Not open for further replies.

dolphindora

Reason
Undiagnosed
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
UK
I am only newly diagnosed after walking around in relentless pain for 2&1/2 years I believe mind developed following Inguinal Hernia repair.
it’s hard to get your head around the total up haul it has on your life. Perhaps I took my health for granted and now that I know I have to pace everything out it’s made me think about how I never appreciated the freedom I had when I was active and fit.
Normal everyday activities seem mammoth to me now yet once I just did so many things with ease.
There are feelings of fear as well because I think what happens if I have to have an operation because I do not ever want to re-visit the excruciating pain I had just after my hernia which went on and on day and night..that frightens me..I understand when my mum says that I should try not to think about that as it hasn’t happened yet but I do have those thoughts a lot and who’s to say now it’s developed the pain wouldn’t be worse because I literally could not handle that.
Does anyone know if a person has FM would an operation being unbearable pain after?
I’m so overwhelmed right now.

Hi dolphindora, it's never possible to know in advance how a surgery will affect any person, beyond typical recovery times and so on. " You pays yer money and you takes yer chances."

The best defense against the pain of FM and certainly a good idea if any surgery is contemplated, is to live as healthy a life as possible, physically, mentally, dietarily, and in every other way. Part of that is not allowing fear of something that might happen in the future to affect your life now. You say you took your health for granted previously....that is true of most people. Part of not doing that any more is to live in the moment and appreciate what you have now, even if it's not what you would choose. In order to do that you need to refrain from needless worry. I suggest you put those thoughts out of your mind and go for a walk instead. :)

Thank you for your answer. Even though I was undiagnosed for 2&1/2 years up until recently& I clearly knew something was wrong so it shouldn’t have been a massive shock I just need to actually accept it in my head and I will cause there’s no alternative.
I do walk with my dog everyday I used to do about 1&1/2 hours a day but now I can just about manage 40mins cause I kept pushing myself to do an hour and then I’d be in pain for days then the physio advised me to take the time down and find a level that was manageable..trial& error.
At least I finally know why I’ve felt like I have the past few years& that I wasn’t go crazy.
Once again I appreciate your reply and look after yourself.

You're welcome. And I suggest that you do your 40 minutes and give yourself credit for doing something good for yourself and your dog! If you feel extra good one day, try for 45. If that works, stay there for weeks or even months, and then maybe add another 5 minutes. And if adding time doesn't work at all, then still give yourself credit for the 40 minutes! That's really not bad at all, and your dog loves you for it. :) If you are afraid your dog isn't getting enough exercise, teach him tricks at home. That's really good for dogs too.

I took my health for granted until I had a heart attack in December 2020. 95% blockage and 8 heart attacks in the course of a few days,each one worse then the previous one. I had surgery for stent placement and went to the cardiologist this past Friday and found out I have another blockage that is 80-90% and another surgery is recommended. I'm on all kinds of new meds now and it has mentally worn me out. I thought living with FM was bad enough,now I have heart issues. For now I have declined surgery until I'm ready to deal with it mentally and the cardiologist is very understanding of that.
I used to be able to walk 2.5-3 miles with FM now I barely make it a mile before I'm just done.
I guess the doctors should do more to prepare people for surgery and the aftermath of mental health.
I stopped smoking,changed my diet and try to exercise as much as I can handle everyday. But surgery is on the horizon and I have to prepare for it. I didn't know what it was like the first time so that was scary for me. Never had surgery before the heart attack. Now that I know what to expect, I'm not looking forward to it and have to get myself prepared.

Sorry to hear that and I understand completely. I have read that you can ask for long lasting local anaesthesia at surgical site& if you have to have an IV drip to get it close to your body.
I copied and pasted this for you

During surgery, your body could be put in positions that may hyperextend or strain certain muscles. For example, your arm may be stretched over your head or out to the side to accommodate an IV.

Suggestions for alleviating this problem include:

• Asking to have your IV arm placed close to your body if at all possible
  • Asking whether you'll have an endotracheal tube in your nose or mouth during the procedure and if so, asking to wear a soft neck collar to lower the risk of your neck being hyperextended4
Keep in mind that some accommodations may not be possible, depending on the nature of the surgery.
Even though you'll be asleep and won't be aware of the pain of surgery itself, your brain will still be bombarded with pain signals, to which it will likely over-react, which can trigger a symptom flare.

To help counter this:

• Ask to be given opiate pain medication before surgery to help alleviate the activation of symptoms.
  • Ask to have a long-acting local anesthetic used on your incision

• Hope this helps you.

I've been through the surgery once back in December so I know what to expect. It's still scary knowing I have to go through it again so it has taken that mental toll on me knowing what to expect.
I do appreciate what you replied with and will keep it in mind for the next surgery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back