Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
02/2015
Country
US
State
IL
Hello, I am new to the group, having been diagnosed by my GP in February 2015 with Fibromyalgia. I started having pain in the back of my right knee one day, and then it mysteriously disappeared two days later, but that same day, my fingers were sore. The next week continued with sore wrists, elbows, shoulders, hips, knees, pretty much something different every day but not usually two things going at once. I would wake up OK, but by noon-3:00 something would start aching. Since then, the big body aches have settled down a little, maybe due to the warmer spring weather we are having here (as opposed to the negative degree windchills) or the light weight exercises I have stopped doing. My biggest complaint now is my neverending swelling, pain, and stiffness in my fingers and thumbs. It will get better in one finger and then another one will start acting up. Also, my toes and the balls of my feet are slightly swollen and seem sore almost every day. It's hard not to be able to use your hands without pain. My GP says the fibro is not causing the swelling and stiffness in my hands and feet, so I am going to a rheumatologist in June (earliest I could get in) to verify. The GP did a sed rate test and since it, as well as a TSH and Free T4, among other blood tests, was normal, assumed it was not lupus or rheumatoid arthritis. Two other weird things that started about 1-2 weeks after the pain started was that my voice went hoarse and I had bad indigestion. GP does not think these are related to fibro but they all started at the same time so it seems like they are. I have been prescribed Cymbalta but am afraid of the side effects and want to see if I can handle it with natural remedies and exercise first. Also, before taking meds I want to see the rheumatologist. My neurologist looked at my hands and had me spread my fingers, then had me grip his hands, and based on this, he also agrees it is fibromyalgia rather than another neurological issue. Also had a brain MRI a year ago that was normal so I guess that rules out MS. I do feel weaker but I don't know if that is due to the pain or if I really am losing muscle. Anyway, I don't know anyone with fibromyalgia so I am looking forward to learning from you all and supporting you as well. Thanks!

It is crazy how people are affected so differently by this disease. I am new to the forum as well and looking forward to seeing all the information here.

Welcome both of u. I hate finger pain, u don't realise how much u use your fingers till the hurt do u.

I also have pain that 'moves'. I will get pain on the side of my neck and I put pressure on it... kinda like acupressure and when I let go then the pain moves to the shoulder. Repeat process and it moves to my upper arm. Sure wish it would keep moving out my fingers and go. :)

The dull constant ache really drives me nuts. I stretch and exercise it but it keeps on like a toothache. It's hard because I have to use the phone and the computer a lot during the day which doesn't help.

I take Ibuprofen but if I take it too often I start getting bruises. I take tylenol but it usually doesn't help much. When I can't stand it anymore I take 1/2 hydrocodone. It does help but don't like to take it.... I usually take one every nite and sometimes at work. Gotta keep going.

Allison, I'm glad that you are seeing a rheumatologist. My daughter was having issues and has been diagnosed with Lupus. I saw the same Dr. just to make sure nothing else was going on and go the fibro diagnosis.

I am very blessed. I have pain every day but it very rarely puts me down for the count. I hope you get some answers.

Thanks for the replies. You are totally right that you don't know how much you use your fingers until they are stiff and painful. I will look into pain relievers.

Sounds TO ME, that a lot of the pain, swelling etc....could be rheumatoid arthritis. As I've dealt with FM since 1999, I never had swelling, etc....

I deal with lifelong OA but not RA. My neighbor out of the blue ended up with RA....another friend's sister just diagnosed not long ago.

Sounds like other issues going on as well, TO ME, anyway.

My nasty issues at this late date in my life are worsening OA and a hip replacement MESS. Fibro thrown in but I can manage that muscle and nerve pain....I have shoulder injuries too, so it's all a big basket of stuff going wrong.

Could even by Lyme as many end up with that diagnosed. J

Jaminhealth-the doctor did a sed rate rest which did not show inflammation, so he ruled out RA based on that. I don't know if that is to be trusted or if you can still have RA with a normal sed rate test. I am looking forward to seeing a rheumy in June.

Healthy, what did your xray show? or the mri?

keep an open find with the RA.

Please call the RA before you go.

Find out what his/she stance on fibro is.
you dont want to wait that long and pay for a visit that the doctor tells you i dont believe in fibro.

took me many times to figure that one out. i've never gotten any help from a RA. others here have.
its up to you to take control of your treatment plan.

there are many RA's and waiting until June? make the call and see if you can find one that can see you sooner.
if this one is a good fit for you then make sure you tell them if they get a cancellation to call you right away.

i hope you get some answers and the help you need soon.

Thanks for the advice on the rheumatologist. I will call and find out their thoughts on fibro. I only had mri's done. Brain was normal and lower back showed protruding disc which was the same as the one I had 2 years ago. My main reason for going to rheumy is the pain, slight swelling and stiffness of fingers and toes/balls of feet. Doesn't seem like a common symptom and it is every day. Some days are better than others. Also my voice is hoarse. So not sure if fibro diagnosis is accurate. But I am also a huge worry-wart. Thanks again for the support.

Have you had thyroid thoroughly checked....so many do not thyroid support that is needed. I've been on that long route starting in 1991 and that lasted 10 yrs and then my osteopath called in desiccated support and so much changed for me. HypoT has some 69 symptoms.

RA is not really for pain. they can prescribe Tramadol for pain. Pain mgt docotrs are for pain and the harder drugs.

just an fyi. my RA just said its fibro and sent me to PM. he did not know if cymbalta and lyrica could be mixed together.
as he didnt know and just shrugged his shoulders at me. i asked him, then who would know. bam right to PM.

check with BCBS to see if once the doctor gives them what they need ,if they will pay for PM too.

I had the Free T4 and TSH done and they were in the normal range. I think I have read that it is helpful to get more, like T3. Any suggestions on what thyroid tests to ask for? Thx doe the pain management advice. I have had a few food days. Wish they would last! ��

My integrative MD does T3 and T4 and TSH tests annually, I don't know why I even do them anymore, I'm taking Armour since 2002 and no depression....prior to thyroid support, 10 yrs of depression.

Does your "gut" tell you your thyroid is sluggish? If so, it probably is.....my gut told me that for 10 years and labs were always "in range"....so much for labs...before there were labs, docs went by symptoms.

Then there are Hashi antiobodies, TPO test.

Hello Heather,

I feel for you. I feel for everyone who suffers the same misery that I did, and sometimes still do. I think there is no phase in fibromyalgia that is less difficult than the other. Starting with the first spark of unknown pain, the gruelling diagnostic process, the dilemma, the coping, the management, all of it. I know it may be hard to appreciate it now, but I would like you to know that fibromyalgia, the very thing you are feeling right now is not the end. Different things help different people. I shared my first fibromyalgia article in my blog. It's a general blog not solely focusing on fibromyalgia but I am looking forward to writing more articles tackling it with the hope of helping others who are experiencing the same life change. Take good care of yourself and don't lose hope...

NO LINKS ALLOWED!

Warm regards,
Christine

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back