Cloudy Skies

Diagnosis
04/2013
Country
US
State
FL
Hello Everyone,

I was diagnosed a week ago with Fibromyalgia and I have started taking Lyrica for the pain. I am still debilitated. Is it normal to have this much pain so quickly?

Melissa

CloudlySkies,
Yes, it is quite common to be in a lot of pain in the early stages and later on. Sometimes it is just the nature of the beast, and other times it comes from trying to do too much and having stress from not being able to do the things you really want to do. The muscles get tight and tension builds and your not able to relax those muscles so they being to hurt. If you read through the chronic pain questions and answers, you will find tips for relieving pain, as well as, in the everything about fibro sections. I hope the pain medication helps you and you feel better soon.

Some people get massages and that seems to help them. I would say try to do actives that are easy and don't try to keep everything perfect all the time. Pace yourself and relax by reading a good book or watching a good movie. Do hobbies that relax you and are fun to do. Try taking baths, if you have a tub, in warm (not hot) water with a cup of epson salts. It helps muscles to relax. Great to do just before bedtime.

Other people have offered great ideas that work well for them. I hope you will continue to come here and post some questions and join in with answers. See you around the forum. :)

Hello Melissa,

There are many things you will learn as you take on the journey of taming the beast. You will need to learn to listen to your body. When you are in pain do something simple like deep breathing. I agree with sweed - work through the pain by reading or doing something you enjoy. There will be good days and bad.

I was diagnosed with FM in 1999. It has been one long journey. It took a while for me to allow others to help me. To be perfectly honest I sometimes still resent not being able to do some things I thought I could not live without. But it is not the end of the world. You will find ways to adjust.

My best friend from high school had a garage sale yesterday. I could have stayed home but I would have missed getting a beautiful notepad that looked liked a book. The cover was actually a canvas with the most beautiful flower hand painted and signed by my friend. It brought me great joy and will continue to do so as she and her husband are moving either to Florida or Nevada.

Toots47

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back