Pain medication?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My mother had chronic pain in her neck and she just recenly got a medical license to use canibis, shes not in as much pain as he use to be and shes finally off them pain killers that the doctor gave her.

I have been taking Vicodin for two years. Only to give me a break from the pain. I value the precious moment I can enjoy the day with out pain. The pain and exhaustion wear me down in no time. :)

I have been given tramadol for the pain but I'm having horrible withdrawal I get terrible diarrhea i fell like I'm on fire inside and out I have lowerd my dose slowly but still fell very ill the pain is of the scale but I don't want to be on this type of medicine (opiates) I can't try cannabis as it's against the law in the UK although some illness it is being tried on but not fibromyalga

I lived (well, existed) with Fibromyalgia symptoms for 12 years before I was diagnosed. The activities I was able to do on a daily basis were slowly taken away. Then the activities I could do at all were taken away. I went to 4 different doctors before I finally found one who was able to make sense of my symptoms and put a name to it all. The month I was diagnosed, my doctor did not prescribe any narcotic pain meds. He started me out with Cymbalta, and Motrin 800. Three months later when I came into his office crying with pain and my blood pressure being through the roof, when I have never had any blood pressure issues in my life, he decided that my case might need a "more aggressive pain management strategy." Three years later, I am still on the pain meds, Cymbalta, Motrin 800, Savella, Elavil, Flexeril, and that is not the whole list. Pharmacologically, I should have died from serotonin syndrome 6 months ago. But this is the regimen that allows me to function at some capacity. It isn't pretty, but it is what it is.

There are quite a few suggestions here on the forum, from stretching, yoga to marijuana, one must see what suits us better.

It is highly addictive. I know people that were on vicadin and couldn't get off of it. It's a wonder drug that doesn't let you go. I'd rather take ibuprofen that that. I know crack addicts that have less of an addiction than pain relievers do.

Well its been about six weeks since I started to withdraw for pain killers it has been hell so to try something that isn't drugs I have purchased a tens electronic pain relief unit I'm not sure about the benefits so far I'm in a hole lot of pain I'm not sleeping more than 3 hours in a night at this time because I awake in terrible pain

It is highly addictive. I know people that were on vicadin and couldn't get off of it. It's a wonder drug that doesn't let you go. I'd rather take ibuprofen that that. I know crack addicts that have less of an addiction than pain relievers do.

This is one of my main concerns regarding these drugs and in the same line, anti-depressants, they might relieve immediate symptoms, but they are highly addictive.

I think most of us have tried a range of options. When you've gone through diet, supplements, medications and exercise, it basically boils down to what works for each individual. I recognize the potential for Tramadol problems, however it does allow me to function. Nothing takes all the pain away. As for antidepressants, there are some folks, like me, with severe depression who see them as a lifeline. Literally. Everything we take, whether medications or supplements or tinctures, has the potential to do harm if we are not mindful of using the least amount or contraindications. I work with a doc who uses natural and pharmaceutical approaches. After months of trying different regimens I finally have a mix that typically keeps my daily pain level at 4-5. There may be longer term consequences, but I also need to be able to live now. That's the balance.

I hear you I'm just worried that after all I've been through changing pain meds I don't end up having to go through it all again I'm on the lowest amount I can get away with but I'm getting very little relief from the pains I also understand the need for some people to take anti depressants my late brother suffered bad depression it took his life in the end

I am so against tons of meds, I am a firm believer of the natural way, I think that drugs should help us, but not create a ton of side effects.

As much as possible, I don't like to be a drug dependent for any pain medication. Once we get used to it, the main purpose of the medication won't help us at all. That's why we go back to our doctor because the drug is not helping us. I experienced it.

There are many triptoline antidepressants that the side affect is reduced pain. There's noretryptoline (I know I'm butchering the spellings) and amatryptoline. I've tried them both. Amatryptoline seemed to work some, but gave me such severe dry mouth. Some can overcome it, but I never did so stopped taking it. I do take hydrocodone (Vicodin). I stumbled on that many years ago. I was having severe stomach cramps so my gyno prescribed it to help when it was really bad. Amazingly, my feet pain reduced, my leg pain reduced, my shoulder, back, neck, etc. all felt way better. I've kept it in my box of tools for when I'm really having a flare, or if I'm doing something very active. Sometimes when I wake up and I have to get something done, I'll take a hydro. I can then clean house. I can go several weeks without taking them and I have taken them ongoing several weeks if I'm having a really bad time. I don't know what the withdrawals are and have never felt like I "had" to have them. They're just there for when I need them. Same with my muscle relaxers. I have several different ones available to me. If I am having some muscle strain, I take one kind and if I'm having major back spasms and the milder relaxer doesn't work, I have something more powerful.

I'm in agreement with whoever said we all have some differences. It's true. I read one of the posts who said they have taken more than they were prescribed and it didn't work any better. That's a no-no. Never take more than prescribed. You could cause serious damage to yourself.

Green Bean, I'm sorry you are having such a terrible withdrawal. Isn't there anything they can do to help you? As I said, I have never had that feeling of withdrawal. If I stop taking a pain med, so be it. I may take another one again the next day, or two or three days later. Good luck to you....

I'm past the withdrawal symptoms now it's been terrible I was on high dosage of dhc if i was a junkie I would have been treated better but it's in the past now I'm still on tramadol the lowest amount I can take with not much relief from the pains I have I've been trying yoga for several weeks now but it's not helpful so far but in time it may fingers crossed

Try to soak in Epsom salt and baking soda each night 90 minutes before bed. I need to get back to that. It really does work well and the 90 minutes before is targeted for that time by design. It pulls toxins from your body and relaxes the muscles. The theory is that the specific time triggers dopeamines (sp) in your system so you are ready for sleep.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back