Reason
Undiagnosed
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
Missouri
Hi everyone. I have not yet been diagnosed with fibromyalgia, but I'm seeing a GP in two days after letting my symptoms get worse and worse the past few months.

I've struggled with fatigue, depression, and endometriosis for as long as I can remember (I'm 25), and I started developing problems with IBS in high school, although it was never as bad back then as it's gotten. Symptoms that have developed over the past couple of years are anxiety, an inability to relax my muscles, TMJ, a general soreness/achiness in my muscles (especially my back and legs), freezing cold feet, sensitivity to cold, restlessness in my legs, inability to concentrate, memory problems, and on and on.

I guess I never wanted to admit I had a real health problem, because I'm so young and I thought it was a "phase" that would pass. I used to be an avid runner, but I just don't have the energy anymore, and it really hurts my legs. I also worried that this was all in my head, but after doing research into fibromyalgia and CFS, I've realized I'm NOT crazy and I'm not lazy for being tired all the time; my health is a real issue that I need to address.

Hopefully the doctor can give me answers on Wednesday. Although being diagnosed with fibro or CFS would be life-changing, I'd at least have a face to put on this terrible illness, and I could confidently start my journey to wellness.

sholmes221,
Welcome to the forum You sound like a classic case of fibro, but let me give you some advice. Don't tell the doctor what you think you have, as most of them have big ego's that can't stand to be told a possible diagnosis by a patient. Instead tell the doctor your worse symptoms and let the doctor led out in the way of a diagnosis. The symptoms you mentioned above are a good starting point. Tell the worse symptoms with the first visit and then mention the rest a bit at a time so as not to upset your new doctor.

No your not crazy and your not lazy. I can hear how strong you are from how you have written your post. I and other members here will be cheering for you to find out what is wrong and too be able to get the diagnosis without being made to feel foolish. Talk with the doctor about pain meds, but try to stay away from the strong addictive ones so you won't be considered looking for drugs.

What I am writing is not meant to scare you but just to add a note to take it slow and let the doctor do the diagnosis. If you read around the forum in other posts concerning "Do I have Fibro" or "Just Diagnosised" you will understand why I am advicing you to have patience and let the tests speak for themselves. Be confident and yet not pushy, and I hope you get a very nice understanding doctor to boot.

Let us know how things go and good luck. :)

Hi everyone. I have not yet been diagnosed with fibromyalgia, but I'm seeing a GP in two days after letting my symptoms get worse and worse the past few months.

I've struggled with fatigue, depression, and endometriosis for as long as I can remember (I'm 25), and I started developing problems with IBS in high school, although it was never as bad back then as it's gotten. Symptoms that have developed over the past couple of years are anxiety, an inability to relax my muscles, TMJ, a general soreness/achiness in my muscles (especially my back and legs), freezing cold feet, sensitivity to cold, restlessness in my legs, inability to concentrate, memory problems, and on and on.

I guess I never wanted to admit I had a real health problem, because I'm so young and I thought it was a "phase" that would pass. I used to be an avid runner, but I just don't have the energy anymore, and it really hurts my legs. I also worried that this was all in my head, but after doing research into fibromyalgia and CFS, I've realized I'm NOT crazy and I'm not lazy for being tired all the time; my health is a real issue that I need to address.

Hopefully the doctor can give me answers on Wednesday. Although being diagnosed with fibro or CFS would be life-changing, I'd at least have a face to put on this terrible illness, and I could confidently start my journey to wellness.
I wish you the best at the dr.s. Take it slow and easy. The process of getting to a diagnosis of fibro can be a long road. I work as a medical professional as well as having fibro so here is my best advice. Be polite but speak up for yourself. And make yourself as well informed as possible. Good luck to you.

My best advise to anyone about this is do all the test first even if they are difficult and see a good neurologist who can test your nerve function. Good luck with it but yes it's going to be a long road ahead too. It's not an easy diagnoses either.

Thanks for the advice and well wishes, everyone! 1sweed, I do see your point about letting the doctor lead me to the diagnosis. Although I'd like to just rush straight to the diagnosis, I understand that it will take some time, and since it is my first time seeing this particular doctor, I don't want to scare her off by being too blunt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back