Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
11/2020
Country
CA
State
ON
I gradually started feeling burning sensations in my fingers in July. I've been feeling pain in my left pinky joint as well. My calves started to feel quite heavy too. X-rays were done on my hands but didn't show any arthritis. Bone density was done and I was told there's osteopenia. Vascular ultrasound was done but everything was negative. At first, a carpal tunnel was suspected but the nerve study indicated nothing. By early Sept, I started feeling an electric current going through my legs and feet. I was given pregabalin 50mg to take. I had to increase pregabalin to 75mg twice a day as the burning sensation was unbearable at times. Started to have side effects (depression, constipation). Brain MRI and upper spine MRI were done in mid-Oct. No markings in the brain MRI. Mild dorsal disc with indenting (?). My doctor ordered a lower spine MRI scheduled for Dec. In late Nov., the neurologist over the phone tells me he suspects it's fibromyalgia. My follow up appointment is in Feb with the neurologist. I am quite confused as I do not know if I really fit the diagnosis. People have asked if the doctor has checked for the tender points around my body. I don't know how that's possible when except for the nerve study and follow up appointment, the diagnosis was done over the phone for the MRI results. I am not sure where to go from here and whom I really have to be seen to find out if I really have fibromyalgia. I don't have the aches and pains that many patients have been describing. I have had neck pain for the last 3 years and I've struggled with IBS for some time now. This burning sensation on my fingers and the electric current wave-like sensations going through my legs and feet are something very new. I am doing yoga, aerobics and walking daily as instructed but I really like to know whether I have fibromyalgia. Is it the rheumatologist who specializes in fibromyalgia I need to see? Kindly advise. Feeling quite frustrated and anxious. Thank you.

Hi Song, and welcome. The thing about fibro is that it is a diagnosis of elimination more than anything else. The trigger point test is unreliable, so don't worry too much about that. I've had it a few times, and on one occasion I won't feel a thing and on another I'll be gasping in pain; it all depends on the day.

A rheumatologist is a good place to start with the diagnosis, as is the neurologist. the fact that your symptoms don't match all of those other fibro patients have doesn't mean much one way or the other because each of us experiences this differently.

In the meantime you might check out my advice post at the top of the General forum, and start looking into those ideas and implementing some or all of them, because they may include things that will help you. I'm not saying cure you, but help.
Don't worry for now about whether or not you have FM. Just take the best possible care of yourself, reduce the stress in your life, and carry on.

Does the burning in your legs happen when you walk and do your feet feel like they go numb? Does the burning sensation in your hands feel like when they have gotten really cold (even though they are not) and when they start to get warm you get the painful shooting pains? If they feel like this or even close to this you need to see a vascular doctor.

Alta, try taking a B complex vitamin and get some rose geranium essential oil to rub on. (Try a small area, if ok then rub right on, if not add to your favorite lotion). Not a cure but helps.
(((gentle hugs)))

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back