Not open for further replies.

squishpunk

Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
1/2022
Country
US
Hi everyone. You can call me Squishy or Punky, I don't mind either one. My pronouns are they/them/theirs. I'm 24, from the US. I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia less than two months ago, after a solid year or so of investigating potential autoimmune diseases first (none discovered). I come from a long line of chronic illness sufferers, but I'm the first with fibromyalgia. Also probably have IBS, but haven't seen a gastro yet and may not be able to for a while. I'm trying to stay upbeat about everything and tend to cope with humor, but it's been hard and sometimes it feels like it's just getting harder. I hope that this place will enable me to find some support I can't get IRL, and that I'll be able to support others in turn.

Hi Punky and welcome to the forum.
Fibromyalgia is a tricky thing to navigate when you are new to it. Take heart, though, because once you learn the best ways to manage it for yourself, the things that work for you and how and when to apply them, you will find that it is not as bad as it seems at first. At least, some of the time it isn't. We all have very bad days, but you really can learn to mitigate and handle it all and still have a real life.

My suggestion is to start with the post I am linking to here. I wrote it, and I am not a medical expert but I have done all of the things I talk about and have found the ones that work for me, and so have many others. If you have any questions, please ask. Many people here have found their own ways to manage this and will be able to give you their experience. Everyone's is different.

Glad you found us, and I hope the forum is a good resource for you.

Hi Punky and welcome to the forum.
Fibromyalgia is a tricky thing to navigate when you are new to it. Take heart, though, because once you learn the best ways to manage it for yourself, the things that work for you and how and when to apply them, you will find that it is not as bad as it seems at first. At least, some of the time it isn't. We all have very bad days, but you really can learn to mitigate and handle it all and still have a real life.

My suggestion is to start with the post I am linking to here. I wrote it, and I am not a medical expert but I have done all of the things I talk about and have found the ones that work for me, and so have many others. If you have any questions, please ask. Many people here have found their own ways to manage this and will be able to give you their experience. Everyone's is different.

Glad you found us, and I hope the forum is a good resource for you.
Thanks for your reply. I'm lucky in a sense that so many of my family members also struggle with their own chronic illnesses- they've given me a lot of the advice in that post! Doing my best to act on it, but some of its very hard at the moment. Hoping I'll get there someday.

Hi Squishy,

IBS-type symptoms are really common with fibromyalgia - sorry to hear that you're dealing with that too. Glad you're here, though, and I'm certain that you'll figure out how to navigate this thing. Obviously, we'd all rather not have to live our lives with fibro as a companion, but it's amazing how much it can teach us along the way. Looking forward to hearing from you more in the future, and wishing you luck on your journey.

Thanks for your reply. I'm lucky in a sense that so many of my family members also struggle with their own chronic illnesses- they've given me a lot of the advice in that post! Doing my best to act on it, but some of its very hard at the moment. Hoping I'll get there someday.
You will get there some day if you keep at it. It is hard, and no one will dispute that. Some days it is too hard and you don't do what you have been trying to do to help yourself. So...don't give yourself a hard time and just try again tomorrow or the next day. Do small amounts of things until you can work up to more. Every little bit that you do is helpful, and it doesn't all have to happen at once. Remind yourself that it IS hard, and that doing hard things is what human beings do. Give yourself credit for doing what you manage to do each day to help yourself, even if that is taking a long nap. Be gentle with yourself and encourage every step along the way. You will be able to accomplish a great deal by going at your own pace but never quitting.

Hi punky. Checking in to see how things are going ❤️
If you click on avatars you can see how long people have been MIA....
But sometimes a wake-up call brings 'em back (then probably via a mail notification just for direct replies).

If you click on avatars you can see how long people have been MIA....
But sometimes a wake-up call brings 'em back (then probably via a mail notification just for direct replies).
Thanks Jay :) you are always justified in pointing stuff out to me lol

you are always justified in pointing stuff out to me lol
A much too sober dry reply of mine, sorry!
So I'll improve that by bigging you up ;-) for checking in on people.... (y) And "redirecting" that you and others could create a really positive vibe and do the forum a wonderful service :love: by (under "Members")
- checking in on new profile posts and
- praps also welcoming new people who have been logged on a bit but haven't yet ventured to post!

Last edited:
A much too sober dry reply of mine, sorry!
So I'll improve that by bigging you up ;-) for checking in on people.... (y) And "redirecting" that you and others could create a really positive vibe and do the forum a wonderful service :love: by (under "Members")
- checking in on new profile posts and
- praps also welcoming new people who have been logged on a bit but haven't yet ventured to post!
You are silly 😂. Everyone is ALWAYS justified pointing out stuff to me lol. Sure, sometimes I knew what's been pointed out but that's only 5% of the time.

I depend on people assuming I don't know something cuz its very often true. I think it is a social duty to help a senior citizen across the street and I am pretty sure everyone feels some sort of moral principle when they see me mistaking something lol. Hi, my name is Dory ❤️

You are silly 😂.
I love (and need) an environment that allows me to be silly... 😊 (silly as in embarrassing/embarassed and fun and more).
Hi, my name is Dory ❤️
"We'll pretend to be the other kids now": "Do you wanna play hide and seek?" ....
"OK, daddy."
"No no, not 'daddy', I'm the nice fish who wants to be your friend! OK?"
"OK, daddy." 🤣

Last edited:
Dory is one of the characters in the animated movie "Finding Nemo" - if you have not seen it, you should.
Yeah, I know, and was quoting from the sequel "Finding Dory" - or rather I didn't know at first, but thought as much, and looking for sweetkamie's quote on youtube brought me to the scene in "Finding Dory" I quoted above (one clip is called "Baby Dory", another "Adorable Clips"), where Dory's parents have just explained to him that he has to tell others that he suffers from "short term me-memory loss". I bet we've got both on a hard disk somewhere, my wife likes that, and I doubt my kid would have let me not watch it at least 3 times, just I suffer from longg term memory los... 😼 🐠

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back