Status
Not open for further replies.

Lindadoodie

Hi
I've had fibromyalgia 36 yrs now, I've noticed that things seem to flare up alternately!! I've just had chest pain & bad stomach, got that right then bladder & bowel started!! Really painful I get this a lot, just wondering if any others have painful bladder problems?

Hi Linda, and welcome! 👋
The sensation of symptoms alternating is common in fibro, and I think it's due to symptom areas flaring independently of one another (so accidentally alternating), but also them maybe being connected, so one setting the next off.
So maybe your bladder and bowel symptoms are either connected to the chest and stomach symptoms or connected to your treatment of them. In your case they are moving further down the GI tract, so it doesn't seem completely unlikely that there is a connection.
Chest/heart and stomach/gut can for instance be connected, e.g. via Roemheld, e.g. wind.
I think of it as spinning plates, in my case "100" for the amount of symptoms and also for the amount of treatments I use per day (probably more, unless I group them of course).

Aside from connections chest may be costochondritis or heart, stomach may be hypo- or hyperacidity, bladder can be UTI, IC, OAB and PBS/BPS and bowels can be "IBS" (D, C or A). All of these are things I have to constantly watch for (except UTI and IC): Back exercises, sports, lipid supps, heart checks, eliminating food & drink triggers and for my Painful Bladder Syndrome / Bladder Pain Syndrome (and OverActive Bladder) increasing the low serotonin to relax those involuntary muscles using the neurotransmitter GABA....
That's after getting them often checked with orthopedists, cardiologists, allergists, GI and urologist.

Quite a few of us have painful bladder problems, but they do vary a lot in their exact type. Mine hurts while trying to pee, if my serotonin (& GABA) are low that pain can go up to a 5 or 6 (that's a quick shout for pain), but with GABA balanced I can get it down to 0-1.

Hi
Thanks for your reply, I'm on duloxetine with helps with serotonin, but what is gaba & how do you sort this?

GABA is an amino acid and neurotransmitter present in the body, a supp, not a med (gabapentin and pregabalin are derived from it).
It's a bit tricky, you need to really want to dabble in it, I recommend Trudy Scott for that, her amino acid questionnaire is a good starting point to see if you have low serotonin or GABA, as docs can't really measure it well, altho it's proven that it's often low in fibro.
I've no idea if it'll help others with bladder problems, but there's nothing else I (or my docs) know that can help.
I've never tried duloxetine, but did amitriptyline for 4 months, and that is also sposed to help with serotonin - however it didn't improve my bladder. So maybe it's something else. Or maybe just better - for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back