Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
09/2011
Country
US
State
CA
Hello all, I'm new here and I don't have anyone to talk to about this. I've been diagnosed with fibromyalgia and am currently not on meds. I can't tolerate lyrica, and was on neurontin for awhile. I quit taking that about a year + ago because of dental issues.

Some background, I have back issues as well and epilepsy, but because of some neurological issues unrelated, I'm waiting on authorization for tests to evaluate me for MS.

Now to my question! Normally my fibromyalgia comes with fatigue and a burning sensation that's usually manageable. But I started having muscle weakness and soreness in my arms that's turned I to extreme pain, shaking hands, and the inability to lift my arms. I feel hot all over, and I'm sweating. That's normal for me usually when I have flare ups. But this feels like I've been repeatedly beat with a baseball bat and even the smallest of tasks are daunting. When my significant other grazes any part of my body while assisting me, it feels like I'm being hit with a baseball bat over bruises. I've also experienced a foggy head, and electric shock feelings and spasms. I actually went to emergency, and they said its the fibromyalgia and refilled my norco. It's never been like this or this bad before and I'm wondering if it's because of the fibromyalgia or if it's unrelated/abnormal? Any insight would be so helpful. Please help :( this has been going on for a few days and it's worsening.

Any insight would be helpful.

It could certainly be your condition, however I feel that it would be worth asking your doctor whether you would be able to go for some kind of test to see if there is any other underlying problem. One of the main issues with Fibromyalgia is that it can mask other conditions, which are written off as part of fibro but then turn out to be something completely on their own, that could get worse if it is ignored. Your doctor should be able to guide you a little better than A&E staff, as s/he will know about your past, and the types of symptoms that you regularly experience. They may be able to change or increase your pain relief, which could improve your condition a lot - but the important thing is that you get the answers and rule out anything else.

I have the same thing :(
I noticed certain foods flare me up. And cause spasms and the hot sweats. I'm keeping a food diary. So far I can see a correlation between wheat and also tap water.
Fibro is crazy isn't it? Always thinking surely, there is some damage going on (but they say there isn't).

Everyone experiences this differently, so it could be part of your fibro or it could be something different, the good thing is you are going to be evaluated for MS, that in my opinion is a very good thing! I think you just need to relax and see what happens, hopefully it's nothing serious!

Personally i will advice you to take you medications very seriously because any attempt for you not to do so may lead to the ailment even getting worse than it currently is so my recommendations will b that in your best interest just make sure you take it as at when do as prescribed by the physician.

I have an appointment with the pain management clinic finally. Hopefully they'll be able to address both my back pain and my fibromyalgia. Thanks for the replies!

Have they checked you for vit d deficiency? Last winter i thought my fibro was getting much worse, but it was my vit d got too low...the symptoms were hidious

Hi, Pandora. Welcome to the forum. I am glad to see you got an appointment with pain management. I do hope they will be able to help you with your back pain and the fibro as well. I also hope the authorization will come through for your MS test very quickly. Getting diagnosed is the first shot fired in this war with chronic sickness.

The new symptoms you mentioned, "But this feels like I've been repeatedly beat with a baseball bat and even the smallest of tasks are daunting. When my significant other grazes any part of my body while assisting me, it feels like I'm being hit with a baseball bat over bruises. I've also experienced a foggy head, and electric shock feelings and spasms," are symptoms I have been experiencing on and off from several months back to 2-3 years. One morning this past May, I woke up and was unable to use my hand at all for several hours, and then only minimally after that. It really scared me, as the women in my family have RA going back 4 generations. Each morning since, it is always at least an hour after I wake up that I can use my hand for anything, because I force myself to do seemingly simple hand and finger exercises. However, I have been tested very recently for a plethora of autoimmune diseases and vitamin deficiencies. So... I am forced to believe that it is all due to the fibro.

As cherrygirl mentioned, many things can cause us to flare up. Certain foods and/or poor diet, poor sleep, weather changes, hormone fluctuations, grief and/or an unusually large amount of stress (I know that stress is a relative term for most of us. Just having fibro is a stressful thing in and of itself!) are just some of my known triggers. And if several of your "triggers" happen at once, you may find yourself experiencing a new level of intensity of pain and discomfort.

The one symptom that reminds me of something other than fibro is when you said, "the inability to lift my arms." That threw up a red flag for me. I experience this to a certain degree. But my grandmother woke up one morning feeling very badly "all over." She had us call her doctor for an appointment. But the first time she tried to raise her arms, she found she was unable to do so at all. And when she tried to get out of bed, she fell straight to the floor. What she was experiencing was guillain-barré syndrome. If this inability to lift your arms continues, gets worse or does not go away, please do talk to your doctor as soon as you can.

Please let us know how your pain management appt goes, and please know that you now have many people to talk to about your condition. Many caring, understanding and knowledgeable men and women belong to this site. They are here when you need them! {{gentle hugs}}

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back