DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
04/2016
Country
US
State
IN
Hello everyone -

I’ve just been recently diagnosed, but have known for several years that I probably had fibro. My mom has it and was disabled because of it and she had seen symptoms developing in me. At her request, I went to see a doctor about it and he was none too happy that I was telling him what I thought was wrong. He was very rude and said I had sleep apnea and needed to lose weight and I never went back to him.

Fast forward to this week and I finally got the courage to talk to my current doctor who has been amazing over the past year dealing with the onset of new problems. After dealing with severe digestive issues, she diagnosed me with IBS and GERD. I take 2 different pills for the GERD and deal with the IBS by diet. I also take several vitamins because of low levels. I had an anxiety attack just trying to talk to her about the possibility of having Fibro, but she was very understanding and after listening to me and hearing symptoms and what my mom has said, she diagnosed me with fibro. She prescribed me Cymbalta (1 per day, Xanax (as needed), and Flexeril (as needed). She gave me a big hug after our appointment and said I could talk to her about anything.

I would consider myself to have a mild to moderate case. Most days I can ignore symptoms, but other days, especially if I’ve been physically active, I’m down for the count. The majority of my pain is in my legs and arms, throbbing, sometimes burning. I’m tired all the time, even though I use my CPAP faithfully. Headaches, anxiety/panic disorder, lots of food and medication sensitivities, and the list goes on.

I am in college full-time. I will graduate from Office Administration next month, but I decided to go a bit further and take another year to earn a technical certificate in Medical Office Administration. That's the main reason I wanted to start to deal with this. All my classes have been online so far, but the medical ones all have to be face-to-face. I'm scared how I'm going to handle these long days. And then going to work after I earn my next degree.

Other than all that, I have been married for 25 years and have 2 boys and 4 grandbabies. When I’m not busy helping my husband (who is disabled), doing homework, or watching my grandbabies, I love to relax by crocheting.

Wow, you have a lot on your plate, but kudos to you for continuing your education as well! I'm new here too, but hope you can find support and things that work for you as well. If you don't mind me asking, are you taking any vitamins/supplements as suggested by your doctor? If so, would you mind sharing what he/she recommended? prayers for you and your family!

Hi sureimsore :) Thanks for your reply.

The vitamins/supplements I take daily are:
  • Vitamin D - 5,000 IU
  • Magnesium - 800 mg
  • Vitamin C - 1000 mg
  • Multivitamin (I take the senior version without iron as iron makes me very nauseous)
  • Probiotic (was taking Probiotic Pearls, but just switched to Align a couple weeks ago)

I also followed a FODMAP elimination diet last summer and through reintroduction was able to find some IBS trigger foods, so I have eliminated them from my diet. That helps keep my IBS manageable. Not controlled, but at the moment I'm able to deal with the symptoms.

I'm sorry to hear you've been diagnosed. It is a really hard diease to deal with. Especially, for someone who has as much going on in their lives. I hope you can find peace and good pain management routine. I wish you the best of luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back