Pain Pain and more pain

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrianH

Here I am, Not even fully diagnosed but more than my fair share of the pain. I though it was Arthritis or something like that.

I do have Arthritis but it doesn't account for the all over my body pain and IBS and much more. I'm in shock that my Doctor hadn't found out years ago when I first complained about the severe debilitating pain all over my body.

I though it was mostly caused by Rheumatoid arthritis, just found out I don't have it, Just the regular kind.

Anyway I'm here for help with tips on how to reduce the pain so I can relax a little. I'm glad to be here and hope I can help others also. Bless you all.

Hi Brian,

Welcome to the forum! It's great to have you here. I'm sorry to hear about your journey up until now, and hope that you finally get that diagnosis, and some good support from your doctors.

While there are several medications that some - sadly not all - find useful for fibromyalgia, the best plan of attack that you'll find recommended here is to develop a lifestyle-based management strategy. Sunkacola has a pinned post at the top of the General Discussion section of the forum that gives a really comprehensive overview of where to start, so I suggest having a read of that. Things like:
  • Pacing (read up on "spoon theory" to get a sense of this!)
  • Stress management (very important, as stress can place us in a cycle of re-triggering)
  • Practicing acceptance and self-compassion
  • Sleep hygiene/sleep support
  • Healthy diet (some find out that they have food sensitivities - an elimination diet can be useful)
  • Light but regular exercise
  • Exploring other potential triggers, like chemical sensitivities
This kind of stuff might seem trivial, but for the fibromyalgia body it can make all the difference. Beyond that, many of us find certain supplements useful, although we all seem to respond a little differently! It's a complex and multi-faceted condition, which makes experimentation really important. Be your own guinea pig, and try stuff out until you pinpoint what your body responds to. I really recommend keeping a little notation diary as you go, to track how you feel and identify what triggers/helps your symptoms.

Supplements that some of us take (probably will miss some, but will do my best!)
  • GABA
  • Melatonin
  • Boswellia
  • CoQ10
  • Alpha Lipoic Acid
  • Acetyl L-Carnitine
  • Vitamin D
  • B Complex
  • Vitamin C
  • CBD
  • Magnesium
  • Turmeric
  • NAC
  • D Ribose
  • Omega 3s
  • Lithium Orotate
That's definitely not exhaustive - there are others out there, so do your research if curious to take the supplements route. There's also quite a bit of interest in low-dose Naltrexone, or LDN, as an emerging fibro treatment - this is considered "alternative" but needs a prescription.

If you want to read about something in particular here in the forum, the search function is really handy. You can filter to find other people's experiences if they've been through / tried out something that is relevant to you.

I wish you every success in finding the tools you need to reduce your symptoms. So many of us here - including me - have made fantastic progress in managing fibro, so I'm sure you can too. Stick around, let us know how you get on, and vent whenever you need to!

Hello Jemima.

Thank you so much for the warm welcome! Thank you again for the wealth of information you have supplied for my problem.

I have been taking Clonazepam for sleep 3.5mg and Pregabalin 300mg twice a day for the pain but I have been in a lot of pain still. I am waiting results
from Rheumatology at the end of October but my Doctor today finally prescribed Butec pain patched that are supposed to be more powerful than Morphine. I put one on this morning and I think its starting to work I hope. It takes time to get into your system it says.

I have waited many years for a proper diagnosis and I never new
Fibromyalgia exited until a Rheumatology hand scanner Lady said it was on my notes as a possibility. I was shocked as after reading the criteria for having FM I could have been diagnosed several years ago and I could have even diagnosed myself. I have been in so much pain I have been getting morpheme off the black market which helps but dulls my brain.

Anyway Jemima it's late and I really wanted to thank you for your reply and from a senior member makes it all the more special. I was working until the Pandemic and now I have been in more pain than I could work with.

I have had some really low times and I think many people with FM have, But I am still here to tell the tale and there is light at the end of the tunnel.

I am Vegan so I am eating healthy and take b12 and other
supplements for none meat eaters. I have not been able to get much exercise but after the pain patch Buprenorphine I had Yesterday morning I think that might change. I might even be able to start meditation again.
Its a little naughty but I ordered
Diazepam online which should arrive Today as I notices it was being taken by others.

I wont go on and on Jemima, But you have been a great help and inspirer to me.

All the best wishes in the world and many blessing to you also.

Many thanks,
Brian.

Hi @Mr Bee ,

I'm not sure if you were trying to post a link up there, but there is a no link policy here in the forum. If you want to send someone to an external website, describe what they should Google rather than posting a link!

@BrianH ,

I recommend being incredibly careful hitting your body with strong medications. Be cautious of interactions, and aware of how addictive the drugs you mentioned are. Beyond anything else, this approach doesn't tend to be very helpful with fibromyalgia, as it only attempts to cover up rather than address the problem. I'd advise that it's better not to treat the end symptoms - for example by taking painkillers and sedatives as a first stop - but rather to develop a management strategy that addresses the root of symptoms and minimises flare triggering in the first place.

To quote our wise moderator:
Fibro is a systemic syndrome, and cannot be helped by treating symptoms, but can be helped by taking the whole system into account.

After a long stretch of suffering, by taking this approach myself, I went from bed-bound by pain to mobile and working, with only about 30% of my pain remaining. It can be done, so please do consider looking after yourself holistically first, and medicating later if you must. We're all different, but I'd say worth considering!

Hello Jemima.

Thank you so much for the warm welcome! Thank you again for the wealth of information you have supplied for my problem.

I have been taking Clonazepam for sleep 3.5mg and Pregabalin 300mg twice a day for the pain but I have been in a lot of pain still. I am waiting results
from Rheumatology at the end of October but my Doctor today finally prescribed Butec pain patched that are supposed to be more powerful than Morphine. I put one on this morning and I think its starting to work I hope. It takes time to get into your system it says.

I have waited many years for a proper diagnosis and I never new
Fibromyalgia exited until a Rheumatology hand scanner Lady said it was on my notes as a possibility. I was shocked as after reading the criteria for having FM I could have been diagnosed several years ago and I could have even diagnosed myself. I have been in so much pain I have been getting morpheme off the black market which helps but dulls my brain.

Anyway Jemima it's late and I really wanted to thank you for your reply and from a senior member makes it all the more special. I was working until the Pandemic and now I have been in more pain than I could work with.

I have had some really low times and I think many people with FM have, But I am still here to tell the tale and there is light at the end of the tunnel.

I am Vegan so I am eating healthy and take b12 and other
supplements for none meat eaters. I have not been able to get much exercise but after the pain patch Buprenorphine I had Yesterday morning I think that might change. I might even be able to start meditation again.
Its a little naughty but I ordered
Diazepam online which should arrive Today as I notices it was being taken by others.

I wont go on and on Jemima, But you have been a great help and inspirer to me.

All the best wishes in the world and many blessing to you also.

Many thanks,
Brian.
Brian, I second Jemima's warnings about taking strong pain medication. For one thing, they are addictive and you do not need to add to your problems, as tempting as it is to keep taking them. For another, they do not address the underlying issue, only mask the pain and they will not continue to work well for you, in all probability, and you may have to take more of them and so on.

Instead, I recommend you try different things to see if you can manage what is going on without heavy pain meds. I understand you are eating well, so that's a good start. I recommend that you read this post, and see if trying any of the many suggestions there will help you. I know many of them help me and others. Like Jemima, I went from being mostly incapacitated to having a life again by changing how I lived with fibromyalgia.

Here's the post:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back