Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
09/2015
Country
US
State
OH
Hello all! I was diagnosed with severe chronic fatigue syndrome and fibromyalgia in September 15'. My 4 kids, now older teens kept me so busy that I was always tired and thought it was the norm for a busy mom, until about 6 yrs ago I kept getting symptoms to where they all came together and I panicked and was tested for MS. The fatigue has gotten worse and I'm now worried about losing my job. I have fmla and try not to abuse it but my mornings are horrible 😕 and I end up being 15 min late or so, but I rarely call off. I'm so frustrated and I don't think I would qualify for disability. Thanks for listening ☺

Hi Ruuster. Welcome. I know it is so frustrating and overwhelming. Hang in there your not alone, for being what appears to be weak, sickly people we are all actually stronger then healthy people. We have survived against the odds and keep on fighting through the muck every minute off every day.
I don't know about disability for CFS, I would check with your doctor and other resources and even if it's never happened before there is always a fist! If you feel you are heading in the direction of loosing/unable to do your job because of it I would start now as your energy most likely will not get better as long as your pushing yourself to keep going when it needs rest.
Welcome again. ��

I also have fibro, CFS and severe depression. I applied for disability and was turned down twice which is the norm. I hired an attorney and am waiting for a hearing before an administrative law judge. My attorney seems to think I have a 90 per cent change of winning but it is a long process. I have been waiting for almost two years. Not to be nosy but what is your age? That can work in your favor. I will be 61 next month. The older you are the better chance you have of getting it if your medical records can back it up. If you are working though that most likely will go against you. I had to quit work because I could no longer do the job expected of me and I am to old to start something new. All you can do is apply and see what happens but like I said be prepared to wait a long time.

Ruuster, I JUST tonight posted about getting approved for disability tips. I think I put it under Moan, Whine section. I don't think that if you only have chronic fatigue, you can't get disability. I worked for a lot of years and struggled under FMLA as well. I got it, but it took some strategic planning. I think if someone really is unable to work, and has the right support system, it's possible. I started with being put on a month medical leave because I was unable to work consistently after being put on part-time. I was a full-time manager, but having fibro, chronic fatigue, colitis, IBS, headache, etc issues. I was 49. Please look up the post. I hope it is helpful.

Krista, Your statement "...if your medical records can back it up." is the key....100%

I did a long post yesterday saying welcome Ruuster that wasn't accepted. I was going to basically say the same as Krista and terbaer and Eyesup.

If you could possibly reduce your hours at work and take care of your health as a priority with more rest and pacing that might improve your quality of life.

As far as disabilty i know it's a bit different in the US but its hard in the Uk now too but not 7 years. However like terbaer says make sure all yoir symptoms and how it affects your life get documented iin your medical records.

Report and reiterate the pain/fatigue and all other symptoms you get whenever you see your doctor and you could always put it in writing yourself as a regular update to your doc including your struggles at work as a letter cant be ignored and would be put on file.

If you are silent it looks like you are coping ok even though you are not. I wish you good luck. Hugs x

Exactly Willow!

Thanks so much for all the replies, I really appreciate the info. Willow, I am sorry your post wasn't accepted?? Im not sure why I've been so busy this is the first time since I posted I've been on. My fiancé spoke with an atty this past week and basically I'm too young (44) and I work too much. I do have fmla, for the CFS/migraines, but that is only going to go so far. I've never been a morning person, and its horrible now to the point that I get tired after taking a shower. I end up being 15-30min late to work (using my fmla), commuting almost 90 min doesn't help either. I'm not accepting this disease very well.. I am full subborness, half irish and half Sicilian. I have 4 older kids 23, 19,17, 15 and....wait for it....and now my granddaughter who is 2..i have legal custody. I think that maybe I need to look into a different doc? I am seeing a neurologist orig for my migraines and add, now this. Maybe a rheumatologist? Ive seen this doc for over 10yrs but when filing out the fmla form the RN said he wouldn't approve me time for being late because how would that make him look to other docs...I had many words to say, to which I was able to at least get 3-4x a mth and unfort its a struggle 4 out 5 days, once I get to work im better because Im usually busy its the mornings that kill me. :(

Thanks so much for all the replies, I really appreciate the info. Willow, I am sorry your post wasn't accepted?? Im not sure why I've been so busy this is the first time since I posted I've been on. My fiancé spoke with an atty this past week and basically I'm too young (44) and I work too much. I do have fmla, for the CFS/migraines, but that is only going to go so far. I've never been a morning person, and its horrible now to the point that I get tired after taking a shower. I end up being 15-30min late to work (using my fmla), commuting almost 90 min doesn't help either. I'm not accepting this disease very well.. I am full subborness, half irish and half Sicilian. I have 4 older kids 23, 19,17, 15 and....wait for it....and now my granddaughter who is 2..i have legal custody. I think that maybe I need to look into a different doc? I am seeing a neurologist orig for my migraines and add, now this. Maybe a rheumatologist? Ive seen this doc for over 10yrs but when filing out the fmla form the RN said he wouldn't approve me time for being late because how would that make him look to other docs...I had many words to say, to which I was able to at least get 3-4x a mth and unfort its a struggle 4 out 5 days, once I get to work im better because Im usually busy its the mornings that kill me. :(

Mornings are bad for me too.

Ruuster, I don't think that just because you are 44, you would be excluded. If you are able to work part-time, that might be your best bet. I also get migraines. I developed them from fibro pain, who'da thunk? So, I applied at 49 and was approved. I don't know how many years you have worked, but I paid into SS for 34 years at that point. I got to the point that I wasn't able to work consistently at a reduced schedule. When my doc put me on a month medical leave, it ended up opening my eyes at the struggle I was going through. My work was great, thank goodness, because they had me using shared leave, but I was able to apply for disability during my time off. I also used the FMLA paperwork as back-up to show duration and that it was needed.

I would encourage you to read the post I made a week or two ago about How to apply for SSD to at least get an idea of what I did. I hope it helps.

Mornings are still hard for me :-( .... Gentle hugs

Hi there! So sorry to hear you are going through this :( I hope you get your disability approved, the moment you know you can no longer go on working is hard enough, fearing not to get your disability approved is even worse. I will keep you in my prayers.

Thanks terbaer I think I definitely have my work cut out for me. I guess right now my worry is we can't afford for me not to work, I don't want to get fired either. I have a paper trail but since I'm newly diagnosed there's not much but there have been med adjustments. I'm thinking I need to go to a different doc someone who specifically specializes in fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue. Im afraid if I stay home I'll just shrivel up...it's horrible every morning and I'm tired but it keeps me moving and thinking. I used to work with patients and then went to an office job 5 yrs ago, I'm actively looking for something closer and maybe where I have more contact with patients. Thanks so much for all the advice I so appreciate it!

Hang in there Ruuster. That was what I believed too, that I couldn't afford to not work. As the major breadwinner, we took a $50k a year cut, but, you know what? We're making it just fine. Don't ask me how....lol, but we are. Your commute is LONG! I think you are right that if you found a doc that specialized in fibro and chronic fatigue, and found a job closer, it would be very helpful. I'm still looking for one (doc specialized in fibro and chronic fatigue). I was very fortunate, because my primary was supportive, my neurologist was meticulous in his notes and my gastro was supportive.

If you are still able to work, by all means, keep working! Just figure out how to make some adjustments so you can succeed. I love working with people so I get it. It feeds me to be around people. Keep on keeping on, but if you get to the point where you can't anymore, don't beat yourself up. Good luck to you. Can't wait to see a post that you found the perfect job closer to home! :)

Hallo there Ruuster. Your problems centre around chronic fatigue. I bet you also have insomnia. What medicines were you given on diagnosis? Don't give up or quit from your work station. Hang in there and apply for SD so as to have a soft landing if necessary. You should also talk to your physician on the possibility of taking melatonin in order to have a good night of sleep. Keep changing sitting positions at your work place and things will sort themselves out. A hot bath before sleeping and some glasses of warm milk will induca sleep. Take a heavy breakfast in order to set up your energy levels.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back