Not open for further replies.

ChristaPeanut

Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
03/2022
Country
US
Hello I am a new member! I just got officially diagnosed in March, but as I am sure most of you have experienced, it's been years in the making. I had lots of different symptoms for years, but the most troubling was muscle pain and weird twitches and cramps. I'm 38. Last year I started having all over joint pain and thought "well this is new and pretty debilitating", but it finally got me seen by a Rheumatologist. In the middle of getting diagnosed my husband and I bought our first house and my sister had brain surgery for her epilepsy. It's been quite the month. Had a recent flare this week from the stress. Anyways i've been looking at forums for the past year and I found this one which seems to be the most positive and realistic advice place for us. Glad to have support! My family is very nice but they don't exactly get it I think. I've already read several of the start here threads. Lots of great info. I'm a recovering alcoholic as well, so my personal belief that acceptance is the answer often rides up against "why me?", so it's nice to find some general acceptance of the disorder here to remind me that it's not all bad all the time. (Except of course of the days that it is!) Also figuring out how/where to post things so I'm not exactly sure where this is going to be posted. Apologies if it's in the wrong place!

Hi Christa, and welcome "in"! 👋
I agree with your appreciation of this forum, being / posting on a lot!
You've placed your post/thread perfectly for everyone to find.
I'd suggest the general ('radical') acceptance of our conditions helps us see the good aside from the bad, even on the bad days, or just take it as it is, without judging or focusing on it too much as "bad", which empowers us to strive for improving it...

Welcome Christa, sorry you have to be here but it can be helpful. It's been about 7 years for me and still figuring things out. It's hard but try to stay positive. There are lots of things you'll find will help you and lots that don't. Hang in!
(((gentle hugs)))

I'm a recovering alcoholic as well, so my personal belief that acceptance is the answer often rides up against "why me?", so it's nice to find some general acceptance of the disorder here to remind me that it's not all bad all the time. (Except of course of the days that it is!) Also figuring out how/where to post things so I'm not exactly sure where this is going to be posted. Apologies if it's in the wrong place!
I always counter the "why me?" question with "why NOT me?"
In other words, there is no reason "why". Things happen. Why does one person develop cancer, get in an auto accident, get a flesh-eating parasite, etc. and not another person? There is no "reason". The universe doesn't operate on a merit system, and things that happen are not personal in nature.
And of course, if a person wanted to start asking that question, it would only be sensible to ask also, "why do I have a place to live and millions of other people don't?" "Why do I have enough to eat while others starve?", and so on.............and you can see how unproductive all of that is.

Radical Acceptance is a phrase a member here introduced us all to. I am very keen on Acceptance Of What Is, but still the addition of the word "radical" really has had a positive effect on me.

As for family......they won't ever really Get It because they are not experiencing it. But they can learn, with your guidance, to believe what you say and simply accept that this is your reality now, and be supportive of you. If this is a challenge for you, please ask for help here because many of us have been there and can offer our own experience and advice.

One more thing...I wrote a post with many suggestions for things you can try in order to find out what works best for you as a management system for yourself in dealing with fibro in your life. I recommend it, and if you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back