Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
02/2018
Country
US
State
NY
I was wondering if anyone is using the medication Savella for their fibromyalgia ? I am currently on cymbalta. Also, i am currently experiencing a bad flare so my doctor increased my prednisone to 50mg for 5 days. I am on day 2 and still have pain in my muscles. In the past prednisone at a lower dose has help tremendously. I am so depressed !! Any info would be greatly appreciated thank you 🙏

That is the thing about steroids, which Prednisone is. The dosage will always have to be increased because it stops being effective enough. Steroids are extremely bad for your body, because they do not really do anything to address the pain. Instead what they do is increase adrenaline, which makes you feel better. But if you continue to take a steroid, especially if you increase the dosage, what happens is that your body stops producing adrenaline on its own, and that is a very bad thing. If you ever go off the steroid, you will go through a terrible and dangerous time because your body has become seriously addicted to it. Additionally, the use of steroid medication can lead to kidney disease, liver damage, high blood pressure, fluid retention, weight gain, mood swings, lowered immunity and other very serious conditions.

The best advice I can give to you is to stop taking steroids entirely. You will need to do this correctly if you have been taking them for a long time, so get a doctor to tell you how to go about it. If you have only been taking steroid medication for a short time, then you can wean yourself off it, or if you only just started within the past month you can just stop.

There are many things you can do to help yourself and ease the severity and the frequency of FM pain without using drugs, and I strongly recommend that you check out my post about that and start trying any and all of the things recommended there that you are able to do. It can make a huge difference, and has for many people, to make lifestyle changes that support your overall health.

If you can live without pain medication, do. Just go through the days of pain and accept them for what they are. That is what I do the vast majority of the time. If your pain is so severe that all you can do is lie on a couch and groan, then some kind of medication is appropriate, but if the Cymbalta and the steroids are not doing it for you, you need to try something else. I have found that combining an OTC pain medication with a doctor-prescribed muscle relaxant will often do the job. It won't remove the pain, but it will bring it down to a level that I can still function. On the very worst days I need something stronger, but I only have days like that occasionally now that I have improved my overall lifestyle, and a large part of that is learning to accept the pain instead of fighting it.

Taking more and more pain medication that is terrible for your health is not the best approach, as it will bring you even more misery eventually.

Check out this post, and if you have questions, please ask.

Sunkacola Thank you for your reply. I also hate to take these steroids. I try to avoid as much as possible, but there are some instances where it is my only option for relief. I am on a five day dose now. My flare this time is one of the worst i have ever had. Just very upsetting when nothing seems to help. ☹️

Sunkacola Thank you for your reply. I also hate to take these steroids. I try to avoid as much as possible, but there are some instances where it is my only option for relief. I am on a five day dose now. My flare this time is one of the worst i have ever had. Just very upsetting when nothing seems to help. ☹️
Hi Momof3boyz,

I'm so sorry - that sounds awful. Do you have any sense of what might have triggered your flare, or what might still be triggering it now? For myself at least, I think that sometimes the stress of trying to resolve a flare has actually contributed to keeping it around! Don't beat yourself up for taking the steroids right now, but perhaps see if there's anything else you can change, do, or indeed not do, to help find your way out of this one - perhaps you'll hit on a strategy that helps next time before the steroids start to feel necessary. Either way, keep the faith that this will pass. I really hope you feel better soon, and wish there was more we could do to help.

Thank you so much for those words if encouragement !! I think your right as far as added stress while going through a rough flare adds to more pain. I did wake up today feeling a bit better….its a blessing !! Have a beautiful day !

I know this sounds a little strange, or at least it might. But what I have found is that if the non-medication things I do to ease a flare don't work and the medication only works a little or not at all, the best thing I have found to do is not to take more or stronger medication but just give in to it. We have to consciously learn how to do this, because the most instinctive reaction we have to pain as animals is to try to get away from it. This is very natural and often useful - if the fire burns, you take your hand away!

But in the case of human beings, we also have an emotional/intellectual response to it that other animals do not have. I have always had companion animals. I have lived with animals that I know have to be in pain. For instance, one of my dogs tore a cruciate ligament one time and, apart from a yelp when it happened, never expressed pain outwardly in the week it took to get him in to surgery to take care of it. The only sign was that he wouldn't put weight on that leg. The vet moved the leg around and he did not yelp. I was amazed, because I know how much that had to hurt, but the vet said that what causes human beings to feel pain the most, the emotional reaction we have and the tension of muscles that results in our resistance to it, is absent for animals. They just feel the pain on a physical level and do not attach emotion to it,.

I realized that what makes our pain worse is our tendency to fight against it. We try to fix it, and when that doesn't work we feel a strong emotion: fear, despair, frustration, anger, "why me?", determination to DO something, and so on. It's really all those emotions that make the pain worse than it needs to be.

When I stopped fighting it and learned just to give in to it completely, fully accepting that today I won't get anything done and I simply have to experience and get through the pain, I found that the pain caused me far less anguish. Instead of lying on the couch groaning and fighting it, I am able to watch a film to distract myself, or read a book if I am able to concentrate. If I do not fight it every moment of the day. I am able to relax my muscles, which eases the pain, even if only slightly.

Jemima has introduced me, and all of us here, to the phrase "Radical Acceptance", which immediately clicked with me, as this term describes the kind of acceptance that I feel is necessary.

This does make sense. I do try and distract myself when i cant find relief. It does help when your not focused on the pain but on something else. I guess like you said muscles arent as tense. But i tell you, sometimes it just feels good to finally feel good. I really would love to stop all of my medications, but with 3 boys, a hubby and two dogs i need all the help i can get. But i really do understand what your saying. Thank you for the advise 💕

Steroids are very dangerous. There are many other drugs. Is there a PT place near you with a heated pool? In the winter I try to do 6 weeks in a heated pool. It is the very best thing to do. Are you taking magnesium? There are many herbs that are not harmful like meds to help with pain and mood.

I was wondering if anyone is using the medication Savella for their fibromyalgia ? I am currently on cymbalta. Also, i am currently experiencing a bad flare so my doctor increased my prednisone to 50mg for 5 days. I am on day 2 and still have pain in my muscles. In the past prednisone at a lower dose has help tremendously. I am so depressed !! Any info would be greatly appreciated thank you 🙏

Hi I have fybromyalgia and bad pain and stiffness in my muscles it's the worst in the morning
I am on muscle relaxers now and they work great for the pain and stiffness in the muscles

I take Gabapentine along with Cybalata. Since I have survived to age 85 with FM I gladly take Norco for daily pain as I’m to old to get into trouble. I found the two drugs worked will toge for many years, not eliminating pain but controlling it.

I do take hot baths with lavender Epsom salt. I find they can be helpful. I dont take magnesium but I will look into that. I am willing to give anything a try !

I do take hot baths with lavender Epsom salt. I find they can be helpful. I dont take magnesium but I will look into that. I am willing to give anything a try !
A magnesium supplement helps me a lot! I was surprised!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back