Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
02/2018
Country
US
State
NY
I have fibromyalgia and RA. I recently have been having some new symptoms. One of the newest is a sharp stinging type pain. Like your being stung or poked by a needle in random places. It comes and goes. Anyone experienced this ? Thanks

Hi Momof3boyz,

I used to get that all the time when I was in a really bad flare. Since I've been managing my fibro better, it's gone away, but I remember it well! Are your overall symptoms worse, or otherwise the same? Do you have anything going on that could be triggering you? Frustrating and unpleasant, but you're definitely not alone with that one :rolleyes:

Hi Jemima, thank you for responding. Nothing that is triggering at this time. My symptoms seem to be getting worse. Just odd things. Tingling in my forearms and hands, weird sensations in my legs like something is crawling. Very frustrating. Im concerned about MS. I read some of these symptoms could be related.

Hmm, I know that those kinds of weird sensations are associated with MS, but they also seem to be pretty common with fibro. Google "paresthesia and fibromyalgia" and you should find some info - perhaps adding "crawling" too, because I found quite a bit about that one! Of course, that said, getting checked out is always a good call when something new and odd happens. I wish you luck if you start chasing it - I know it's always a saga in the making :rolleyes:

If I were you, I'd perhaps try keeping a notation diary for a week or two and track every strange symptom, to see if there are any patterns in what you're doing, feeling, or are exposed to. So many people with fibro have chemical sensitivities, and get triggered by changing a cleaning or toiletry product. Same can go for dietary changes. When I did a notation diary exercise at the insistence of my therapist, I realized that I was getting triggered by my step-kids being messy - little things I never would have acknowledged as a big deal, like socks on the floor or crumbs on the counter - but there was the pattern, and it was flooring me! It shocked me, because we had far more stressful things going on at the time that I was managing to cruise through relatively unscathed. It's so hard to tease apart everything that goes on inside our brains and bodies with this thing. I wish you every luck in figuring it out.

I have had something very similar to that. It is only in my legs, and feels as if I have hundreds of tiny insects crawling on me and stinging me. I have found that most of the time a TENS machine will calm this down.

Jemima's advice about keeping track of when and where is good. If you are able to pinpoint a trigger you can avoid it. Of course, there may not be a specific trigger but it's worthwhile to find out.

I will definitely try these suggestions. Thats why I love this forum, when you feel like your going crazy you have such nice people to communicate with that share the same symptoms. You have been so helpful, thank you again ! Be well

I know! At one point I started having this thing in my legs (I still get it) where I get the stinging-insect thing on top, a twitching muscles/restless leg thing under that, and a deep down really hard ache that feels as if it's my bones. All at once, and I thought I must be going nuts, because surely that is not possible! But it is.

I get this a lot and totally randomly. For me it feels as if I am being stung by an insect, I get muscle twitching like an electric shock type feel and it's like my muscles are playing a piano keyboard, they can be seen especially in my legs movement up and down which scared me at first until my carer found a youtube video of someone who had filmed their experience and researched it for me. My bones feel so heavy and the ache is so far in that I can't physically reach it.

Yes, have had them soo bad, every few seconds all night long, that I ended up in the emergency room. After numerous tests there, referral to other doctors and more tests, it was diagnosed as fibromyalgia. I get them in my head also, my doctor calls them "ice picks". Nothing to do for them, just manage the illness as best you can and wait them out. Good luck, feel better.

Hi Momof3boyz,
Yes, I have the stinging, pins and needles feelings. I've literally jumped in place when this happens. I also have the tingling in my arms and hands. My hands are now going numb. The bugs crawling sensation is the worst, especially when its in your head and face like mine. I take a Vit B complex and a CBD capsule when it gets to bad....

Yes I do get that, my lady flare up back in June rendered me useless. The stabbing pain was in my hips and shoulders it was crazy. Another change of meds calmed it down but still not back to my normal. Good luck

I guess I've had a little bit of all of these, but only short/slight. The strongest stabbing stinging pang in both thighs for 3-4h came from (semi-"deliberately") overdosing glutamine. Made me shout in pain a few times and want to rip my legs off. Cold washing or showering helped.
For orientation (altho it may seem too logical): it seems to be our nerves, even if neurologists can't find anything (yet). So that'd mean first looking along the lines of treatments that nurture them, like Carolyn's B-complex or similar supps, or override the sensation like sunkacola's TENS or my cold treatment (Gate Theory of pain). If it feels more muscular praps magnesium.
It also seems pretty feasible that a neurotransmitter like glutamine influences nerve transmission, as the name says, and the antidote to the dopamine increasing amino acids like glutamine, theanine and many more would be everything that increases serotonin, like GABA.

Theoretical background, only for the so inclined:
As researchers (IASP) are terming our "invisibly caused" or cause-less pains c) "nociplastic" as opposed to a) nociceptive (pain due to injury) and b) neuropathic (pain due to nerve injury), is our fibro-version of paresthesia also non-neuropathic? (Assumed a specific form we have isn't a neuropathic form due to a yet to be found nerve injury.) (I think them coining the term/definition 'nociplastic' is premature by the way, as long as research on FM hasn't got anywhere close to causes, it's again a work-in-progress hypothesis.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back