Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
70/2010
Country
UK
State
Hertfordshire
do any of u find your periods are more painful and all over the place .?

ABSOLUTELY. I hate it. It starts about 5 days pre-period when the fibro symptoms flare, including anxiety and depression. And it stays until the flow is nearing the end. The pain levels are usually a few levels higher than "regular" days.

Here's an interesting excerpt I found regarding pain and estrogen in a book regarding fibro:

Researchers at the University of Michigan have found that women are better able to tolerate pain when estrogen levels are high by releasing endorphins that soften the signals. Unfortunately, a dip in estrogen, which occurs just before your period, reduces the symptom's effectiveness, which may explain why women say their FMS symptoms are worse during their periods.

: I wonder if this is why pregnant women and mothers of newborns often experience a remission in fibro symptoms. We should all get regular shots of estrogen.

Very interesting. Many years ago when I was struggling to control my chronic migraines I noticed that they were worst just before and during my pperiod. One of the options I was offered was to use birth control to stop my periods for 3 months at a time. I did not choose that option because I have always had difficulty with hormonal birth control. I wonder if it would help people with fibromyalgia?

Hmmm yes it's a good point ,wounded if Dr would give the shots .

I have PCOS (poly-cystic ovarian syndrome) as well as Fibro so my cycle is very irregular but when it does come it is usually very painful. I chose not to try any estrogen/birth control relief because I am already on so many other meds and I'm use to pain so just deal with it the best I can.

I did notice that when I was pregnant my symptoms seemed to be greatly improved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back