DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
08/2014
Country
US
State
VT
Greetings and Salutations!

I admit that I've been reading this forum for a while but only created a profile when I was ever so subtly instructed to (as in no more reading posts until you do). Now I can read the posts again but I'm prompted to post... so here I am.

I'm new to the fibro diagnosis. The issues that I have were officially given a name just over a month ago but I suspected it prior to that. It was just a matter of actually getting into the correct medical hands before real treatment can begin.

While I've been experiencing symptoms for years the connection was never made until now. This is partially due to my lack of desire to see a doctor for anything. What was most common through everything was that every fall I would get sciatica. The pain would usually last until the end of winter and my body would be just fine for the summer hikes.

This last winter never seemed to end if you ask my body. Finally in June I realized that the sciatica was only getting worse. Short story long I was sent to PT for a buldged/herniated disc. During the PT that was only making things worse I was put on prednisone. The same day my entire body lit up. I had never felt so much pain... and everywhere. My poor husband had no idea what was going on.

It was only then that I seriously began my research. I was able to connect what I was feeling at that moment to other symptoms that I had seen the doctor for previously. Sadly, this episode only really started to taper (after the amazing aqua PT) right as the fall weather moved in. Enter another flare up.

I feel as if, physically, I have not really progressed at all this summer. However, with the help of the PT instructions and resources such as this site, I feel as if I'm much stronger mentally. I now have a clear path that I'm slowly traveling that, hopefully, will ease the pain of the winter and get me in better shape as a benefit.

The docs put me on gabapentin. I'm not sure that I can say that it is helping with the pain but my goodness it has helped with the fibro fog. I'm a desk monkey and crunch numbers all day. The worst part for me was my inability to function well at my job on top of everything. I feel as if I can easily take cues on when my body is in need of a dose based on how fuzzy things get. I no longer get confused and forget how to exit a restroom (that had to have been amazing to watch).

I wouldn't have known what to look at and what to expect were it not for those out there like the members of this community. I don't interact much but I read and absorb. I'm very happy to know that there is resource available for those looking to vent, for guidance or just for companionship. Each and every one of you are an inspiration to me. I wish you all the best in your journies and thank you for the help so far.

vseebs,
i am very happy that you joined the forum, and that your taking time to read and use some of the postings to help manage your fibro and related symptoms. It is not easy to deal with fibro everyday and at work the symptoms can get overwhelming at times. I had my own cleaning business and suffered all day long with brain fog and weakness in my muscles. I remember early on wondering what was wrong with me, as I loved my job but often was to weak and fatigued to do my work.

This forum supplies answers to many questions in the form of another fibro suffers opinion and experience, so that is a bigger help then listening to a doctor rattle on about the so called problems and how nothing can be done but take drugs to help ease the condition. I take gabapentin and it takes the edge off so that I can do somethings and mostly I need to not over do and relax daily.

So welcome and I hope to see more of you around the forum and look forward to reading your posts. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back