Now I have gone and done it...

Status
Not open for further replies.
not for this, no.. it will get better with time
I am also looking at getting some protective sleeves.. it seems like my forearms are very easily damaged (thin skin)

and yeah, i used to have a pretty high tolerance as well.. but like you, it seems those days are gone.

i used to have a pretty high tolerance as well.. but like you, it seems those days are gone.
I have to question the reality of that.

My tolerance for pain is just as high as it has ever been, and it has been very high all my life. But some of the pain I get with fibro is pretty high also. I still call a pain a 6 or 7 when most people would say it was a 10. I think most people have not actually experienced 10 out of 10 pain unless, of course, they have had a rough childbirth. To me, a 10 means I cannot get up off the floor or couch, or talk or do anything but endure and possibly moan. If someone can walk into the doctor's office and calmly say they are having 10 out of 10 pain, they don't know what a 10 really is.

On some days, a tiny little bump that I would normally never notice is painful enough to make me gasp.

But for people with fibro I don't see that as being a lowered tolerance for pain. It is simply a higher level of pain, more frequently, than we have had before. And sometimes that continual dealing with pain will also wear down our resistance due to fatigue. But that is still not actually a lowered resistance to pain. Anyone will feel pain more if they are fatigued.

Most people, if suddenly given the degree of pain that you and I deal with frequently or even daily, would collapse, probably saying they have no idea how we go on, whereas we deal with it and simply carry on with our lives as best we can. Those of us who do that can still say they have a high tolerance of pain, in my opinion.

Thank you for that, Sunkacola! that was exactly what I needed to hear, when i needed to hear it.. 😌

and yeah, they way you laid it out there.. yeah, i can totally see what you are saying.
On some days, a tiny little bump that I would normally never notice is painful enough to make me gasp.
this is the kind of thing that makes me think my pain tolerance is no longer what it used to be,
but as you said.. the pain that we live with day in and day out would put a lot of people flat on the floor.

I know I have way overdone things today, but in my defense, it was something that REALLY needed to get done, and I had LOTS of help from my partner, but I am stubborn enough to want to do at least some of it myself.. it is my car after all, LOL Had to get timing belt & idler pulleys changed before something failed and completely destroyed the engine.
I took lots of breaks, but yeah.. still gonna pay for this..

this is the kind of thing that makes me think my pain tolerance is no longer what it used to be,
but as you said.. the pain that we live with day in and day out would put a lot of people flat on the floor.
Not only that, but also speaking for myself I still find a bruise sometimes and don't know how I got it, just as I always have. So that bump happened on one kind of day. Another day, as I mentioned, a tiny bump in just the wrong place has me gasping -- and won't even produce a tiny bruise at all. This is part of fibromyalgia. Some days I can do more than on others. Some days I am more sensitive to touch than on others, and so on. Those of us who started out with a high tolerance to pain and have not been the type to complain are probably the best equipped to deal with fibro once we learn how not to overdo things with our bodies.

Not only that, but also speaking for myself I still find a bruise sometimes and don't know how I got it, just as I always have. So that bump happened on one kind of day. Another day, as I mentioned, a tiny bump in just the wrong place has me gasping -- and won't even produce a tiny bruise at all.
YES!! this, exactly this!!

You have no idea how nice it is to hear this - well, maybe you do know, lol but yeah.. and here I thought I was just being a wimp, whining about tiny little bumps that never used to bother me at all.
for me, a lot of it depends on the location of the "bump" too.. certain areas are worse than others..

anyway, car is done and should be good for another 100,000 miles, give or take. Oh shoot.. that reminds me.. need to make note of the mileage to put on the sticker...

any way.. not nearly as sore as I thought I would be this morning.. definitely not in top form, but not as bad as I suspected I would be either.. which was enough motivation to get the rest of the job done.. mostly by myself. Partner helped when i needed him to, tho. :)

so now i get to rest and "relax" for the rest of today.. aside from finishing laundry..
dinner is a take & bake pizza (mostly for the partner) but one slice wont kill me..

hehe! ... I'm the same, bruises seem to appear by magic sometimes. Some I feel, some I don't.
I can often be heard talking to them saying "where the heck did you come from?" 🤣

It’s a week + since your fall - hope you are better!
Yes, much better. thank you for thinking of me.
even the flap of torn skin the doc put back over to use as a natural bandage seems to be taking hold.. it looks pretty good all things considered.
still fairly tender to pressure, as expected, but even that is getting better.. and has gotten rather itchy (healing itch) so i have to try to control myself and not scratch! LOL

Aw cookie 🤗 get well soon 🧡💛

I hope you are still on the mend, sending love and positive healing thoughts your way
thank you hope - yes, arm is pretty much completely healed now.. very happy with how it did too.. the skin that got peeled back took hold and healed up very nicely.. scarring will be minimal.

So, thank you for the positive healing thoughts, but I am going to gather them up and send them back your way, cause it sounds like you could use some right now. 💜

Oh @cookiebaker it must have been bad for you to be scarred, very glad your much better now 😙 💓💓

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back