Nortriptyline

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pearlie2478

Hi . I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia 9 weeks ago. I have been on 20mgs of Nortriptyline. Over the last few days have had awful side effects. my GP saw me yesterday and told me to immediately stop the medication. Has anyone experienced withdrawal effects when stopping this medication? I haven't slept for three nights. I have awful headaches, and hot sweats

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Pearlie, and welcome in to us lot! 👋
Yes, it's normal to get tough withdrawal effects. Usually you have to wean off it inside of 4-6 weeks. I weaned off of 25mg of its cousin amitriptyline in 2 weeks, but I knew what I was doing and the 8-9 side effects were worse than any withdrawal effects....
In your case I don't think the withdrawal effects can be worse. But no one can be sure.
Did you let the side effects build up thinking that would be OK or did they suddenly start?

I see your posting was edited by a moderator, not sure why, but if it had a link in it that's not allowed on this forum....

Reactions: Nan
They started suddenly. I'm waiting to hear from the rheumatologist on how i should safely come off them

I'm waiting to hear from the rheumatologist on how i should safely come off them
I had been prescribed 2mg-drops by another pain doc when mine wasn't there, which I had experimented with a time as that doc had suggested. The other one wanted me to go back to her 10mg tablets and then directly up to 25mg. I preferred the drops.
I used those, to wean off it: 1-2 drops less per day.

I have been put on the tablets
In that case even if the doc says only halve them, I'd do my best to portion them somehow, even if that can only be rough. Let's see what they say.

Hi Pearlie! So sorry to hear about your hot sweats and headache. Like you, I was recently diagnosed as well. I was put on Amitriptyline and my body did not react well to the meds. After speaking to my doctor, I stopped the pills immediately. Perhaps try a natural remedy to sleep. My body is very sensitive to medication and will now look to natural remedies to manage my symptoms of FM.

Reactions: Nan
Hi Pearlie! Sorry I missed your message earlier. I am still getting familiar with this communication platform.

To answer your question, I took Amitriptyline for less than a week and I felt better immediately after stopping the meds. How long were you taking the medication? I

9 weeks. I had been on Amitriptyline for years for neck nerve pain from a fall. When i was diagnosed with Fibro nine wks ago the rheumatologist changed me to Nortriptyline. I've been off them a week now the sweats and other side effects have stopped, but since Sunday my Fibromyalgia pains have come back . I'm hardly getting any sleep i feel absolutely exhausted and really don't know what to do now

I had been on Amitriptyline for years for neck nerve pain from a fall. When i was diagnosed with Fibro nine wks ago the rheumatologist changed me to Nortriptyline. ..... really don't know what to do now
Are you thinking of returning to amitriptyline or rather trying to find alternatives to meds - or both? :cool:

Hi Jay
I've gone back onto Amitriptyline and also taking some extra supplements. At least i am sleeping better. Have gone down with Covid now so just something else to cope with!!

At least i am sleeping better. Have gone down with Covid now so just something else to cope with!!
Oh dear, good luck with that. Some actually get short improvement from CoV, so I hope it's mild and ami & supps'll support you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back