Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
06/2001
Country
US
State
CA
I've been on a PPI (acid blocker for acid reflux) for about ten days and my Fibro/RA pain and muscle spasms have been unbearable. I just read that PPIs can cause joint and muscle pain/spasms partly because they cause magnesium deficiency.

Anyone else have experience with this? Thank you.

Have not taken PPI. But if the medication is causing you more problems, stop taking it. And definitely try a calcium magnesium supplement to see if that helps. It doesn't help everyone but worth a try.

Thanks sunkacola. I don't think it's my imagination and joint/muscle pain is a listed side effect. My acid reflux is pretty severe. I started a supplement with Licorice, Aloe, Slippery Elm, and Marshmallow Root. Hopefully that helps.

My experience is that PPI do not help me much I take simple Rolaids for acid reflux Hope this helps

PPIs are the ONLY thing that completely works for me which is why I'm torn. I take Tums now but it's only short term relief. I've been off of the PPIs for over a week and still have severe muscle pain, so maybe it's not the issue.

You may have to give it more than a week, because if that was causing your pain it will take time for your body to detox from it.

Have you tried medical cannabis for the acid reflux? It works for a lot of people.

Good point.

I'm in recovery from alcohol and pills so I can't take cannabis, unfortunately. I started taking a supplement with licorice, marshmallow root, slippery elm, and aloe. It helps, but not completely.

Ah, I see. Well, give that supplement a good long try, see if it helps. Also, I would recommend drinking a tea made of those same things at least once a day.

I had to go back to the acid blocker. I'm almost done with the supplement and I still need to take Tums several times a day. My BMI is currently 41 which is isn't helping the situation with acid reflux. I start a weight loss program today, so I'm hoping that losing weight will help. I never had this problem until I became obese.

I had to go on a PPI also. I’d wake up with gerd in my throat. It was horrible. I take magnesium for constipation. Maybe it’s enough to help the PPI work without causing me more pain. I can’t connect my pain to any particular food or supplement.

Have you tried raising the head of your bed several inches? I know that sounds phony, but I knew someone once who had had hiccups that lasted for over a year, and the result was that his stomach acid ate away the bottom part of his esophagus. Talk about acid reflux. Even after the hiccups stopped he had very bad acid reflux for the rest of his life.
The only thing that helped him was to raise the head of his bed by about 6". Apparently sleeping that way also helped how he felt during the day. Just thought it was worth mentioning.

I tried a wedge pillow, but I couldn’t use a regular pillow on top. I got horrible neck pain. I’ll see if hubby can raise the top of the bed. Maybe then I can use a pillow. Thanks.

All you have to do is put bricks or whatever under the top feet of the bed. They even make risers designed to lift up your bed. They come in packs of four because they are used so that you can have storage under the bed, but you would only use two.

What has been helping me most after decades of trying things out is a herb remedy containing chamomile, silverweed, angelica, blessed thistle, vermouth, licorice, if possible without alcohol. Definitely never anything with peppermint or any mint, not in meds, food, tooth paste or chewing gum, nowhere. My dentists know that and there are alternatives. Also no pepper(s), hot spices, alcohol, coffee, and anything to do with onions, garlic, chives etc., but that's praps more the burning in my stomach than my reflux or my IBS, but I think that's probably all connected. I'm not sure, but I'm thinking that my mint-free chewing gum helps against the acidity too, which I am chewing for my teeth, even more now I've realised I've got a dry mouth which is again bad for the teeth and explains suddenly much increased teeth problems in the last 3-4 years.

I've just been realising the last few weeks that oat and rice milk and praps also pure water give me reflux.
(I've stopped drinking pure water (and teas) anyway, normally, unless I have to, eating out, because it is a strong diuretic to me.)
What works best for me is soy milk (and almond milk, but the price!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back