Reason
Other
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
CA
State
ON
Hello all, just joined the site. Wanted to ask if having fatigue is a determining factor when being evaluated for fibromyalgia. I have no fatigue but do have widespread pain, cramping, stabbing muscle pain in legs, aches and spasms in my neck and back, tight muscles everywhere - most notably in my calves and front of legs I discovered when trying to bend my knees while trying to follow a simple Tai Chi video. My legs got "stuck" and wouldn't and still can't release enough to be able to bend. In fact, that is the major symptom that seems to cause me all the pain, very tight muscles that no amount of stretching seems to loosen them. But, like I said, I have absolutely no fatigue. So, could it still be fibro?

Thanks for reading!
Steph

Hi,

Have you seen a doctor yet? Usually a rheumatologist gives a diagnosis of fibromyalgia. It is typically diagnosed by having half of the tender points on the body. I want to say there are 18 of them. 9 on each side. Or having unexplained pain lasting longer than three weeks. Sometimes not all the symptoms will present at the same time. I don't think we can really diagnose here. I certainly can't. I have heard some people say they've had immobility and muscle tightness with fibromyalgia, I don't know how common it is. Hopefully I helped a little and someone else will better be able to help.

I have very tight infact it feels like they are rigid painful muscles with fibro and at the beginning i did not have terrible fatigue...maybe not my original stamina but definitely nothing like the muscle and brain fatigue that evolved later.

Fibro comes in all levels but brandibi is right you need a rheumy or neurolgist and tests etc to iliminate other possible causes. good luck

I'm feeling like that too, the pain is far worse than the fatigue. I wake up feeling like I haven't slept at all even when I have and I have tiredness most of the day but not the debilitating fatigue that most people have with fibro. I've not been diagnosed yet & part of me holds out some hope that my rheumatologist was wrong when I don't have the chronic fatigue but then I seem to have all of the other symptoms! There seems to be so many things associated with fibro.

Thanks Brandi, Lou and Willow. I've been to 2 neurologists in the past 5 years and they couldn't find any reason for my pain. Just said, "well, you won't be in a wheelchair". As if that is the only way a person can be disabled or that this pain was unremarkable. Also saw a rheumatologist about 5 years ago for pain in my legs, the way this first presented, and the only thing she found was the beginning of arthritis in my pelvis but said that probably had nothing to do with the pain in my legs. I have no idea what could be causing the pain that is now all over my body from my toes to my fingers coming and going with no apparent rhyme or reason. I seem to be in a "flare" because a week ago I actually walked for an hour one day. Today it is difficult just to walk from the couch to the kitchen for tea. I'm wondering if the reason for not having the fatigue is because I'm taking a high dose of thyroid medication to keep thyroid cancer at bay (had it twice), prescribed by the doctor. Well, time to go rest. My arms are aching just typing this. Thanks again, I value your input!

forgot to mention also had blood work for lyme, lupus, vitamin defiencies, etc. all negative. have tried massage which was agonizing, chiropractor which does nothing, stretching, tai chi, strength training, cardio, step aerobics, all to no avail, still have pain.

Have you tried yoga? I did yoga a couple of times with meditation at the ending. That seemed to help keep the pain at bay for a couple of days at least.

When I was first dx with fibro all I had was pain.i don't get fatigued.i get it sometimes and I hate it,but mostly I have widespread pain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back