Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
01/2008
Country
UK
State
anywhere
Hi all you lovely people. I have so many questions lately.

I have been in bed alot for several months on and off and i know i have been hunched up too much using a lap top etc propped up to drink watch TV sometimes.

I have been in too much pain everywhere to think or care at the time about long term damage that is not just fibro....but ofcourse now i do care because i am trying so hard to get back to doing things.

However i have pain in several bits of my upper spine, all my ribs and shoulder blades and upper back kill to touch or move.

I keep tying to stretch warm showers etc but unless i just sit with a hot water bottle it hurts so much...and my neck.

I realize inactivity is the enemy and don't know what else to do now?

Do you think you can recover from inactivity and how our muscles shorten being scrunched up for so long.

Yes I do. The fact is for some of us Fibro folk walking is the only thing that helps the stiffness and the pain.
It's a fine line thought.im fine as long as I take my tramadol but if I don't I'm crippled.
It hurts to move someday , but u really have to fight it.if u wanna get back on your feet

I have nearly worn the carpet out in my lounge/dining room keep doing 5 minute circuits then resting. thanks forgetmenot...i wish i had had a fibro pal nearby these last couple of years ...someone who understood but was also a leveller who could encourage me when things have happened that broke my spirit.

Thanks for replying.

How far or how long can you walk for Forgetmenot or does it vary a lot.

I could do 40 minutes or and hour some days but now 5 minutes and my joints are locking up more and more not easing out like before.

I have to do stretches every day and a couple yoga positions to keep my muscles as supple as possible. Otherwise if I am chilling during a string of really bad days I get middle upper back and neck pain with spasms. I've learned that having to work out the knots that build up is excruciatingly painful. So it's better to go through the effort everyday and avoid knots and painful spasm. If you're not taking muscle relaxants it might help to get you started on releasing the pain. Massage if you can stand it can help. I got a lap pillow that is adjustable for the viewing angle so I'm not hunching over and keeping my back straighter. There are quite a few on the market; just google and find one that fits your budget if you want to give it a try.

Oh thanks Loftpat...the pillow is a good idea. What sort of stretches and yoga positions do you do?

It sure hurts so much just to stretch and then i hurt even more afterwards.

Do you really think i can improve the pain and so much rigidity on my own by just stretching?

By massage do you mean getting a professional to massage your back and shoulders ?

All advice or experiences much appreciated.

I sometimes stretch while in a hot bath or shower. Just arms over head reaching for the ceiling is good for entire body.
The muscles are relaxed and easier to push a little bit. I, too, find myself hunched over my iPad, so I have learned you cannot
stay in one position. Got to change it up.

Stretching in the shower is great. My morning stretches are a take off from my cat. Arms, legs, hunching my back, laying on my back and stretching my entire body. I start with a gentle stretch and do more if my body says yes. As for yoga, look up restorative yoga. Great for stress and pain. There are also a number of website for yoga and fibro. Also seated yoga poses if you can't get down on your mat. As for massage, I can't afford it, so I ask a friend to gently work on the knot or use a tennis ball and rub against the wall. You can regulate the amount of pressure you use.

I certainly do think gentle stretching and yoga help with my pain. Help me stay as fit as possible and relaxes me. Just remember to start low and go slow if you haven't done this before. Good luck!

I have exactly the same issue with my upper back as I spend 80% of my time in or on my bed and after trying different techniques with my physiotherapist I do tai chi adapted for those in pain, stretches you can do sat on a chair or the end of your bed, and a series of videos that slowly go from a 1 minute routine to a full 20 minutes when your body can handle it. Whenever I've had a relapse and spent a long time in bed I try and do just 1 or 2minutes a day of tai chi. There are plenty of videos on YouTube of tai chi for the elderly and disabled. I also have a weekly session of acupuncture which my boyfriend drives me to, besides the meds the regular acupuncture really helps the muscles stay unaffected.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back