Not open for further replies.

fibr o_o head

Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
04/2020
Country
UK
Hi everybody! I'm new to the forum so hello everyone :)

I am 27 and I was just a few months ago diagnosed with fibro. I am finding my feet and it is all a bit overwhelming. Trying to take each day as it comes.

I experience pain and definitely, nausea every day, but I know I am luckier than some. At the moment though, nausea and the feeling of being constantly on the verge of having a migraine -- these 2 symptoms are absolutely ruining my life. I'm a PhD student so I need to be able to concentrate. Earlier my nausea / migraine feeling was so bad I tried to count the number of lumps on a tree trunk in order to focus my mind and was unable to do it, so this is the level that we're talking.

The neurologist I have been dealing with (via occasional letters! this is the NHS after all! ;) ) has suggested I go on propranolol for this symptom. I know this is a beta blocker, because I was put on it before, a few years ago, for anxiety -- and so I can understand the logic here. But the reason I resisted staying on propranolol despite the positive effect it had on my anxiety was that it gave me terrible, consistent, insomnia. Since a good night's sleep is obviously fundamental to resisting 'bumps' or downturns in the world of fibro (I've been calling them bumps) I'm at a bit of a loss here.

I just wondered if anybody else suffers nausea and migrainey headaches, plus a feeling of sinus pressure, with their fibro or CFS and whether you took the beta blocker route and what your experience was?

Thanks a lot everyone xx

Reactions: RLG
Hi fibr o o head, So sorry to hear you are having to deal with all this while trying to do a challenging course of work in school. I really feel for you.

If the medication will give you insomnia then avoid it, is my advice, You will only be trading one problem for another, and what good is that? Plus, you NEED to get enough sleep. If you don't, it is guaranteed to make everything else worse.

Try ginger tincture for the nausea. I have had chronic nausea for many years. At one point I was nauseous 24 hours a day for about 2 years. Low-grade, not enough to feel as though I were about to throw up but enough to be very irritating and make eating hard. The tincture of ginger helped a little bit, but didn't remove the problem. I saw a homeopath and the remedy he gave me made the nausea stop completely for about 2 years, but it started again when I had a trauma in my life. You might try seeing a homeopath. Now I live with the nausea but it is not constant, just occasional. I think medical cannabis helps a great deal with this. they give it to cancer patients to help with the nausea. I know you can't get it in the UK. I am sorry about that - it should be legal everywhere.

I have not experienced migraines and so don't have any help for you on that.

One thing I do when I am having an anxiety attack is an exercise I learned while reading about things that help people with panic attacks. I look around me, wherever I am, and I see 4 things that are in the area. Like, for instance, chair, window, mirror, fan. Or, mountain, rock, tree, backpack. Then I just keep looking at each of them in turn and repeating the words out loud, slowly. It should take 8 to 10 seconds to go through the four items naming them. I just keep doing this over and over and over, and eventually the panic or anxiety releases, at least enough to bring my heart rate down a bit.

I have no idea if this would help with your major problems, but it might be worth a try. I wish you luck.

Thanks sunkacola that's really helpful ☺

God I'm really sorry to hear you had nausea for 2 years, give or take: that sounds unbelievably appalling. I'm really glad you found out something which works for you. Do you know what the homeopath was using?

I was just wondering, do you have any advice about what time of day to take the ginger tincture and in what amounts?

Everything you've written here is really helpful and inspiring: thanks so much for taking the time. X FH

Hello again,

I do remember what the homeopath gave me. But telling you won't help you. Homeopathy is an approach to health that has to take into account all of the variables in a person's life and body and even personality. You cannot just buy a remedy that worked for one person and expect it to work for you when it is something systemic like this. Sure, there are those you can just buy and use, for various simple things. But this is not one of those things. I worked for a few years with a wonderful homeopath and he helped me. But some remedies we tried that had a good effect for some people had a very bad or strange effect for me. It needs to be personalized. I suggest you see a homeopath to see what works for you.

About the ginger tincture. I have taken it at all times of the day; it doesn't matter. But start small and build up because if you take a large dose at first it might make you feel worse. If you wait until you are already very nauseous it may not work so take it before it gets to that point.

You can make your own. I do. Just take fresh ginger root and grate it very fine. Put it into a jar and add vodka enough to float the ginger but not more than that. Shake hard. Put this in a cool dark place and shake hard twice a day for about a week, strain and you have tincture. Put it into a small bottle that has a dropper so you can easily regulate how much you take. Much cheaper than buying it and works just as well as expensive store bought stuff. Don't worry about the alcohol. You will only be taking - at most - 10ml of it at a time, so you won't feel any effect from the alcohol.

Thank you so much for all that advice, s-c. Will definitely take all that into consideration! X FH

Hi fibr o o head, So sorry to hear you are having to deal with all this while trying to do a challenging course of work in school. I really feel for you.

If the medication will give you insomnia then avoid it, is my advice, You will only be trading one problem for another, and what good is that? Plus, you NEED to get enough sleep. If you don't, it is guaranteed to make everything else worse.

Try ginger tincture for the nausea. I have had chronic nausea for many years. At one point I was nauseous 24 hours a day for about 2 years. Low-grade, not enough to feel as though I were about to throw up but enough to be very irritating and make eating hard. The tincture of ginger helped a little bit, but didn't remove the problem. I saw a homeopath and the remedy he gave me made the nausea stop completely for about 2 years, but it started again when I had a trauma in my life. You might try seeing a homeopath. Now I live with the nausea but it is not constant, just occasional. I think medical cannabis helps a great deal with this. they give it to cancer patients to help with the nausea. I know you can't get it in the UK. I am sorry about that - it should be legal everywhere.

I have not experienced migraines and so don't have any help for you on that.

One thing I do when I am having an anxiety attack is an exercise I learned while reading about things that help people with panic attacks. I look around me, wherever I am, and I see 4 things that are in the area. Like, for instance, chair, window, mirror, fan. Or, mountain, rock, tree, backpack. Then I just keep looking at each of them in turn and repeating the words out loud, slowly. It should take 8 to 10 seconds to go through the four items naming them. I just keep doing this over and over and over, and eventually the panic or anxiety releases, at least enough to bring my heart rate down a bit.

I have no idea if this would help with your major problems, but it might be worth a try. I wish you luck.
Hello at the risk of sounding dumb - why the nausea ? The reason I ask is that I was soaking this morning and had nausea and it had happened a few days prior- thank you

Hi. I've been dealing with fibro for about 6 years. I keep some kind of peppermint around for nausea. (Like york patties ). And peppermint essential oil to inhale for headaches. Medical marijuana works as well.

Hello at the risk of sounding dumb - why the nausea ? The reason I ask is that I was soaking this morning and had nausea and it had happened a few days prior- thank you
If you are asking me WHY I had chronic nausea for years and still do at times, the answer is I don't know. No doctor has ever been able to tell me why.

I don't know why I get nauseous. I thought it might be from hashimoto thyroiditis that I'm so lucky to have on top of fibro.

Another thing -- try going gluten-free? And see if it helps with the nausea. I know my whole GI tract changed how it operated (much for the better) when I went gluten-free. Or maybe lactose intolerance? Other food allergies or sensitivities? Try different things. But only one at a time, be very diligent in reading labels, and give it a month before deciding it doesn't help.

I have stopped grains, dairy, nightshade vegetables and sugar but still get nauseous.

Well, it was good to try those things to find out. Don't know what to say to you, really. I still have chronic nausea, but it is a lot less frequent than it used to be. I have decided to settle for that. But I am not saying you have to.

Definitely good to stop eating wheat since they spray it with poison. Just found out that they also spray chickpeas. This is why I now grow my own. There are alot of foods that cause inflammation so be careful what you eat or you can cause a flare up

Definitely good to stop eating wheat since they spray it with poison. Just found out that they also spray chickpeas. This is why I now grow my own. There are alot of foods that cause inflammation so be careful what you eat or you can cause a flare up
Unfortunately, they spray everything with poison...pesticides, chemicals to enhance shelf-life, and many more..
And most things include GMOs as well.
So if you want to avoid those, buy strictly organic. I try to get as much organic as I can afford, but unfortunately my budget won't allow me to get everything organic. If yours does, do that.

Nausea...OMG yes. I get it, too. Thought it was menopause or (bite my tongue) a late life pregnancy even (nooo!) I thought it might be a new symptom of ocular migraine. It just gets worse. It is worse for me in the morning. If I drink a large amount of fluids all at once on an empty stomach like a big glass of water, or eat a bowl of cereal or especially a glass of the psyllium fiber I use to stop the other issues (bowel.) This morning it was SO bad, I ran for the bathroom. I can almost always talk myself through it before it gets that far. Not fun.
I haven't tried anything for it yet, it only started being a real issue for me these past several months when ALL fibro symptoms became so bad for me.
I am going to try the ginger tincture, for sure, as suggested by sunkacola.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back