Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
08/2015
Country
US
State
MA
Hi all. New here and want to share how I got this condition and ask a few questions.

I was dealt a severe emotional blow about 6 y ago and after that my hair started falling out and the stress did something to my body. A few years later, I moved into an apartment with huge mold colonies inside the bathroom walls and the mycotoxins from the mold spores got me really sick. It was after that I stopped being able be around strong scents...anything made of chemicals that outgas. Then 4 months ago I moved into an apartment with wall-to-wall carpet, not realizing the many terrible chemicals they out in nylon carpeting and carpet backing these days would be a problem. That's when I started noticing when I laughed, my whole lower torso, esp muscles in back were very sore.

Now when I sleep on my side I have a lot of pain. Even when slightly turned on my back, my buttock muscles hurt. The problem is, I'm so exhausted very day that I just sit on my butt (!) and that might worsen things. Just sitting hurts right now.

Something tells me caffeine could be a problem (it doesn't affect my sleep; I believe it could make my pain worse).
And that I need to build up the muscle mass I lost during the emotional trauma by working out.
Do you think any of this could help? Any other suggestions?

Thanks so much.

Hmmm. No responses.
Seems to me there's really no one here who has anything in the way of a solution.

I do see a lot of people ventilating about the problem, though - and making this all about the physical.
lol

Hopefullone,

You haven't said if you were diagnoseded with fibro or not. I'll take a stab at what I think you are asking: A 20min walk daily helps-even when you hurt-as it's important to keep moving. Caffeine can cause pain as it makes muscles tighter. I advise LOTS of water. It not only hydrates entire body but also helps flush out toxins, (including from your muscles) You may find some relief by slowly stretching the buttock muscles. A heating pad may help and a pain cream as well. Hope something helps.
Blessings

Hi there,

I lived in a rental unit with a really horrible mold infestation 6 years ago and that's when every single one of my symptoms started. I immediately moved out once I realized how bad the mold problem was, my attic (which I never went into) was completely covered in black mold. Anyways, the symptoms never improved and I went to an integrative medicine dr. who put me on Richie Shoemaker's detox protocol. The detox requires avoidance of fermented foods, aged cheese, alcohol, sugars, and also grains, coffee and corn. Cholestyramine and Lamisil tablets were also prescribed along with supplements like milk thistle which help detox.

I'm sorry to say that those medications, supplements and diet change didn't do a thing and I wasted money and time. But that's not to say they you won't benefit from a prescribed detox program and dietary changes, so try if you'd like. One thing to keep in mind is I think some alternative med drs. prey on sick people like us to make money, many of their views and treatment plans aren't based in science. My newer dr has wanted to run blood tests that detect a presence of mold in the body, I'm not sure if that's the issue i'm dealing with and the blood tests are $300 out of pocket plus the $140 visist fee. I suppose once I have the finances I may have the tests done so that I know for sure my symptoms aren't from mold. My theory is that constant stress on the body from a toxin like mold or other serious toxins trigger fibro, there most likely isn't mold in the body.

I was finally diagnosed after a few years of being sick with fibro, hypermobile joints and am hypothyroid. I do find exercise really helpful, pain is still there but it's rarely at a level 10 like it used to be. Since starting an exercise program pain levels are much lower and I've had 1 bad flare in the past 3 months, which is an improvement. Bad news is that I still have insomnia and fatigue.

If I were you I would move out of that apt and into one with hardwood floors and check for mold from leaks and water damage. You may lose your deposit but if your certain the carpeting is making you sick, i think your health is worth loosing the money.

Last edited:
Thanks both. Very helpful!
I got a massage yesterday, first one in 10 years at least, and I really needed it. It helped a lot. Massage therapist said something helpful too: as many times as i can remember throughout the day, do a body scan and notice where I'm tight or holding stress and relax those body parts, even face, jaw, clenched fists, etc. Of course the bottom line is this is all fear that causes that so I work my program of recovery too...I ask God to remove my fear and I have a way to identify the exact fear, write it out then discuss it with others if necessary.

Also started working out lightly to build muscle mass back up so the pain won't be so bad when I'm sleeping.

So it's about relaxing and stretching and massaging, then building up strength.

About the mold, I've done so much research on it and what I've found is it IS a good thing to get rid of sugar and caffeine and change our diets (peri-menapause can also add to the problem. And saunas or sweating out the toxins, and just time can help if we're staying away from places that trigger us. Before I moved into the apt recently with carpet, just living in a healthy apt with wood floors slowly helped me detox a lot. But then this new apt got me sick again - and quickly. The carpets must've been LOADED with chemical crap. The carpet backing is the culprit along with with the chemicals they use when they spin and twist the nylon fibers themselves. If the other hundreds of tenants only knew what they were breathing...

People like us (mold affected folks) are the canaries in the coal mine. We are a good indicator of what others are slowly being exposed to. It is also well-known among us that our affliction can become fibro, MS, and other scary diseases. So yes, I've left that apartment. Watching my hair start to fall out was enough...I actually went to a shelter. That's how badly I got affected.

After 2 weeks in that apt with the carpet, something made me laugh really hard. I noticed all the muscles in my torso hurt. Then I climbed a bunch if stairs and my body was in agony.

The mental trauma and fear I was in for 18 years in my childhood home plus the constant blame and other abuse I weathered from my family for decades afterwards that I believed and thought was normal - was my first huge trauma. Then I had two other extremely emotionally traumatizing events happen in my life, then the mold hit. And that was it. My sweet, gentle, petite body couldn't take anymore.

So now I heal. It's a lot of work spiritually, mentally and physically. Mind, body & spirit

God bless

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back