Undiagnosed
Diagnosis
09/2015
Country
US
State
FL
:confused:
Hi. I am new to this support group but so happy I found you all!

I had sudden extreme body pain in January of 2015. It took serval painful minutes just to get out of bed. Forget getting dressed and putting on shoes other than slip ons. After two weeks of unbearable pain, I went to my General Practioner who immediately diagnosed it as Polymyalgia Rhuematica. He gave me a prescription for steriods and said that within several months, the pain would subside. Not much improvement and more anxiety as I am a first grade teacher with a classroom full of active children. I have to be able to get up and do my job ,as well as the other things required to do my job well. I have a mortgage to pay and bills, like everyone else. I am not able to retire yet and cannot afford to not work. Plus, I am a very active person in general with lots of energy. I enjoy going to the gym for both my mental cleansing that it brings to me as well as the physical benefits. So everything changed for me.
My family suggested I see a Rhuematologist. He ordered several tests and blood work. He determined that I actually have Fibromylagia. So, I now have to ween off the steriod, that I in fact did no tneed to be taking, which will take up to six months to be done with them. My Rhuematologist started me on Gabapentin, 200mg, two times per day and 600 mg at night. I am so frustrated because it gives me very little relief and I just hurt all the time. My next appt is not till Nov. 11 but thinking I may need to call and see if I can get in sooner. My main area of intense pain is my knees, my hips and my shoulder blades/ribs. But this weekend, I have had intense pain in my shoulders, neck and up into my skull. Such a strange illness and tough when I was an active person with very little pain - except for when I over did it at the gym.
I am glad to find this site as just the little I have read of others stories/comments, it gives me comfort as you all "get it"!

Hi Swflteacher, I too am recently diagnosed and also work with children. I am on sick leave right now and due to go back to work in November part time. I am the same as you. I get horrible shoulder, back and rib pain. Just started on Lyrica, will see how it goes. Was having luck with Tramadol but don't think my doctor wants to prescribe it long term. Keep in touch and let me know about your treatment.

Hi and welcome. It sure is a tough illness and yes we do understand. Its so difficult to get your head around as we were all healthy and often very fit active people with good jobs and busy lives.

If the medication doesn't help much ask about alternatives. There are lots from low doses of antidepressants to stronger things like Tramadol.

You can ask anything here and off load your worries.

Hashik can you not insist on the Tramadol if it helps as your doctors job is to keep you functioning and as far as possible out of pain. I would try saying from this angle if the Tramadol helped give you quality of life.

Welcome.i offen look at myself and think of God I'm fat, and the worse part is I hurt to much to lose the weight.this illness does indeed take a lot from u.

HI. Thank you for your response to my post. I would love to know how the Lyrica is working for you. I have heard mixed reviews as everybody is different and how we each respond to medication is different as well. I sure wish that there was one sure thing remedy so that we can all stop the suffering. I just went to my rhuematologist and due to my continued deep pain, he increased my Garapentin doseage to 400mg every six hours and 100mg of Tramadol. It has helped to subside the pain somewhat. So I am relieved about that but still very painful. I also know it has only been three days, so maybe more pain relief will follow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back