Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
01/2020
Country
US
State
SC
So lately in my arm, it feels as if I have just received a shot. When I touch the area it doesn’t necessarily feel tender but it has a constant ache to it. Going on a few weeks of feeling it. Has any one else has this type of symptom before?

Hi,I have very bad arms .if I put my daughter hair up in the mornings, it feels like I’m holding up the world on my arms and shoulders.in fact some days I have to put my arm back down and rest.
I sometimes feel like I’ve been on the rack all night.and some days it’s last hours.sadly that’s fibromyalgia for you.
Just to check have you pulled a muscle.very easy done and can hurt for weeks .

Same as Forgetmenot, and I agree with checking pulled muscle: Have you tried defining the area feeling for especially hurting trigger points?
Sometimes I've been able to treat trigger points myself, altho physios are better at that. What I usually have to do in such cases instead is stretch. The sooner the better. When I pull something playing table tennis, which happens often, of course, I immediately counter-stretch and can now prevent it turning bad, which I didn't use to be able to. Sometimes ache in shoulder or arms lasted for half to one year, not any more. You just have to test/sense carefully to find the right movement.

Are you doing any repetitive movements???
I do allot of journal entry at work and if I do to much of the same I get that shot feeling. And then anytime I do a certain movement I get a sharp pain at this exact spot. Stretching multiple times a day and changing my position has helped allot ( if I don’t forget lol)

I struggle with my arms when drying my hair and lifting them up. I have to keep stopping. It feels like I am holding a ton of weight up just drying a part of my hair x

OMG drying the hair is the absolute worst. I feel you...you are not alone. My psychologist who specializes in chronic pain was telling me that because the fact that we don’t train (in my case if I do I am down for a week and +) we lose muscle. Everything that demands a bit of effort in strength will be difficult.

OMG drying the hair is the absolute worst. I feel you...you are not alone. My psychologist who specializes in chronic pain was telling me that because the fact that we don’t train (in my case if I do I am down for a week and +) we lose muscle. Everything that demands a bit of effort in strength will be difficult.
You can prevent that from going too far by doing small careful exercise on a regular basis.

You have to find out what works for you and learn to listen closely to your body so you know how much you can do on any given day. but you have to move your body every day at least a bit...however much you can stand...or you will end up not being able to do anything at all. It's also very important for mental health to do some form of exercise.

If you are down for a week after doing exercise you are trying to do too much, which is a very common thing for those of us who used to be very active. Start very small.....so small that you don't even think you have done any exercise at all. And build up so slowly that your body hardly notices it. That's how to do it. It's not easy (for me it took a long time to stop trying to go too fast), but you have to do it for yourself or suffer the consequences of being too sedentary and really losing muscle, which are worse than what you are experiencing now.

You can prevent that from going too far by doing small careful exercise on a regular basis.

You have to find out what works for you and learn to listen closely to your body so you know how much you can do on any given day. but you have to move your body every day at least a bit...however much you can stand...or you will end up not being able to do anything at all. It's also very important for mental health to do some form of exercise.

If you are down for a week after doing exercise you are trying to do too much, which is a very common thing for those of us who used to be very active. Start very small.....so small that you don't even think you have done any exercise at all. And build up so slowly that your body hardly notices it. That's how to do it. It's not easy (for me it took a long time to stop trying to go too fast), but you have to do it for yourself or suffer the consequences of being too sedentary and really losing muscle, which are worse than what you are experiencing now.
You are so right. I did synchronized swimming competitively for over 12 years. I am sure it helped me at the beginning since I have allot of muscle but now over 10 years of pain... I loved doing hot yoga but with the pandemic everything is close. I really have to find something else. I will keep it mind what you said about very small exercises. Thank you for the reminding. I always want to do to much and pay the price

Yeah, I know. I always did too much and paid dearly for it at first. And I mean...the first few years! I was a slow learner on that one because I used to be able to do very heavy workouts on a daily basis. To learn that it just isn't going to happen again, even by building up slowly, pretty much devastated me.

But once I accepted it as the way things are now, I learned to celebrate the degree of exercise I can do, whether it is yard work or hiking or dancing or whatever. Can't do as much as I used to, but hey....I can still do it! Just not for as long of a time. And I can really enjoy doing it while I am in it, and then stop when my body tells me that's enough. I'm OK with that now, but it was hard for me to learn it and I caused myself a lot of physical pain and mental frustration and disappointment until I finally accepted it. You will too. Best of luck to you! And if you need encouragement, you know where to come. :)

My psychologist who specializes in chronic pain was telling me that because the fact that we don’t train (in my case if I do I am down for a week and +) we lose muscle. Everything that demands a bit of effort in strength will be difficult.
I've been told that too, and whilst it is of course true, it annoys me considerably, cos it doesn't fit one jota to me. I haven't lost my muscles at all. Just like before fibro, I can go for weeks without training and can stem the same weights, cycle just as fast, play table tennis just as hard (all more & faster than many others). It's just I often have a faster exhaustibility and they ache and/or pain quickly, especially when my fibro is exacerbated by wrong treatments or by having to talk loudly thru a mask etc. Of course for everyone it's necessary to keep at as much movement in short stints (that's me) as possible, that's part of it. But I do, every day. I can still win 5:1 at table tennis, but only on very good days, i.e. when not working, can I manage 10 matches (often 8:2), on worst flare-days I only manage 0:4 if at all. But trying to sweep the yard can be hard on good days, and drying my (long) hair is always a problem. It's not (just) strength, it's fibro. Twist-stretching arms & legs & back outwards often helps, so I'm starting to think it's more tendons (or fascies) than muscles in my case.

Hi,I have very bad arms .if I put my daughter hair up in the mornings, it feels like I’m holding up the world on my arms and shoulders.in fact some days I have to put my arm back down and rest.
I sometimes feel like I’ve been on the rack all night.and some days it’s last hours.sadly that’s fibromyalgia for you.
Just to check have you pulled a muscle.very easy done and can hurt for weeks .
Thanks for the reply. What med needs to be increased?

Thanks for the reply. What med needs to be increased?
I would suggest that you try alternatives before you increase any medications. Depending on what meds you are on, increasing them (or even continuing them at all) may not be the best thing for you. There are many other things you can do that could mitigate this problem. Simply increasing medication does nothing to address all of the various underlying issues that could be at play here. Your arm pain may or may not be fibro. But even if it is, treating it with medication is better left for a last resort rather than the first thing you do.

Yes, 100% what sunkacola said. Before you dry your hair or any hard motion spray some bio freeze or slap some pain lotion on. They get me through a day of gardening.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back