Reason
Caregiver
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
IL
I am from Il. My sweet 23-yr-old daughter was diagnosed with fibro 2 years ago. She has been back at her university after a leave of absence of two years. It has been getting progressively more difficult for her. She has only one year left. I hope to find help and hope on this forum!

Oof, that is young to have to start figuring this stuff out. I'm so sorry you have to watch her struggle. I was recently diagnosed at 33 but I think I've had it since my early 20s, with fatigue and intermittent pain......and then 5 years ago when the chronic pain started putting my life on hold, all the pieces started getting put together a little at a time. Everyone's stories are so different, I think the real benefit of these forums is the validation that we're not crazy, and we're not alone (at least I hope, I'm new to the forum). I imagine this will be a great way to help support your daughter, if only to be able to validate her experiences. If I heard that my mom was on these forums for me, that would mean so much to me. My husband has done that for me and it has helped us go through it together.
I hope you find the hope & help you are looking for,
-Sarah

HI yes it must be heartbreaking for your daughter and for you. I started with chronic fatigue in my late 20's but luckily long periods being ok in between and didn't really get a medical label and just kept going. Back then if i rested or sat down it relieved things.

I was 47 when the pain started maybe achy for about 2 years before that. It is one heck of an illness and i really hope your daughter can keep hers at a manageable level.

For me the biggest impact on fibro pain has always been stress so if there is one tip it is for her to avoid stress (hard i know in this world and with an illness) as much as possible.

Having your understanding and support will mean so much to her. I am older but my parents ignore and deny there is much wrong with me and it hurts so much. None of my family ever read anything and in fact i gave them a good book to read hoping it would help them see what helps and hopefully be supportive but they gave it me back and never even looked at it!

My father recently told me i couldn't hurt that much and that if i just got going ie pushed harder it would somehow get better.

You are a great mum and wish you and your daughter many good days ahead.

Thank you for your words of support. I wish you had more support, willow. It is so hard to suffer and the suffering is only amplified when your family doesn't believe you.

How is your daughter doing Tricia? And how are you?

I am a mum of a grown up son out the other side of Uni but i still worry about him and if he has any health issues i cant settle inside until he is better.

He had a bit of a scare last year for having a chronic illness but luckily it seems he will be fine. I was so scared for him as its almost worse when its your child to see them in turmoil and unwell.

I can't imagine how hard it must be for you to watch your lovely daughter struggling with this illness.

Best Wishes to you both

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back