Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
08/2013
Country
US
State
ME
Hey fibro friends, I am wondering if any of you are taking or have taken provigil (generic modafinil) for fatigue, mental alertness or fibro fog? I was looking at studies the other day, trying to find something that will help and came across a few small research studies for this medication. There were mixed reviews...for some it works, others not. Though it when it seems to work, it works well. (But then, tell me something new about every fibro treatment or regimen.) I am trying to work part time as I can't afford not to work, and my biggest issue is mental acuity. Trying to write a grant that would be a no brainer in the past and I can't focus. Email are a challenge as well. Heck, these posts take forever to write. I'm willing to try just about anything! I've asked my doc if she would do some research as prescribing it would be off label. Any thoughts?

i had one doc prescribe it for me when i had lyme on top of the fibro about 7 years ago. i forget how much i got but he did not refill. i remember feeling speedy from it. i must not have liked it for whatever reason because i found some in the drawer later on. i currently take adderall since getting an adhd diagnosis maybe a year ago. it has made a huge diference in my desire to do but got in trouble not knowing when to stop doing. (pushing myself too long organizing that drawer). and now, its helping my fatigue but i am still so overwhelmingly tired. (went a week without it and i slept the whole week)
i suggest trying it if your doc has no issues writing the script. (many docs wont) give it a chance, may need to tweek the dosage.
anything can become addicting when you get benefit from it. it's not about relying on the med to be, it's just about being able.

My doc prescribed modafinil for me for my fatigue, but my insurance wouldn't pay for its use off-label. It would have cost me my entire month's pay check to pay for a 30-day supply out of pocket, so I'll never know whether it might have worked for me.

Corvid, that's what I'm concerned about. I'll just have to plead my case, I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back