Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
01/2017
Country
UK
State
Cornwall
Hi everyone :) I was diagnosed in January this year with Fibro after years of trying to figure out the problem I seem to be having a very hard time really accepting this... even though I'm surrounded by friends and family I feel very alone and like nobody understands :( I just want to be able to do the things I used to and not have to think so much about how I might feel later on or the next day I feel like i'm missing out on life so much.. feel very down atm I just want to stay home and block everyone out.. Did anybody else struggle to accept diagnosis and how did you get through it ? X

Hang in there! It is a struggle to find out just how much or how little you can do, then suffer later when you push yourself too much! I was diagnosed in 2013 officially! My Mother has been diagnosed for more than 20 years and I knew, because of her, that I had Fibro, but refused to get diagnosed until the pain was too much!

Links Not Allowed

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi zolly. You are definitely not alone on this one. I was diagnosed 2 or 3 months ago and I'm still in denial most of the time. I then do too much and end up paying for it. I'm such an independent and strong willed person, I try not to let this thing beat me but it always gets me in the end. I've had symptoms for years but I was only recently diagnosed after a bad flare. Even though I knew the diagnosis was almost definite, when I heard those words from my rheumatologist, I was devastated. It was a feeling of relief that this wasn't in my head all along but also a feeling of shock. It's so difficult to make the adjustment and to go from leading a fairly active life to struggle with simple things like shopping. I know that's not much comfort to you but you're definitely not alone, this forum is great for advice and support.

Yeah that's what I don't understand I knew something was wrong I was expecting something but to hear it I don't know just can't seem to accept it :( Im constantly pushing myself even though I know I'll regret it later.. I hope in time I'll be able to accept it and be able to understand more about it.. I'm glad I found a place where people understand it's nice to know I'm not alone :)

You are definitely not alone..you will learn in time to pace and rest..there is a very good book by Claudia Marek..called first year with fibromyalgia..its very helpful and covers all the emotions as well as tons of advice and just about every possible symptom and treatment ...so maybe worth a read to help you understand as she is both author and a sufferer and medical professional.

It walks you step by step from diagnosis onwards from exercising to medications to how to tell family and reorganize your life.

You can also ask anything on this forum and will get lots of support and advice and you can vent your worries among people who all totally understand.

I was really frightened when fibro hit me..i just couldnt work out what was going on as literally everything i did hurt me....if not at the time too much then like you say hurt a lot a few hours later or the next day.

In the end you actually get used to certain levels of pain and its the challenge of not overdoing it too often so you are not wiped out later..it takes a while and the better care you take of yourself early on while still keeping active when ever possible will help keep this condition under some degree of control..that and reducing stress which for most of us is a really bad trigger for more severe pain.

Take Care and stay here amongst fibro friends.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back