New Fibro Symptoms

Status
Not open for further replies.
a 4 day detox and then a 21 day radical metabolism reboot (Anne Louise Gittleman).
i would be very interested in hearing about some of the recipes.. I would love to try something like this, but if there are a lot of things like beets (and related) or coconut, i am afraid it would not work for me.. i can not stand either of those things. unfortunately, yogurt is another one i cant stand.. frozen, or mixed in a recipe (tzatziki sauce anyone?), maybe... but just to eat yogurt.. ewww

ha-ha, cookiebaker, I am with you on the beets! Wouldn't eat those even when I was a child. It is interesting how different people must taste things differently, because if everyone tasted what I do there's be no beets eaten at all.
Life is hard enough, I figure, without forcing oneself to eat something that you can't stand.

hehe, yup.. I have a few things i wont eat now, as an adult.. that i was "forced" to eat as a kid.. thankfully beets were not one of those - I tried them once and just said, nope, not for me. anything coconut just makes me want to gag.. even the smell of it.
the real funny thing is.. i actually like a lot of things now that i did not really care for as kid.. like brussel sprouts.. or broccoli.. maybe because they were always over cooked back in the day?
I love spinach, swiss chard, roasted carrots & brussel sprouts, steamed broccoli & green/yellow beans, most forms of squash, with baby zucchini, baby yellow summer (sauteed with a little sweet onion, YUM!) and acorn squash being the top 3 in that category..
I could very easily live on an Asian style diet.. love rice, too! =P (thank goodness - it is my saving grace since giving up the pasta!)

the real funny thing is.. i actually like a lot of things now that i did not really care for as kid.. like brussel sprouts.. or broccoli.. maybe because they were always over cooked back in the day?
Even more so for me: I don't think there's anything anymore that makes me gag, like "anything with skin" (from peas, beans to a cup of cocoa) used to... Which is very useful now not being able to eat that many foods, but enjoying every single one I can, incl. new ones like pak choy or artichokes.

No beets, coconut or yogurt. No gluten, no dairy, no sugar, and no nightshades. Look up Radical Metabolism book by Anne Louise Gittleman. Worth every penny in my opinion. Information is straight forward.

ha-ha, cookiebaker, I am with you on the beets! Wouldn't eat those even when I was a child. It is interesting how different people must taste things differently, because if everyone tasted what I do there's be no beets eaten at all.
Life is hard enough, I figure, without forcing oneself to eat something that you can't stand.
I have to agree about the beets - they taste like dirt! 😂. Unexpectedly my husband started a beet regimen so we capsule powder. Even more unexpectedly we found a juice that's not so bad. It's quite interesting how, no matter the juice recipe, the beets still find a way to make sure you taste em 😅😂

assuming you mean bok choy - the Chinese cabbage?
yeah that is good stuff in my book, too
Yep :), bok choy in the US = pak choi / choy in the UK and here.
Whilst we also much more commonly have the related "Chinese cabbage" sort also called "napa cabbage", which I've known and liked for decades... much cheaper :).
pak choy has a more spicy taste (wikipedia says "peppery undertone"), so another sort of appropriate German name is "Chinese mustard cabbage".

I "discovered" it when trying to expand the amount of food types I can eat. And it's become more important to me since seeing Berg point out that it is a cruciferous veggie along with other kale and cabbage sorts, something we can supposedly "detox" our liver with, along with glutathione, which I've now been adding for energy & inflammation too (replacing NAC which I no longer tolerate).

No beets, coconut or yogurt. No gluten, no dairy, no sugar, and no nightshades. Look up Radical Metabolism book by Anne Louise Gittleman. Worth every penny in my opinion. Information is straight forward.
Thanks for this pointer, Cutiegirl! Also see her youtube interviews.

I'd never heard of her, but she seems to have been around for quite a time.
Positive recommendations from the well-known functional docs Mark Hyman and Jacob Teitelbaum. Hyman is head of Cleveland Clinic's functional dept (didn't know they had one!) and says he traced his CFS back to heavy metal toxicity.
Wikipedia slags her off for "fad diets" and that her PhD comes from a diploma mill, caustic even considering its generally anti-functional agenda.
Nothing surprising about the foods named tho...:

How do you mean these foods: Are they ones only you avoid or ones she recommends everyone to?
Agreed, all of the foods mentioned can be a problem for some people, even mainstream docs acknowledge that. However only sugar is a problem for everyone, I'd think. There's loads more foods I don't tolerate, but yogurt (plant or dairy?), dairy and some nightshades do seem OK for me, just I prefer to avoid dairy, and need to avoid beets & coconut and reduce gluten. I'm not in a position to reduce anything I tolerate just cos one nutritionist generally recommends to do so, if that's what you mean?

But ironically a chance finding in a blood test a few weeks ago has now shown my phosphates are minimal, altho vital for energy (ATP)!! And since phosphate supps are laxative, I'd do best to fill my phosphorus up with .... dairy, especially yogurt... 🧐. As I want to keep away from eating animals themselves (as well as processed foods ;)). My nuts, pumpkin seeds, chocolate & veggies aren't doing enough yet, the only thing there I can try to increase is beans and nuts, but have to beware of increasing my histamine.
Who'd've thought: healthy diets try to avoid omnipresent phosphate additives in food and I may have lost energy due to "malnutrition" from avoiding my IBS and MCAS/histamine triggers....! Catch 22. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I am taking her recommendations along with my fibro diet book. They do seem to compliment each other. I just like how she explains things. I think doing an elimination diet is the best way to find out what you can handle or not. I like her soups. Easy to make and my body is okay with them. For example: bone broth, a couple of leeks, celery root, Daikon radish, zucchini, yellow summer squash, cabbage, ginger, lime juice, cumin, parsley and coriander. You add the protein that works for you. This is the basis of my elimination diet. And if I have a flare up, I go back to this soup, also. She recommends bitters, sauerkraut, and the like to replace sugar. There's a lot to unpack....I will stop here!

the soup sounds really good, but sauerkraut? that is a big NO for me... I dont do "pickled" things.. i just cant even.. eww.

It's the probiotics in the brine that is so helpful with your gut. :)

fibro diet book. They do seem to complement each other. I just like how she explains things.
That I think is so crucial. 👐 So good that you've found a home base for your elimination diet, that's also a godsend. 👍 Just that it's all very personal: I only tolerate 30% of that bone broth... Of the many ways of doing an elimination diet, several might theoretically be right for us, but it has to click in our head, so we get it and are motivated to follow thru. Same with all our self-care, getting ahead, implementing new habits quickly etc...
I think doing an elimination diet is the best way to find out what you can handle or not.
Definitely. Whether we start like you reducing to a minimum base, or quickly changing for a day or two ("30 day", which is more a skim over for quick GI trigger hunting), or stopping certain food groups for weeks or 2 months for foods that are influencing our body deeper, long-term, or just generally trigger hunting via a food diary....

Hehe - GI trigger hunting.. get all 3 puns?
Irony is that I try to be a pacifist and I'm not sure if I've ever seen a real gun once in my life.... Lucky me/us.

Irony is that I try to be a pacifist and I'm not sure if I've ever seen a real gun once in my life.... Lucky me/us.
you dont live in a gun happy culture, either. ;)
While i try to avoid conflict, of pretty much any kind, I also have no qualms about defending myself, my loved ones and my property if the need arises. so far, it has not.

But getting back on topic.. yes, an "elimination diet" can be very useful, however you go about it. I am quite surprised by how much impact simply removing gluten from my diet has had..
does make it a bit of a challenge when eating out, tho... partner and i stopped for dinner last night after picking up his "new to him" car.. finding something on the menu that would be suitable was... interesting, lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back