Not open for further replies.

dolphindora

Reason
Undiagnosed
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
UK
I’m not sure if I’m making any sense but what constitutes overdoing things. I only ask because even though it’s an individual thing I’m stuck with the whole thing.
I’ve had a really bad flare up and I keep wondering what was it that I overdid.
For example if you hoover pop to the shops take the dog out and you end up in more pain then that’s a sign you’ve overdone it but does that mean all you can do is just take the dog out and not anything else or whatever. Also is a flare up just due to overdoing it even if you are pacing things out or are there other reasons. I just don’t get what exactly it is I’m doing that’s causing them.
Have to be honest sometimes the pain scares me as I don’t know how our bodies are able to bear it. It can get so intense and excruciating I feel like I’m going to snap in half.
Can’t manage to even meditate with the level of pain I’ve been getting as I just cannot concentrate long enough as sometimes the pain can be so sharp
Sorry it’s such a glum conversation but that’s how I feel today. Struggling with absolutely everything I can’t believe I’ve come to this
I’m awaiting decision on PIP but I hate how long it takes cause we are left struggling for so many many months when if there was a 6-8wk turnaround our lives could’ve been made a little easier.
I’m in need of the help but it’s hard to portray it on a phone assessment. I sent off a diarised account of seven days from 12am-12pm as thought they’d get a better idea of what it feels like. I hope they grant it me. I will do the mandatory consideration& appeal if it’s a no but it frustrates me that you’re completely genuine and yet these appeals are so exhausting, stressful& so time consuming..how can that be good for people with fibromyalgia or indeed any debilitating long term condition.
The whole system needs a shake up.
Phew I feel better now..haha.

Nice to know others overdo things. I hate it when I do that. You aren't alone. Vent anytime you want to here. I've done my share of venting and also asking questions. I have been putting off the fact that I need to pick up some stuff at a thrift store, including trying to find clothes that fit. That means standing up by the rack and holding them against me since fitting roomes are still closed here. What is PIP?

A flare can be caused by overdoing things or they just happen, whenever, because they can. I follow the "spoonies" approach where you are allotted a certain number of spoons per day, with a number of each assigned to tasks, even a shower takes spoons. You have to determine what you will do in a day so you do not run out of spoons, you don't get extra. This seems to work well for me as I tend to be an over doer, but those days are gone. Google the spoon method, it works. I do stretches and light weights each morning regardless of my pain level, exercise does help. Walking even short distances helps. Supplements work, for me especially magnesium, turmeric and elderberry. I was diagnosed 17 years ago and it has gradually gotten worse, however, I do not like medication and will always opt for a "natural" treatment instead. I am 70 years old, in good health, except for fibromyalgia and don't take any medication. My doctors feel whatever I am doing works for me and to keep doing it. I think with research you can tailor a plan to your individual needs that will help you, it doesn't have to be without medication, some people need it to function. Don't wait for your doctors, get informed, stay current with new options and remain positive. The flares always end. Good luck, really hope you feel better.

dolphindora, the only way to know what is enough or too much is to keep experimenting with it, and most importantly learn to listen to what your body is telling you. Your body will send your brain signals to stop or modify what you are doing, but they may be somewhat subtle so you really have to pay attention.

I like to stop what I am doing, stand or sit still, close my eyes for a moment and "ask" my body how it is. I will get some kind of answer, and know if I need to stop.

And remember that no matter how well you learn to listen and how careful you are, you will still sometimes have a flare and not know why. That's the nature of FMS. But the more you work with it, do all the things you need to do to take care of yourself, and pay attention to your body, the less often this will happen.

Thank you for the reply!
It’s hard to know how far you can go as you may not feel the pain whilst doing things and it may not hit until later on and it’s trying to workout which activity you did that caused it and pushed you over the edge.
It’s a very strange condition that’s for sure
Sounds like you manage it well which is not an easy feat. Lately I’ve been feeling like I’m existing not living and I do try but most the time the pain is too bad. Most my day’s are spent pacing things out so the day’s go by pretty quickly. I do exercise sessions from the “Move with Leon” on the Versus Arthritis website. There are some great exercises on there. I haven’t done them for a few days but once the pain level has reduced I’ll start them again. I also do meditation on a daily basis and I started Magnesium supplements a few weeks ago. I will soon start Fish Oils and just introduce more as I go along.
Wish you well and thanks for the advice.

I could add that the skills that can help us are: describing exactly how our body is feeling, pinpointing symptoms and then tracking them, praps using 'diaries' for the various types of symptoms (Ache, pains (where), exhaustion, sleep, stomach, gut, skin... ). Maybe something we have never been good at, being too involved with others...
The pains I get for actions like sitting, standing, walking, lying down are a different category to it, but may influence the severe Ache I get in my limbs from overdoing it and the feverish-feeling I get from doing things or staying awake altho I am dead tired, followed by exhaustion. I can override all of this using energy, there are days when my cortisol/adrenaline don't let me feel it as much, but the backlash afterwards then takes days, so that means I have to turn my brain on and listen to my wife etc. warning me.
Overdoing it can be related to the time & toughness of the activity as well as my energy state. Up to mid-April I could only cycle full speed for 2-3 mins and if I went down with my speed, everything'd've been OK, if not my energy would break down and it'd lengthen the backlash up to hours or days. That showed me that for many energy activities, like that or carrying heavy things, 3 mins was the magic limit. Whilst for exercising 20'' per exercise was/is the magic limit. For socializing, 30' is the magic limit. With enough breaks of real rest I can increase the length of time. At friends retiring for 10' every half an hour may work. Unless I'm in a flare already. That said, using amino acids since April have improved my energy, stiffness & much more. The best amount of activities per day for me is still 2-3x1h, whilst 2x2h is usually stretching it. If I stay under this, I'd managed to eventually get around 9h of sleep by the morning (the amino acids help me get by with less), I've done enough self-treatments (1-2h/d) and gotten enough acupressure (2x2h/wk), then I feel pretty well and normal.

Using your examples: I need to keep hoovering, popping to the shops and walking to under 30 mins, e.g. 2x20' for each, meaning a break of 10 minutes or longer in between. Task-switching also helps, e.g. switching different kinds of housework regularly may be OK for 40', esp. if I do a fairly restful activity in between. (What helps me there is my impulsive nature, I start with hoovering one room, then see something needs sorting, bring something to the bathroom, might brush my teeth, sit down, put some music on etc. - occasionally hoovering the whole flat may get done eventually, if not, who cares... or if someone does - I just do what is most visible.)
So hoovering & shops I always keep short. If I meet someone and talk for 10' at the shops, that can make me need a break of an hour once I get home, which I'd not otherwise have needed. Walking with my wife or others depends on how I'm feeling, whether I've just been resting or doing something, how much time & energy she has. If I decide to try to keep up with her (it used to be the other way round), I can always opt for taking breaks on a bench after 20', best with legs up, or for going back home. If I don't, I take my bike. Or stay at home and say clearly why. We don't need to take our guinea pigs for walks... But if I had a dog & that'd be a bit too much for me, I'd need to delegate that or everything else, or prioritize, i.e. like you are asking - No housework or shopping for hours after. But part of pacing is simplifying, e.g. using one of those long-handled spoon things to throw balls till knackered and riding a bike instead of walking.
Because as I said it's not just how long and how often, it's how (energetic) we do things.
Reading & writing on forums or researching stuff by the way is 2nd nature to me, so counts as resting and feeling sort of purposeful at the same time.

Last edited:
Hi , can I get some advice please? next Wednesday I’ve got a got my 1st gp referred gym session , I told the instructor my c.f.s is at its worse between 1 +3pm so now he’s decided it’s an amazing idea for me to do my sessions between those times ( he thinks it’ll help) thing is I don’t wanna be half asleep on gym equipment, any advise be much appreciated 💋

Hi , can I get some advice please? next Wednesday I’ve got a got my 1st gp referred gym session , I told the instructor my c.f.s is at its worse between 1 +3pm so now he’s decided it’s an amazing idea for me to do my sessions between those times ( he thinks it’ll help) thing is I don’t wanna be half asleep on gym equipment, any advise be much appreciated 💋
Hey Auriel,

It's fascinating that he thinks that might help, but is he qualified to draw that kind of conclusion?! Does getting moving normally alleviate your symptoms? Exercise will release endorphins - the classic source of the "runner’s high" - so I guess that might be what he's imagining. You could try warming up with a walk before you go, if you think that might help. I know you don't get on with caffeine! You could get a pre-workout drink from a sports store. Or, you could also try aromatherapy to wake you up, with an essential oil like peppermint, ginger (I know - more yuck!), rosemary, or eucalyptus. That's the best I've got!

Good luck 💪💪💪

I would suggest that, as crazy as his suggestion sounds, you give it a try. Sometimes the most unlikely seeming thing is actually the right thing, and you won't know until you try it!

Exercise does help helps my mood too but I gotta try and balance the not doing too much vets too little but the fact he’s decided the best time is when I get my worse smack in the face fatigue (basically when I can’t function properly) his sister in laws got it but he hasn’t so he’s not experienced the joys of chronic fatigue 🙄

I meant verses too little ( I think I’m gonna download grammarly) 🤦‍♀️

I’m gonna give it a go see how I get on , thanks for advice 😚💜

I also second, ehm third: it's a brilliant idea to try, whether it backfires or not. It's not as if you were in a full pain flare.
That way he can see you at your worst, what a wonderful & empathetic idea to really help someone.
I don't think him knowing someone guarantees he really understands, it depends on that person, the relationship & his empathy.
But it may help. My acupressurist says she has/had fibro and is the only one to really help, but we realized the other day that she has up to now only seen pain in one area as fibro, she wasn't really aware of sleep etc. as fibro problem (altho she does have them too). As we are individual she and he are learning from us, to then teach us what they know, and then learn the effects/results and then learn again. That's the main thing, not the people starting out thinking they know it all, cause, symptoms and treatments, and not listening to us.
Same as in fibro pain: If you think it's too much, try to describe to him why. If you think after it was too much, same there, don't despair, say so, help him learn "you".

Wow someone “learning” me , that’s a challenge a half 😁 thanks jaycs,I’ll see how it goes

Gosh thank you so much for such an informative and helpful reply. You wrote that so well and your analogy makes so much h sense I guess it’s to do with timing. It is difficult when one day you can do it for day 40mins and on another day only 30mins so then you don’t know how much you can do as it changes every time. I will try again and see how I get on. It’s the pain in my back I can’t cope with such an intense aching cause it gives waves of real sharpness and all my vertebrae feel bruised. It’s in my sides too.
I have read that they now think it’s an auto immune disease and that in time could give hope to so many sufferers.
It’s strange that at the point it started one can be physically fit and getting on with life then out the blue you’re hit with such excruciating pain yet through any pain in the past you healed.
Anyway I appreciate you for making such a huge effort with your answer it’s a huge help
Take care..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back