DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
Is
State
Pa
Hi,

I am a 26 year old who was diagnosed with fibromyalgia about 2 years ago. I have tried to stay active, but I have progressed with pain and problems very quickly. Does anyone else have a problem with weight gain? I can not seem to stop gaining weight no mater what I do. Please help!

i am 6.3 i was 340 im now 290

check all your drugs on a drug website you will find on google!

check the side effects look for weight gain and other things!

what meds are you on?

read my tips for new comers about diet and follow it also cmetryme has keeping logs

on here i recommend that now dont take this wrong how much pain can you and

do you take not ment to insult with fibro we have to push our limits or pain

gets worse mobility goes down

water is the best and most recommended and easiest on fibro

are you on any pain killers?

google meditation focus center self hypnoses martial arts teaches how to take control over your mind

i took two years i rush to say bs and hocus pocus crap but the above helps me and another member

its not complicated or fancy its the art or reteaching your mind to focus on something else

and if you work on it it works it can take me from a 10 or more to a 8 no mrical but relief

i use music or driving

the weight we have to modify our diet to match our activity low activity less food

and like i said read what i wrote about diet modify what you eat and take in

good luck take care feel free to private message me

Can't agree more with above post, but yes as we do less and less and still eat the same weight goes on.
Even meds that says weight grain really means that the drug makes you more hungry.
Some ppl find movement helps them ,Im One of them.but for some it just make there pain worse. So it depends what u can do and what u can't. But we all can control what we eat.ive put on loads of weight. It's my own fault I comfort eat. I'm not obese but I no I have to eat less .it really is that simple.

Hi Stephm, good to meet you.

Grouchy and Forgetmenot have good advice (as usual)!

I have a strong tendency to gain weight as I age. There have been periods of time in my life when I ate very poorly, and I really gained a lot of weight. Even when I have been active and eaten very healthy I tend to stabilize at the top end of overweight or the bottom end of obese. And this was all before fibromyalgia :)

Before I had fibromyalgia, I had chronic migraines. I had to change my diet to stop triggering migraines. This meant cutting out sugar, flour and highly processed foods with a lot of additives. Changing my diet this way did cause me to lose a significant amount of weight but the main reason I did it was to prevent pain. In my experience, doing things for the sole reason of losing weight does not create long-term change. Doing things to make yourself healthier (or in this case feel less pain) is much more powerful because I feel highly motivated to stick to the plan.

In my case this meant eating more protein and less refined carbohydrates. As I have become more in tune with my body's needs I have moved to homemade, organic, local, seasonal food (in that order of importance). Before fibromyalgia I used to play soccer and jog. Now I walk and swim. I might gain weight or might lose weight at this point it doesn't matter to me. I am just focused on feeling as healthy as I can under the circumstances.

thanks DK and Forget really appreciated!

one thing i forgot this and my new comers post!

water retention we can at time retain water i do sometimes and then if were on narcs our bowls back up!

a nasty gross fact a full intestine system top to bottom can weigh 15 pounds.

hey next time they say your full you can say yes yes i am thank you lmao.

no seriously i have to take a softener every day sometimes two i take 10 pills or so so i just throw it in the mix!

i have ibs and reactive Colin thats at time 100 time worse than fibro or back pain omg so i say than you narcs!

The ERs and others say im a junkie i say yup but not ibs lmao

take care guys

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been fighting morbid obesity even longer than I've been fighting fibromyalgia and both of them sure make each other worse.

For me, the only success I have is keep to a low-inflammation diet. I've custom designed one based on the Mediterranean Diet, but for people on a food stamp budget because that's what I've got: $196 to feed myself on each month.

Cooking, baking, washing dishes- all of these things are really, really hard for me because of the fibro. Food that I can just yank out of a box or can and pop in the microwave or eat right out of a package is easier than cooking, but when I eat things with sugar and/or white flour or lots of cheese and/or salt? I can't stop eating. So I have to force myself to stick to a food plan where natural peanut butter and fruit are the main "treat foods" and even those I portion control.

On the bright side, because I can't work any more and I'm stuck at home with the Internet as my best friend/favorite addiction besides food, I do have the time to cook.

I chop vegetables and other food prep sitting in a chair.

When I stick to a leafy green vegetable-heavy, legume-heavy, no red meat, no processed food diet, I lose weight and feel a whole lot better about myself. As soon as I'm back to eating hamburgers, potatoes and any kind of non whole grain bread or pasta? I gain the weight back. :(

Hi Laurel, good to meet you! Do you find that the low inflammation diet you are following also helps reduce your fibromyalgia symptoms?

There was aanother thread started by dancingwithfibro regarding plant-based diets and fibromyalgia that ties in with the discussion here.

Hi Laurel, good to meet you! Do you find that the low inflammation diet you are following also helps reduce your fibromyalgia symptoms?

There was aanother thread started by dancingwithfibro regarding plant-based diets and fibromyalgia that ties in with the discussion here.

I think that it really does. I'm not pain-free by any means but its much less severe and a lot of the other symptoms, including the fibro fog/coherency improve when I'm on it for 4-5 days.

I sit on the fence over tomatoes/green peppers though. Eating/not eating the nightshade family doesn't seem to make much of a difference for me personally, and they are foods I start to crave pretty fast when I go without them. I've read a lot that suggests fibro sufferers are better off limiting if not avoiding them completely though.

I put on 30 pounds last summer around the time my symptoms were really presenting. I was still pretty active - hiking, canoeing, etc. I wasn't on any pain meds. But I was just ravenous. Constantly! Don't have that anymore, but can't get the weight to come off because I sometimes comfort eat. I thought at the time that my cortisol and stress levels might be messing up my system. Drinking more water helped with being ravenous.

I think I'll investigate the low-inflammation diet mentioned by Laurel.

Thanks for sharing Laurel and Getemgirl (love that name btw).

I tried eliminating both nightshades and gluten. I didn't notice any difference when I stopped eating them or when I reintroduced them.

It sure helps me to limit added sugars and processed foods though.

I wish junk food was banned ,my self control lasts a few days and then I can't help myself.i hate the way I look ,I really don't find anything sexy about myself anymore.
I wish I could lose this weight but it's so hard when your in pain.

I hear you! Junk food is designed to extremely palatable without being satisfying. That way we eat it by the handful but never feel full.

Pain really does make everything harder. It wears you down.

Something interesting I learned a few years ago is that the human brain strongly associates a really tasty food with time and place. So if you ate a croissant in a little coffee shop, next time you go to that shop, your brain goes on alert to look for food and you won't be able to stop thinking about the lovely croissant you had the other day. This impulse helps you survive if you are a hunter/gatherer. Unfortunately in a modern setting it helps you gain weight.

About 9 years ago I went through a very difficult time in my career. I was so overloaded I could not pause long enough to eat meals. I got in the habit of grabbing a snack from the vending machine so I could keep going. After my work load eased up and I could eat lunch again, I still kept going back to the vending machine for a bag of Cheetos (my personal nemesis). I was having a terrible time breaking that habit. I had to ease my way out by substituting a less unhealthy food from the vending machine. I worked my way from Cheetos to Sun Chips to peanuts. Eventually I brought nuts from home that I kept in my desk to keep me away from that rotten machine!

Hi Laurel, it's nice to meet you. Like DK mentioned, I started a thread regarding a plant based diet, please check it out.

Have you ever considered a juicing fast? I highly, highly recommend it. Especially since you've already shown noticeable benefits to more greens. I watched a juicing documentary on Netflix that was so inspirational, it's called Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead. It really motivated me to significantly change my diet and I've been juicing everyday since and I have more energy to be active, cognitive functions are better, and I'm in better spirits. Personally, I am not seeing a significant change in the actual pain, but a lot others have. There's an online forum specifically for people with fibro who are helping themselves with juicing. I've only been on this new diet for a month and I think it will only continue to help, hopefully with pain too!

The cost of juicing was a concern of mine, but now that I don't buy any meat and other foods, it offsets the costs. But I do go shopping a lot more, once every couple of days, as I need fresh produce to juice.

I really hope you give juicing a try!

Kinda also could not beleave the lbs I put on, 20 in one month alone, another 15 to 20 after I quit smokeing. So, hang in there, try to exersize, I go to the gym 40.00 a month I try and go 4 times a week. I plan on picking it up, as I get stronger. Depression. Is a huge obstickle, don't let that stop you! Take baby steps.
For myself, I've decided to work out for me, my mind, a d well being, if the weight comes off, well then wonderful. Please don't give up..it will be brighter around the corner. So be determined. And ya know what there WILL ALL WAYS BE THE NEIGH SAYERS, YOU KNOW, THE ONES THAT JUST KNOW WHAT YOU SHOULD DO. DON'T LISTEN TO THEM.....LISTEN TO YOUR HEART!
I'm old enough to be your Granny, so if you ever need Granny ears , feel free to share, and there is a private way to send messages also.

Recently my appetite has been down. I'm hungry at lunch and eat a good balanced meal. Decaf soy latte for breakfast. Sometimes nothing for dinner because my body is telling me I'm not that hungry. It's working. About one pound per week by not eating dinner 3-4 night per week. Ate one gluten free sugar cookie this week with beautiful frosting on it...gained 2 pounds. Darn! I guess refined sugar has to be cut entirely. It also may have started the flare I seem to be having the past few days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back