Pregnanct and Depression

Status
Not open for further replies.

LoobyLu32

Hi,

Feeling super low and lonely at the moment, think i just need to chat to someone who understands. I was diagnosed about 5 years ago and have always suffered with depression. Me and my partner have been trying for a baby for a year, and after a horrific miscarraige 6 months ago, i'm now 7 weeks pregnant and all is well, other than pretty awful morning sickness. I'm over the moon and so is my partner, i've wanted this for a long time. But for some reason the depression is hitting hard. i'm not on any pain meds, just antidepressants which until recently were working really well for me. I'm worried about miscarrying again, worried about how i'm going to cope in pregnancy and really worried how i'm going to cope with a baby. I have a 10 year old son from a previous relationship and i know i will have a lot more support from my current partner but the fibro wasn't an issue before. On top of all these worries, my sister in law has really upset me and we have fallen out in a big way. My partner is very close with his family and it's really stressing me out. i dont feel like i have anyone to talk to about it all.

Hi,

So sorry you are feeling this way and feeling so low. Your hormones really mess you about so much. My partner went through a similar experience when we were expecting our 1st child. It's what we had been planning for so long and what we wanted then all of a sudden it hit. She didn't want to have the baby anymore, she was just happy with it being the 2 of us. She was walking around like a zombie most of the time as her head was in some other dark place. Needless to say we got through it and had 4 more children after and our 1st born will be a teenager in a couple of months.

Although it seems a long way to go time passes quickly and things will get better. Try and talk to people especially your GP. Maybe some alternative medication or higher dose may help.

I really hope things start improving for you and your hormones calm down and then you can enjoy your pregnancy and your little bundle when they arrive.

Big hugs and take care x

Hi LoobyLu,

I'm sorry you're having such a rough ride. My sister had real trouble with depression around her pregnancy too, so I can also imagine a little of what you're going through. Between the miscarriage and the family stress, it makes sense that you're feeling a huge strain right now, and that's bound to affect you both physically and mentally. But know that you are so much stronger than you imagine, and this pesky stowaway called fibromyalgia might be good at making its presence known, but the hurt it can inflict is always limited in both scale and duration.

I think that the best thing you can do is go all-out on being kind to yourself, going self-care crazy, and forgiving yourself for being worried or afraid. Part of the reason this is all impacting you so much is that you have a big heart, which means that whatever happens, the final picture will be defined by love. Hang in there and don't lose sight of your hope. Talk to us here whenever you want to - you might feel alone sometimes, but you're not. There is always someone who will understand and care, even if they're reached electronically! 🌸

Hi LoobyLu, You can come here and talk to us any time. We are here to help in whatever way we can. I can sympathize with your concerns about having fibro and having a baby to care for as well. Whatever we can do to support you, we will be there for you as you go through this process.

HI. LOOBYLU,
Congratulations on your pregnancy! That is exciting!
I'm sorry to hear about your miscarriage. That is an horrible thing to go through.

I CAn relate as my situation was similar. I was 20 and healthy when I had my son. I was pregnant with my daughter 12 years later. So not only was I 33 but had my health problems.
Support is maybe the most important thing so its great you feel your partner will be there for you.
Is your partner understanding of the fibromyalgia?
Remember that all moms have super powers!
Have you ever tried yoga for stress? I started yoga when I was pregnant with my daughter. I really enjoyed it.

Thank you everyone for your lovely messages of support. It really does help to know others have been in the same place. I'm feeling a bit better mood wise at the moment, and have been concentrating on self care as suggested. Unfortunatly i'm also really suffering with morning sickness and IBS which has taken it out of me but it's starting to calm down a bit now. My partner is being really helpful and supporting, he doesn't fully understand the fibro and depression but he tries and that's what counts.

@Momzilla I have done a bit of yoga and pilates in the past, i find it hard to do by myself though and can't afford to go to classes at the moment. i might speak to my partner about it and see if we can squeeze some sessions in for me xxx

Oh I agree its hard to self motivate alone. with yoga I prefer a teacher too. Especially when pregnant to make sure everything is safe.
You can watch yoga on YouTube or if you have TV apps. Ive found a lot on Amazon prime app. But still hard to focus at home. I was really lucky I didn't have morning sickness with either of my kids but with my daughter I had horrible problems with constipation. Not to be too personal. But being backed up was making me sick all the time. It got so bad I had to stop prenatal since the iron can cause constipation. The doctor gave me prescription prenatal that were supposed to not cause that problem.

yoga and pilates in the past, i find it hard to do by myself though
I trick myself by doing one to several minutes thru-out the day, while waiting, sitting, doing other things etc...

I trick myself by doing one to several minutes thru-out the day, while waiting, sitting, doing other things etc...
very good way of going about it, Jay.
I have used that same technique with many different things, not only exercise.

For someone who is suffering pain, and cannot conceive of doing a half hour of exercise, getting started with one or two minutes is a great way to begin. that is what I did and it allowed me to work up from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back