Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
01/2002
Country
US
State
NJ
I definitely have fibromyalgia but in addition I suffer from lower back pain. This time on the left side. Saw pain mgmt dr. First had sacroiliac joint injection. Did not help. Then had a series of 2 medial branch nerve blocks into Left sided L5,S1,S2 both of which provided pain relief for a day or two but were done specifically as diagnostic to determine if radiofrequency ablation on these nerves would help. Scheduled for this procedure later this week. Had it done yrs back on the other side and it's still been helping.

Anyone else here have these series of injections done themselves? I really hope this week's injections can provide a lengthy time to be pain-free. If not, next step I will see a neurologist or a neurosurgeon that I know of. Evidentally, having had spinal fusion at L4/L5 in 2010, it can cause subsequent pain above or below that area and for me it's below. It's just so hard to make any real plans ahead of time at this point, not knowing if I'm going to hurt and if so, how badly. Any feedback would greatly be appreciated.

yup, i have had them done, and the RF ablation as well... got around 8-9 months out of the first ablation, 2nd round is still going and that was done last August - so 6 months so far and still doing ok
my right SI joint, however, is giving me problems, but that is separate from the lumbar work.

I also have cervical spine problems, but that did not respond to the medial branch block very well, so is more than just the facet joints.

I'm trying to be as positive as I can be that the RFA will help like the one I had previously on the other side. This pain Dr is leaving the practice but the senior Dr will still be at their other location. He's great too.

yeah, i know it can be tough to stay positive, but hang in there, you can do it

Had the ablation with some very painful days that followed. Told it can take up to 3 or so weeks for those nerves to calm down. Hope they do!

Anyone else here have these series of injections done themselves
have had spinal problems since being a teenager all my brothers had the same problem - had injections back when I was in late teens however they usually only lasted till I got home from the doctor. Finally in the 70's I had a spinal fusion and pins done in a 10 hour op and was in hospital in a heavy metal brace for 3 months. I had a another minor disc protrusion above the previous work and I was given a myelogram with a dye called Myodil which was banned a year after it was used on me. Basically the dye has to be injected then the myelogram is taken and the dye is taken out. However my doctor and in Australia many other doctors never took the dye out - it is an insoluble compound and thus stays in the body basically in the fluid covering the spinal cord and brain.

Some years after ( it can take up to 30 years to take affect) there was an increase in people with Adhesive Arachnoiditis. Some people have continuous pain etc and some have intermittent pain and other syndromes . Mine situation is it only flares when I have some major event happen to the body for me ie it flares after I have a fall.

The point of this is that this condition can occur after damage to the spinal cord from injections and again it may take 30 years for it to appear. One reason why no one sticks any needles into my spine any more. and if a doctor wants you to have a myelogram then only agree if he has one also on the table next to you - with MRI technology myelograms should not be needed

If you are getting injections into the spine then you should ask your doctor to outline all the risks involved
t must be stressed that any drug preparation injected in to the spine, may contain preservatives such as benzyl alcohol, polyethylene glycol, and chlorobutanol (a derivative of chloroform) and that these carry a risk of neurotoxic effects.

The point of this is that this condition can occur after damage to the spinal cord from injections and again it may take 30 years for it to appear.
they do things a LOT differently these days.
the procedure that jschneider had is no more dangerous than any other common procedure - like getting a tooth pulled...
Sure, all procedures carry some risk, but trying to compare something from 45-50 yrs ago to current is a bit of a stretch.

Sure, all procedures carry some risk, but trying to compare something from 45-50 yrs ago to current is a bit of a stretch.
yep they ban the contrast used in these types of procedures but any time you get a needle inserted into the spine there is danger of damage to the arachnoid

but as jschneider444 stated he was told of the risks,

Pain started up on and off lower left back. Seeing my neurosurgeon for his opinion. Very weather related ....fibro has to be a factor too.

The radio frequency ablation worked great. Just took 4 weeks after procedure but well worth it!!!

By the fourth week, relief at last! Still no pain in that area. Now it's my replaced knee that's hurting. Can't win!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back