Not open for further replies.

BarbaraB

Diagnosis
03/2013
Country
Mon
State
N.J.
I'm recently diagnosed with fibromyalgia, or so my rheumotologist says. I'm just feeling scared and defeated..the past 6 months have been a blur of pain and exhaustion, and I'm realizing that years of stomach problems, and depression have probably contributed to this diagnosis. I'm a part time pre-k teacher, also mostly responsible for a strong willed and a active 91 year old mother, married, but with with no support from an emotionally cold and distant spouse for years....certainly none expected now. Were do I start? I don't want to get up off my bed!

Barbara,
The diagnosis of fibro is always scary. I think it ranks up there with cancer, only because at this time there is no real cure. But keep the faith and try not to get too depressed over having it. This forum will give you plenty of good advice and folks willing to share what they know and hoping to get a few tips from you. Be sure to ask questions and read comments. I am taking care of my 86 year old mother so I completely understand where you are at in that regard. My prayers are with you, as I know how frustrating it can be. Just when you really don't need the added stress.
Welcome to the forum and I hope you enjoy being here and I will look forward to reading your posts and getting to know you. Hope you have a better day tommarrow. :)

Hello all, I was diagnosed with Fibro about 6 years ago. I did not believe there was such a thing and figured it was a bucket the doctors could throw you into when they couldn't figure out what was wrong with you. I have constant pain and every day it seems a new area of pain. 6 years ago the doctor gave me a months worth of 30 mg. of Cymbalta, so i took my first pill 4 days ago. Constant queasy stomach and I still have pain. I have been reading on the net that it may take 6-8 weeks for this queasy stomach to subside. Sheesh, I don't think I can put up with this for 6 weeks.

If it is really, really bad, you might be able to ask for a prescription of Ondansetron/Zofran. It's a small tablet that melts on the tongue and almost instantly stops nausea. I've used it before when I had a horrible, horrible stomach virus and had been vomiting for a couple of days straight and just couldn't handle it anymore. Pregnant women with particularly bad morning sickness can also take it. It's a generic, so rather inexpensive.

Thanks, everyone.....right now, I'm determined and focused to explore all options, and not let fibromyalgia take over my life...(easy for me to say!) Right now, I'm having a relatively calm week...this is how it's going to go, right? Not much pain..compared to other weeks, so I'm trying to read up on fibromyalgia a lot, and looking into some fitness programs. Thank God I have my job and a lot of other interests..photography, drawing, painting, etc. I love this forum......so much helpful info...and it's true, I'm not really alone in this.

Hello! Isnt it kind of funny how looking back we see that it explains quite a lot of unexplained issues we have had in our past!

I am both happy and sad that you have found a diagnosis, like 1swwed said, it can both comfort and scare us since there is no cure (like cancer).
Good luck to you in finding the right mixture of medicines to help!

Also, hopefully in time your spouse can understand what is going on, I am blessed to have one that has jumped into this head first with me. Perhaps counseling or some printed materials for your spouse to read about the disorder might help?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back