DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
07/2022
Country
US
State
VA
Hey all,
So I’m starting to have severe pain and stiffness my fingers and hands. This is a new area of pain for me and it’s also way worse in the early house of morning. Just wanted to know if anyone else deals with this.
Thanks

sounds like arthritis to me but you should ask your doc about it, to make sure.
not really a typical fibro symptom
We have a bad tendency to just push new aches and pains off, attributing them to fibro - and this is not a good idea.
New symptoms should always be checked out to make sure there isn't something else going on.

It is even harder when doctors want to put something off on our fibro... I had gone in to get something checked out (dont remember specifically what now, this was a while ago) and the doc that saw me almost immediately brought up the fibro card..
I had to tell her that for me, fibro is muscle/tendon/ligament pain, mostly around the major joints - not the joint itself, but everything around it... what I was there for that day was something completely different and unrelated

One of my symptoms is severe finger and hand pain. The strength also drops so that I cannot even hold my coffee cup reliably. It is to do with the tendons and not arthritis. When my fibro goes down so do my hand pains. I have mild arthritis in my hands and the two pains are totally different.

Thank you for validating me. I sometimes I feel like I’m going crazy.

Thank you for validating me. I sometimes I feel like I’m going crazy.
You will always be validated here because we all share some of the same problems.

What cookiebaker was saying, and I agree, is that this could be another symptom of fibromyalgia, OR it could be something else.

We always recommend that any new symptom, no matter what it is, be a good reason to go to your doctor. The thing is that, , while fibromyalgia manifests in many ways, including hand pain, many other things could be the source of this new pain as well. And if you don't find out for sure, you run the risk of not getting treatment for something that is not fibro and that can be treated.

It's always good to know for sure.

And you are definitely not going crazy. Stick around here on this forum and you will realize that many of the members came here feeling like that because often people, even doctotrs, say if there's nothing wrong that can be found medically the pain isn't there. But we all know it is.
You are welcome here.

Hi I 2 am newly diagnosed and not been on the forum till now (still getting my head around this) but I get hand and finger pain and stiffness if that helps.
Im trying to be positive as I can but struggling at the moment 😭

yes chance (I do, and its painful + annoying) also hi @DJS , welcome to the forum ☕🍪👍🏻

Last edited:
So I’m starting to have severe pain and stiffness my fingers and hands
an xray will show arthritis if it is there and it sure sounds like it is arthritis pain can come and go as the weather pressure changes some say its the rain but it is the quick change in pressure that makes it flare up. (70 years of experience on that!).

yup, barometric pressure ups and downs can definitely cause arthritis flares. high pressure seems to be worse than low, but just like everything else, everyone is different.

there are several arthritis types, so it is a good idea to be checked for all of them - rheumatoid and psoriatic arthritis will both have inflammation markers that can be tested for, osteoarthritis generally does not - all forms will show bony changes in x-rays if it has gone on long enough. Psoriatic arthritis is usually associated with psoriasis (skin condition), and that is most often a hereditary thing. If there is no psoriasis in your family, i would not be terribly concerned with that one - but anything is possible.

It is also possible you could have something else entirely going on, so definitely worth getting checked out.

I went to a rheumatologist this past december
the "newer" pain in my fingers & hands is arthritis
I use salonpas on them
at anytime, I might have 2 or 3 fingers wrapped.....for the most part the salonpas work
however, one day one finger was particularly stubborn
I tried aleve that day which worked for that finger

We always recommend that any new symptom, no matter what it is, be a good reason to go to your doctor.
Agree with this. I have pain all the time, but I started to have pain in both hands and wrists--discovered one hand was arthritis and the other was DeQuarvain's.

Thankyou im just working my way around the forum 😁

Hi,
I am new to the forum and I get severe pain in my hands and fingers.I have Osteo Arthritis with bony changes (Has a name ) Sometimes my fingers lock, they call it trigger, it can last a few days and is very painful.I’m not sure if I didn’t have Osteo whether my hands and fingers would be painful due to Fibromyalgia.I find using heat rubs, I use Zen or Fisocrem helps and special gloves which support the hands

I have Osteo Arthritis with bony changes (Has a name )
heberden's or bouchard's nodes? (the difference is location)
I definitely have heberden's (joint closest to the finger tip), possibly bouchard's as well, but not as well developed (next joint back)

i dont know why they need to have different names, both are annoying, and can be painful.

Hello @Faery59, welcome to our forum ☕🧁, I have some osteo with fibro too, the only creams I use for pain now are one's with peppermint in them (cos they're nice scented and they work for me) I like the sound of Zen, I've not seen it in our British shops, I hope you like it here and stay with us a while
✨🧚🏼‍♀️✨

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back