Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
01/2000
Country
US
State
TN
Why is this forum not private? It shows up in google search if someone uses or knows your Profile name.

Jemima

Very helpful member
Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
11/2019
Country
PT
Hi IcePonyGirl,

I'm not part of the forum team, but think I can answer.

This is an anonymous forum - we can all choose any username we wish and reveal as little or as much about our identity as we want to. There's no need to share your username elsewhere, share facts that would reveal your identity, or use a username that others might recognise you by.

By keeping the forum public, it means that people struggling with fibromyalgia are able to find the conversations that are relevant to them when they search online. This makes the ideas, empathy, and wisdom shared here far more available to the people who need it most. Not all people will think to join a forum directly - but after coming here by chance, they may simply take away useful pieces of information, or decide to join and become a part of the conversation. Either way, they'll know that they're not alone.

sunkacola

Very helpful member
Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
Uni
State
Somewhere
As a moderator, I agree with everything Jemima said.
It is always inadvisable to put any personal information out on the internet, and if you use a username that in some way indicates who you are, that is also inadvisable. As Jemima says, it's important for this to be a public forum so as to help as many people as possible, which is our purpose.

Lemon

But why are there so many bots on here? I just saw like 200 browsing the forums. Also, I agree user names should stay anonymous even on a public forums

Jemima

Very helpful member
Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
11/2019
Country
PT
But why are there so many bots on here? I just saw like 200 browsing the forums. Also, I agree user names should stay anonymous even on a public forums
The user names here are anonymous, because - unless we choose otherwise - they're not our real names! As you've chosen "Lemon", nobody can connect your account to your real identity.

All of us are followed everywhere we go online by bots - the difference is that on this site, we can see them. Every time we accept cookies when a web page loads or go on Social Media we ensure that we will be tracked (accepting trackers is in Facebook's user policy!) Also, keep in mind that several of the bots will be search engine crawlers - this is how Google, Bing, and other sites know what's out there - and without them, we wouldn't be able to find anything online!

sunkacola

Very helpful member
Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
Uni
State
Somewhere
What Jemima says is accurate. Those bots are everywhere y ou go. I have blockers on my computer that stop me from seeing them or any advertising, but I know they are still there.
And the username you have is anonymous. If you do not fill in information on your locality, real name, or other personal information in your Profile, and if you reveal nothing online that reveals who you are, then you are anonymous on this forum.

Of course, if the US government wanted to know who sunkacola is, they would find out in ten seconds, and I suspect the same is true for many other governments. Hackers can also trace your IP if they have that kind of skill, as we all know. But this is not a genuine worry or threat because it is highly unlikely that anyone would be interested in doing that, so I don't think about it.