Not open for further replies.

tina5160

Diagnosis
10/2013
Country
US
State
MN
Almost two months ago, my wrists started hurting. In another two weeks, all my joints were hurting. Sometimes it was so bad I couldn't concentrate at work, or enough to do just about anything else. I went to see my regular doctor, and I was tested for just about everything under the sun. All negative. Heck, even my cholesterols are all good. She gave me an anti-inflammatory and told me to take that every day for a month, and then come see her again to follow up. After a week, I was calling to see what I could take for the pain, as I couldn't take NSAIDs with the medication she gave me. (I have suffered from Migraines since I was a teenager so Tylenol does nothing for me.) Her and her nurse wouldn’t even tell me what else I could take.

I made an appointment with a Rheumatologist, and they got me in the next day. After looking at all the tests already done, and doing an exam, he said it was Fibromyalgia. He told me that although it seems like I am always under a lot of stress, and I seem to usually handle it very well; the recent added stress is likely the cause for the onset of the Fibromyalgia. Right around the time my wrists started hurting, things at work got a lot more stressful then they had been before. He prescribed Nortriptyline at bed time, and said it will be important to get lots of rest, and try to relieve stress and tension.

A week later, the pain changed. It wasn’t just in my joints, it felt like I over worked my muscles, and my right leg hurt from by butt to my ankle. It was very different than the ache of my joints. When I called the doctor’s office, she just sent me a note in mychart that said “This is another symptom of Fibromyalgia, keep taking the prescription that the rheumatologist gave you and follow up with me in a month.”

I have to say I am having a hard time digesting all this still. For someone that very rarely gets sick, has great cholesterol levels, and envious bone density; now I hurt to some degree, all the time, I am having digestive issues and am no longer regular, the number of my migraines seem to be increasing, and the intensity of them is worse than ever before as well. At times, I can’t think as clearly as before either.

I kept wondering if it wasn’t something more, but today I decided to search for forums. I found this site, and all of you. I think it is finally setting in that everything going on is the Fibro, but it doesn’t make it much easier right now. But I do feel better knowing that I am not alone, and I have a place to come and find support.

Sorry for being so lengthy, but if feels good to get it out. Thank you for reading.

Hi welcome to the site, I'm new as well and so far everyone has seemed nice and supportive. I think for most people fibro comes suddenly out of nowhere and it's heartbreaking. It was more a gradual thing for me, I got it as a child so I don't really remember not having symptoms but I have read so many posts by people with similar experiences to you. It's so sad when something like this happens so unexpectedly affects every part of your life, especially when you have always been healthy. But so many people here are at different stages of living through it so I'm sure you'll find help and support here.

My wrists were actually my first sign too, ages ago. It wasn't until stress triggered a really bad flare this year that I got diagnosed, but in retrospect I can trace the line of inexplicable health problems all back to fibro.
It's amazing how many things can go wrong just because of this one stupid thing . . .
Anyway, best of luck adjusting. I wish I could give you encouraging words about the future, but I'm in the same boat, just trying to wrap my head around it.

Welcome to the forum. I'm new on here too. I have in just a few days found support and information on how others are dealing with this. I'm right there with you trying to wrap my head around this whole thing.
Best wishes to you.

I am also new to fibro, stilltrying to digest this shocking and frightening prognosis. How is my life going to be affected? Am I going to have to be in , or close to, pain from now on? When I am advised to rest- how much rest can I take without being bored to tears?Can anyone out there help to tell how they are coping?Phoebe

Phoebe,
It is really hard coping with this disease. I struggle everyday with the same questions you have asked. I have learned to pace myself with everything I do. Today is going to have to be a rest day. I am recooperating from all I have done over the past few days. Google "The Spoon Theory". It is the only way I can function day to day.
Basically it means every activity we do such as showering, cooking, making a bed requires a spoon. We only have so many spoons per day to use. It with be up to you how to use those spoons. It is hard to get used to especially when in our healthier days we had an infinate amount of spoons. Now I live on a budget.
Hope it he los. Best Wishes.

tina5160,
My heart goes out to you and it is sad hearing of the suffering your going through. If you can lower your stress levels, by relaxing more and just letting things go a bit, it might help reduce your pain. You sound like someone, like a lot of us, that were very good at their jobs. We could at one time multi-task and get a lot done in a short amount of time. It seems with fibro this way of living works against us. We want to keep going strong, yet this illness prevents us from doing so.

These are a few ideas to help you relax. Try watching funny movies that make you laugh and read a good book or listen to books on tapes or dvd's, if holding books upright hurts. Try doing some simple crafts or working jigsaw puzzles, or crossword puzzles. if you can go for short walks to enjoy nature or window shop, just go slow and enjoy the walk. Visit friends or neighbors that are lonely and in need of someone to talk too. This takes the focus off you and puts it on someone else for a short while. You might even talk with a pastor or a mental health counsler, who knows about fibro and can be supportive without being jugemental. Do you have a pet? Some people have cage birds or fish tanks, or a cat or dog, that helps by loving attention. If you are housebound most of the time you could put up a birdfeeder and enjoy watching wildbirds. Even web searches or watching things on youtube could be relaxing. use your imagination and be creative in your choices.

At work could you use special cushions that support your wrists when typing on a keyboard? They are long narrow cushions with support built in.
Also try massages, find someone who can do light massages. Also consider getting a fiber bed pad. this is not a regular mattress pad, but is 2-4 inches thick and is filled with cotton or feathers, or made of miracle foam. these pads come in all sizes from twin to king. You lay them on the bed underneath your sheets. It makes sleeping easier and helps relax leg and hip muscles. I have used them for years and it really helps me get a good nights sleep.

Be sure to read around the forum to pick up other good coping skills. Ask questions and share your thoughts anywhere on the forum. Glad you found us. :)

Phoebe, I'm feeling a lot of the same things.
One of the ways I've stayed sane is by having things to do. I keep a pad of paper with me all the time when I'm out, and when someone mentions something I don't know about, I write it down. When I come home, I'll look it up on Wikipedia, and keep reading about anything that catches my interest. Being curious can keep you busy from the comfort of your favorite chair in front of the computer.

I'm also a writer and an artist, so those are things that can keep me going when I'm otherwise feeling rotten. I know that for some people art just isn't interesting, but if it's something you might enjoy, I really encourage you to indulge. Contrary to popular opinion, creative skills are 90% learned, so if you don't feel like you have the innate talent, you can still learn to do those things well. (Not that it matters if you're 'good' -- what matters is that it makes you feel fulfilled.)

Reading the replies on the Forum has been really supportive- maybe I am lucky I only contracted this in my old age( over 75)!I am practising deep reathing and relaxation. One immediate problem is- do I tell all my friends and family? Most have never heard of fibromyalgia- what experience have you had when you tell friends?Phoebe

I think it is something many aren't familiar with. But what is frustrating is when you have a doctor that says they don't believe in the diagnosis. I just had a follow up with my regular doctor, and she said she won't call it fibro because she thinks just a name they gave issues that they can't figure out. Then she kept saying "that's common for people with fibro". I think I'm going to change regular doctors, especially after the first thing she recommended was antidepressants. Any one I have talked to laughed and said what I already know; even with this diagnosis, I am the furthest from depressed as a person can get.

Phoebe, I would say that when it comes to those that usually support you, you can tell them. Any one who really cares may ask you questions to gain understanding, and even if you don't fully understand everything yet, they will gladly be along for the ride.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back