapentin hasn't helped AT ALL except to make me nauseated. The pain is getting worse; it's unbearable.

Anyways, thanks for the advice! I will update you next week!

I've been to the neurologist way too many times! All I can tell you is to get ready for the appointment, just write all the questions you would like to make him, also writing a list with your symptoms is a good idea. He should do the rest ;) Best of luck to you!

I would write down a list of all symptoms and concerns. This can be really helpful. Answer all questions as best as you can and ask questions that you have. I agree that you should not tell the doctor what you think you have. Wait for him or her to give some suggestions. I hope it goes well for you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back