Sindy

Diagnosis
05/2013
Country
RSA
State
W. Cape
Hello<

I'm Sindy> I've just been diagnosed with fibro. my ordeal started a year n half ago> been in and out of doctors rooms and ER's. Started suddenly one day- feeling faint and increased heart rate-thought I was having a heart attack. Started hyperventilating and pain sown my left arm> went to ER - ECG was clear. Needless to say I spent a fortune and lots of time running to doctors. eventually they started treating me for anxiety and depression.
Been feeling better except the constant pain I feel on my chest daily and the choking feeling I have in my throat_ please tell me- does anyone have these symptoms?. :(I still worry that I have a heart problem> I have had several ecg's and a full cardiac assessment- all normal.

Hi Sindy welcome to the forum,sorry to hear how you are feeling. My symptoms started 18 months ago and I have been recently diagnosed. I have the chest pains and have had it radiate down my arm and into my throat. I too have been to ER, and had all tests come back clear. Since I started having symptoms I have had almost every scan and test out there. Fibro symptoms can be scary when they are new, but please do not hesitate to post any questions/concerns on here. Everyone here is very friendly/helpful and check out older posts for tips on how others deal with symptoms that may help you. Hope you feel better soon, Tina

Sindy,
Welcome to the forum. Yes, I have experienced just what you are going through. The arm pain and chest pain and tight-feeling in throat. In the early years of having fibro I too spent a lot of money going to different doctors trying to find answers, but wasted all that money. Fibro throws scary symptoms out on a regular time frame. when you panic, as I did, then your brain starts creating ideas in your head that you are dying. The panic can also cause a flare which brings in more odd symptoms that almost match up with real serious illnesses. Note: I said almost. The worse things you can do is run to the hospital. An EMR visit can cost thosands of dollars. Try to see your family doctor more often, so he or she, can help you cope with these odd symptoms.

Next, find yourself a mental health counseler. No, I do not think your crazy. But in the beginning we all need as much support and help as we can get. We need people who can get to know us and help calm those fears by talking it out with someone not related who can be non-judgemental, and often just listens then offers suggestions to help us deal without fear. Many of us do not do this important step do to fear of what other people may think, but who cares what others think, when we need someone to hear and understand.

On this forum we try to answer all questions. Sometimes like tinal said it is a good idea to go back and read the older posts to gain knowledge of a certain topic. Please ask questions. There are lots of people on this site struggling the same as you and in doing so have developed coping skills that they can share with others. You will develop more on your own as well, but for now keep a open mind and try to do all things that might improve your state of mind. I hope you can learn relaxing types of exercise and things that will calm you.

There is a condition that goes along with fibro that is called "costochondritis" this is inflamation in the lining of your chest wall muscles. It causes the muscles to cramp and tighten around different nerves. This is what feels like a heart attack in fibro. Curing it is done by using a heating pad and relaxing. If you can relax your stress level and don't plan to much in your days, the pain will get better and go away.

I hope these ideas help you and please come often and read the posts and try to apply some of them to your life. :)

Hi Sindy welcome to the forum,sorry to hear how you are feeling. My symptoms started 18 months ago and I have been recently diagnosed. I have the chest pains and have had it radiate down my arm and into my throat. I too have been to ER, and had all tests come back clear. Since I started having symptoms I have had almost every scan and test out there. Fibro symptoms can be scary when they are new, but please do not hesitate to post any questions/concerns on here. Everyone here is very friendly/helpful and check out older posts for tips on how others deal with symptoms that may help you. Hope you feel better soon, Tina

Thanks TinaL

I really appreciate your response. I've been at such a loss with my symptoms and have had periods of intense frustration> I started feeling better after a while when I changed my diet and supplements. However, for the past few weeks I've had tis pressure on my chest almost every day and I find myself starting to worry AGAIN about my heart:(:(.

hi, 1sweed

Thanks for the kind words and advice. this condition has changed my life so drastically- I cant make plans because I don't know how i'm gonna feel< I don't hav enough confidence to go to the mall or anywhere by myself because sometimes the pain on my chest is so frightening that I'm convinced that I'm having or about to have a heart attack. When I breathe I feel like I'm not getting enough air into my lungs< doing things like going up a ladder or a bending down and getting up sends my heart racing. sometimes even laughing horts my chest> I feel drained most of the time and my left arm goes through numbness and cold sensations at any time. I find that I cant do anything too physical then I feel as if my heart is racing/pounding> generally this makes me think that there's something wrong with my heart. As I've mentioned before- I've had stress tests and several ECG's- all clear.

just two days ago, while on holiday, I was watching tv and all of a sudden my left arm felt completely numb -the next thing I know im starting to have palpitations n start panicking. I was convinced something bad was going to happen to me. I suppose I was having a panic attack> I haven't had one in months. I used to have them often. I feel quite depressed that this has happened- I thought I was over the panic attacks.

I feel like I'm regressing because I had gotten to the stage where I could go to the mall and do things on my own without having to worry about a panic attack or without having the fear of a heart attack> feel like I've taken 20 steps backward.

Having been diagnosed with fibro helped a bit and even made sense and I was grateful that I could now settle down my emotions and work at getting better> having this panic attack has caused all the ugly monsters to rear its heads> I have lost all the confidence that I gained these past few months>

P.S. - has this happened to anyone else?

I think most of us with fibro feel like you do at times. We have good days where we feel we can do almost anything and then fibro smacks us with a big flare. I agree with sweed a counselor can be helpful for dealing with the anxiety/stress. And remember that good days will return, just pace yourself and don't over do it. I have finally accepted the fact that there are days when I wont drive or go out on my own and I keep myself busy at home (good time to check out older posts).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back